Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 30" HDMI TV as a monitor for 12" PB

30" HDMI TV as a monitor for 12" PB
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 01:54 AM

Hi! Does anyone know how the quality is when connecting the DVI output of a PB to an HDMI TV input? HDMI is a new connection that is backwards compatible with DVI. It merely adds audio into the connection. I'm looking into getting the 12" PowerBook and a Sanyo HT30744 30" TV for my dorm room. I thought this would be a nice way to have a larger monitor, if the quality will be good enough for surfing the internet and playing a few games. I've been wanting a widescreen TV, and I also need a very portable computer. I don't need anything too big, regarding the TV, and I've read good things about the Sanyo. What do you all think about using an HDTV as a monitor? Thanks for any help!

Rob

TypeMRT
Jun 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Looks like all that you need are two cables:
Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter $20
HDMI to DVI Cable $50

Seems like if the HDMI interface detects only video that's what it will show; letting audio work to be handled by the audio inputs.

Good luck with what looks like a sweet setup!

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 06:46 PM

If you do it and it works (which it sounds like it will) post pictures and let us know how it goes!!

That would be one amazing set-up!!! Good Luck!
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 08:59 PM

I just bought an HDTV yesterday that I use as a monitor with my Power Mac MDD in my living room. I'll post pics later, but I use a DVI to DVI cable...works ok, and plays games and DVDs fairly well. THe resolution is a little off but it works really nicely. I'm going to use the Power Mac as my Digital Hub...literally...jukebox, TIVO, DVD Player, Gaming System, all on my 30" widescreen...droooool
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 09:07 PM

Ooooooo...please post pics! I'm very interested! Glad you're enjoying it. Would you recommend this setup? Thanks!

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 09:30 PM

Ok, here are some pics. My only beef is the Power Mac with it's Radeon 9000 card's resolution doesn't accurately matchup with the monitor. It cuts off the top and the bottom of the screen (dock and menu bar) But it plays games beautifully and since i have a spare T68i and Salling clicker, I use the phone to control the DVD player and iTunes. Kinda nice. Notice a massive DVD collection to the right of it too...all of which play beautifully on this gorgeous display...if only it were an Apple 30" LCD...

Pics Here

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

Nice! What kind of TV is that? Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the resolution to match the monitor?

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 09:39 PM

Thanks. It's a Samsung TX-P3071 something. Got it for a grand at Best Buy yesterday. Built-in HDTV tuner is REALLY nice, considering you spend $200+ on an external one anyway and every other 30" HDTV monitor is about a grand anyway. Not sure how to cram the resolution in there. I have to tinker with it a bit I think...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:00 PM

I have a 42" Plasma that I use to show Iphoto Pics to family & friends..... works great, wish I had a good wireless keyboard & mouse that works from 35 feet so I could use it from my recliner!

Picture during remodeling!

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...hp?picid=96214
( Last edited by romeosc; Jun 28, 2004 at 10:19 PM. )

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:04 PM

the resolution DOES match the monitor, TVs just have overscan (part of the picture is hidden behind the edges of the screen). The amount of overscan depends on the TV, but it's usually around 5% on each edge with most TVs. On the PC side of things, there are programs to set the resolution to around 1776x1000 (instead of 1920x1080) to eliminate that overscan, but i'm not sure if this is possible with OS X.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

Really cool stuff you're doing there guys.

I hope someone influential at Apple reads this thread. Imagine the possibilities of Apple taking this idea and running with it. AirTunes? AirMovie? AirEverything? All in a neat Apple package. Or a single mac in your home that your whole family can use from any room?
tin pot, garden shed

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 02:07 PM

It could actually just be that the image format on the TV needs to be adjusted to 4:3 from panoramic/stretched/whatever rather than an issue with the output - I have the same problem with my S-video connection to my TV. Choosing 4:3 format on the TV corrects it for me. However, if it is an "overscan" issue, there is an option in the Display prefs for this when you are mirroring/using your TV as a second monitor.

FWIW, S-video resolution on my old-style analogue TV is pretty bad, but good enough for using it as a "palette holder"

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
Ok, here are some pics. My only beef is the Power Mac with it's Radeon 9000 card's resolution doesn't accurately matchup with the monitor. It cuts off the top and the bottom of the screen (dock and menu bar) But it plays games beautifully and since i have a spare T68i and Salling clicker, I use the phone to control the DVD player and iTunes. Kinda nice. Notice a massive DVD collection to the right of it too...all of which play beautifully on this gorgeous display...if only it were an Apple 30" LCD...

Pics Here
Haha, you spoke too soon. Looks like they now have a 30" display:

"Job then introduced 20-, 23- and 30-inch Apple Cinema displays that feature an aluminum finish and both FireWire0 (2) and USB 2.0 (2) connections, but no longer uses the Apple-standard ADC connection. The displays are $1299, $1999, and $3299, respectively. The 30-inch display, supporting resolutions of up to 2560x1600, requires a new $599 Nvidia graphics card with 2 DVI connections (running in parallel) and a Power Mac G5."
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 01:21 AM

Yeah, I expected those long before the announcement today. That's why I spent $900 on my television instead of 3 grand for doing the same thing. I
will be getting a dual 30" setup with a 2.5 G5 for my production office...at least that's what my producer said we could do...
( Last edited by filmmaker2002; Jun 29, 2004 at 01:28 AM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 11:21 AM

Wow dual 30" displays, is that really necessary? I could careless though, dual 30" displays would be killer!!!!Your lucky .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules