Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Photographers - What Do You Use?

Photographers - What Do You Use? (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by euphras:
A minolta XD 7 (sold as XD 11 in USA) with a 1:1.2 50 mm MC Rokkor (don�t need a flash very often ;-)

and a Minolta X-700 as my spare body
Nice. I have an old Minolta SR-7 that I retired a while back.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2004, 01:34 AM

Anyone play with the Sony DSC-828?

Mike

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 16, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by starman:
yeah, a coworker has one. it's big like the F707 we have at work, but, of course, a slick black.
the menu system was overly slick, but didn't seem like it would get in the way. didn't get to take it out for a test drive or anything, but it seemed like a nice solid replacement for the F7x7 series (which i'm a big fan of).

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by starman:

Mike
Check the reviews and boards over at dpreview.com

They have a lot of good and bad things to say about the 828.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 02:48 AM

Minolta Maxxum 5
Sigma 28-80 f (3.5-5.6)
Sigma 70-300 f (4-5.6)

Pentax spotmatic
Super-Takumar 55 f1.8
135mm
35mm
(to lazy to look at my lenses)

Yashica Mat-124G

I made the mistake of leaving my Pentax on the roof of my car and driving off, it messed up the lens pretty bad, but the body was ok, but i have not figured out why the meter does not work... the batteries are odd, and i use my Minolta for most of my stuff... I have not put a roll through my Yashica yet, that should be done by next week, i hope it turns out well...

P.D.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
Check the reviews and boards over at dpreview.com

They have a lot of good and bad things to say about the 828.
I read that already, but it was the only thing I read. I was hoping to get some "real world" experiences with it from anyone who's played with it.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
yeah, a coworker has one. it's big like the F707 we have at work, but, of course, a slick black.
the menu system was overly slick, but didn't seem like it would get in the way. didn't get to take it out for a test drive or anything, but it seemed like a nice solid replacement for the F7x7 series (which i'm a big fan of).
My only gripe with the 707 was the 15-second limit on taking movies. So retarded. My P72 takes an unlimited amount of movies. Works in a pinch.

I don't think I'd give up the 707 after reading dpreview.com. I was hoping for something more earth shattering.

Mike

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by york28:

I'm currently deliberating between one of those new fangled digital SLRs and getting a good film/slide scanner and a newer 35mm body. I love all-manual SLRs but sometimes I miss actions shots due to the lack of auto-focus.

Some photos I've taken can be found here.
my advice:

go for a used Nikon f4 (manual controls with excellent af) and the new 5400dpi minolta film scanner

used F4's are around $400-800
the minolta is aound $800
... there are also cheaper, 4000dpi nikon scanners out there, or just buy the new 4800 dpi epson for $450

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 04:50 PM

I was going to buy a 300D aka Digital Rebel, until I found the Nikon D70. Nikon took the opportunity of being behind in the Prosumer segment and raised the bar an order of magnitude after Canon had put out a product that looked nearly untouchable.

I can't wait to get my hands on that camera!

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2004, 04:36 PM

if you have a DSLR, do yourself a favor and get Photoshop CS and learn about shooting in RAW mode.

All those complaints about less then stellar color, or anything else for that matter, can be addressed by shooting RAW. It's amazing, actually, what you can do with a shot. I'm talking nearly worthless picture to perfect color balance, white points, contrast, etc. Heck, you can even fix vignetting on your cheaper lenses with that combo.

Can't beat it, even for a pro IMO (all the pros I've had to deal with lately are fully digital...)

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 11:37 PM

Hi, slightly OT, but just wondering - when buying used cameras, would you rather buy from, say, B&H online or a local camera dealer or via eBay? The camera shops are more expensive, but I've heard they are on the ball in making sure the equipment is in good condition, i.e. not rusted, no light leaks, intact shutter foam pads, accurate metering, etc, and that eBay can lead to some disaster stories...

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 08:55 AM

Go local... that way, you can beat on them with a stick if its a lemon - and some shops will even sell warranties...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 10:42 AM

Just picked up a Canon A75 as my first foray into digital. Other kit:
Canon Elph jr. for sneaking into places
Nikon FM w/
Nikon 50mm f2 - f16
Tokina 28-85mm f2.5 - f22 zoom/macro that I use as my regular lens
Soligdor 80mm-200mm f4.5 - f22 zoom/macro
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 10:51 AM

Current Kit

Nikon F4s (F4 + MB-21)
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6
Sigma 24-70 f3.5-5.6
SB-25

Canon AE-1
50mm f2
70-210 f3.8-5.6

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by tycheung:
Hi, slightly OT, but just wondering - when buying used cameras, would you rather buy from, say, B&H online or a local camera dealer or via eBay? The camera shops are more expensive, but I've heard they are on the ball in making sure the equipment is in good condition, i.e. not rusted, no light leaks, intact shutter foam pads, accurate metering, etc, and that eBay can lead to some disaster stories...
B&H are very good. Utterly trustworthy. Right now is a good time to get used professional film equipment. A lot of working pros are going digital and there is a lot of the top quality workhorse equipment on the market -- especially Nikon and Hasselblad. Prices are consequently lower than they have been in recent years. So you may also find bargains at your local store. Just find the one in your location that the professionals use. Happy hunting!

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 10:56 AM

Canon 10d
Canon 75-300 (borrowed longterm from brother)
Canon 80-200
Canon 28-105
Canon 50mm macro

It's only a month old and I've all ready shot over 1600 pictures learning to use it!! (first SLR ever)

Bought most my stuff from Onecall.com. Great resellerrating and great over all experience!
Joe

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 27, 2004, 10:56 AM

bought a Sony P10 yesterday. i notice it can do 2592*1944, so i'm pretty sure tooki had nothing to do with manufacturing it.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jun 27, 2004, 03:40 PM

• Canon EOS-1n (w/battery pack)
  • 80-200mm/2.8
  • 20mm/2.8
  • 35mm/2.0
  • Speedlight 430

velodev
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 05:50 PM

Minolta Dimage 7 - with the firmware upgrade available when 7i came out.

It's a love/hate relationship. It probably makes great photos - I just never have it on me at the most opportune times. The batteries get eaten in minutes, not hours. I had to buy an Ansmann energy16 charger to get my arsenal of batteries ready for the next day.

I have three 1gb microdrives for it, now only two - one can't be read in the Minolta but can be read everywhere else. Never did much troubleshooting.

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 08:43 AM

Just getting back into it...and picked up some new toys a week ago...

Canon 10D Body
Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8

jersey
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 02:38 PM

i use a Canon Elan IIe when i'm just kickin around town or whatever. but when i go out to work i use a Fuji GW690 III.

Best. Glass. Ever.

oh.....and my sx70 too.

oreo75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 04:54 PM

I've got a Sony DSC-P92, which even on the 1.2 mode takes good pictures.

I love digital camera's, it's great just to be able to take the camera out & not worry about what you are taking pictures of, as you haven't got to worry about the cost of getting prints developed or being limited by 24 or 36 prints per film.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by york28:

Some photos I've taken can be found here.
****!

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by euphras:
A minolta XD 7 (sold as XD 11 in USA) with a 1:1.2 50 mm MC Rokkor (don�t need a flash very often ;-)

and a Minolta X-700 as my spare body
1:1.2 ??
The lens says 1:1.7

OreoCookie
Jun 30, 2004, 09:35 AM

Before I have killed my F80 (own stupidity, the cameral almost survived the impact), it was an F80 with a Tokina 2.8 28-80 mm lens.

Now, I'm dreaming of the D70, but I will probably not be able to afford it for some time (other priorities right now). So I have to live with my Olympus C4040-Zoom which I don't really like (I want an SLR!).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jun 30, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Leica M6-TTL
Leica M4-P
Leica 35mm Summicron-Asph f2
Leica 50mm Summicron-M f2
Leitz 90mm Summicron f2
Voigtlander/Cosina 15mm f4.5 Heliar

Hasselblad 500c/m
Zeiss 80mm Planar-C
Zeiss 150mm Sonnar-C
2 x A12 backs
Kiev prism
NPC Polaroid back
Hasselblad waist level finder
Minolta Autometer IV light meter
Sekonic Twinmate light meter.

Quantum Q2 flash with Turbo battery and TTL adapter for the Leica M6-TTL
Novatron 1000 w/s studio flash with 4 heads
Background stands

Omega D2v enlarger
Schneider Componon 80mm f4 enlarging lens
Schneider Componon 50mm f2.8 enlarging lens.

That's the major stuff.
Very nice, very nice.

OreoCookie
Jun 30, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
I was going to buy a 300D aka Digital Rebel, until I found the Nikon D70. Nikon took the opportunity of being behind in the Prosumer segment and raised the bar an order of magnitude after Canon had put out a product that looked nearly untouchable.

I can't wait to get my hands on that camera!
Ditto, the Nikon feels much sturdier than the Canon and has one feature that I don't want to miss: spot metering. Plus, I don't like Canon's way of using a camera, but that's just my personal opinion.

york28
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
****!
Oh yeah... I switched domain names recently, and haven't yet reuploaded my site. What happened was that my domain expired since I wasn't really paying attention to when it needed to be renewed, and then some domain poaching company bought it the second it was available.

I'm not really to upset though, since that old domain kinda sucked (try dictating it to someone- jim bee dot dot net- huh?), and I have gotten most of my email contacts sorted out, so everything is ok. Plus I like the new domain a lot more: infiniteexpanse.net

Photos will be back soon...

Everyone's been talking cameras, but what about film (those that still use it)? I started using Fugi Provia 100F (color slide) and it's just awesome.

I also decided on a new (or the newset I can find) Pentax ZX-5n body- it's an autofocus SLR but has controls in the standard manual two-knob layout, plus no space wasted on special automatic shooting modes. It will work with the lenses I have, and hold me over a year-ish, when I will probably take the leap to a DSLR.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 12:12 PM

I generally shoot Tmax-100 or 100-Kodak Royal Gold.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 12:33 PM

Quote: originally posted by badidea:

"1:1.2 ??
The lens says 1:1.7"

Since i have no webspace to host pic�s of mine i had to google for an appropriate pic of the XD-7. The depicted one is not mine.....btw, the 1:1.2 IS AMAZING, best general application lens i ever worked with.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules