Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Logic 6 and XSKey

Logic 6 and XSKey
michelangelo33
Jun 26, 2004, 08:53 PM

I just installed Logic 6. I have the XSKey, but it is required every time I use the application?
I'm using a laptop and sometimes I work away from home. I thought the key was only required to authorize software for add-ons and upgrades. But, I cannot open Logic without it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2004, 09:58 PM

That is correct. It is copy protection that needs to be attached the entire time you use Logic, wherever you are (which is why it's a keychain thingie).

Logic will quit if you remove the XSKey, *including* when you do so while the machine is asleep/closed (removing the XSKey will wake the machine).

This really sucks for laptop users, and I have complained to several people from/close to Emagic.

Fact is: the XSKey in its current form is one of very few copy protection systems that has not been hacked.

-s*

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

Fact is: the XSKey in its current form is one of very few copy protection systems that has not been hacked.

-s*
i run (and own) logic on my powerbook, and the key is a major nuisance; but, for the record, my old studio partner had logic and a (hacked) software dongle, so it has been done...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i run (and own) logic on my powerbook, and the key is a major nuisance; but, for the record, my old studio partner had logic and a (hacked) software dongle, so it has been done...
Unless it was a previous version (ie before 5 and not compatible with os X) then he was most likely running a cracked beta with major problems. It's the only version I've heard of that was cracked. It's not suitable to any kind of real world (stable) uses.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 08:09 PM

Correct.

"In its cuurent form" should have been "implementation"

Forum Links
Forum Rules