Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Chip on LCD

Chip on LCD
ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 08:08 PM

Hi all. I wanted to share this with all of you to provide a heads up. I'm using Radtech's keyboard cover and slip case to protect my 15 inch PB from dings and the like. I'm off over the summer and use my Powerbook quite a bit on the deck and the front porch, surfing with Airport. Apparently, a small stone or other object got onto my keyboard cover and when I closed the lid to my Powerbook...well, you can guess the rest. I now have a very small (but noticable to my obsessive eye) chip on the lower right hand side of my LCD screen. I certain it's a chip because you can see it when the PB is off. It's a shame because I have no dead pixels, and the machine truly is awesome.

Oh well. Live and learn.

ibulldog

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 08:54 PM

By a "chip", do you mean a small nick to the plastic surface, or a small crack in the glass layers beneath?

tooki

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 09:11 PM

id say he got a dent in it, small nick. that happened to me on my old ibook. it does suck. if you really want to try something, lay your LCD completely flat , and apply a very small amount of clear epoxy. make extra special care its clear. do a test coat on a piece of paper. let it drip into the hole, and let it dry. DO NOT touch it while its drying, or it not be clear. this is how i fixed my hole, someone else might give you a better solution.

legal: if you choose to do this, it is your choice, i may not be held financially responsible if my solution screws up your screen, or in rare cases your head explodes.

just a precaution.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

ibulldog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 11:48 PM

I meant a small nick in the plastic surface. Thanks for the advice on the epoxy, but I'm not sure I trust the steadiness of my hand ;-).

Forum Links
Forum Rules