Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sick iMac Flat Panel

Sick iMac Flat Panel
peppermg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 03:03 PM

I have a friend's Flat Panel iMac which is starting up to the "?" screen. Usually something I would be able to fix but this iMac will not boot into firewire target mode. I also can't get the CD drive to eject, and I have tried the mouse button and even open firmware. I have tried just about everything and I have come to the conclusion that something is broken other than the HD. Logic board maybe? Any ideas?
( Last edited by peppermg; Jul 1, 2004 at 03:14 PM. )

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by peppermg:
I have a friend's Flat Panel iMac which is starting up to the "?" screen. Usually something I would be able to fix but this iMac will not boot into firewire target mode. I also can't get the CD drive to eject, and I have tried the mouse button and even open firmware. I have tried just about everything and I have come to the conclusion that something is broken other than the HD. Logic board maybe? Any ideas?
Try restarting with the Option key held down and see if that does anything, or takes you to a point where you could eject the drive.

Do you have a FireWire HD to boot off of? If so, connect it, and it should show up, when pressing Option, as a bootable drive.

I find it odd that the drive wont eject, but I am not convinced that it's a motherboard problem.... yet.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

peppermg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 04:05 PM

Restarting with the option key down displays the boot disk select screen, but no drives show up. I used my Powerbook as a firewire target drive and it did not show up as well. Im stumped

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 04:22 PM

Restarting with the option key down displays the boot disk select screen, but no drives show up. I used my Powerbook as a firewire target drive and it did not show up as well. Im stumped
Can you use the eject button to open the drive at the boot disk select screen?

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

peppermg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 04:23 PM

No

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 04:27 PM

No
Hmmm....what to do what to do...

You could try manually opening the drive, if you feel up to it:

http://uk.geocities.com/mssres/superdrive.html

Let me think about it some more and see if I can come up with anything.

And, so you don't have access to a standard FireWire HD?

-Ryan

peppermg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 04:35 PM

I don't have a mac formated firewire drive lying around. Also this iMac doesn't have a superdrive so i don't think that manual eject guide will work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules