Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning my PBook

Cleaning my PBook
PConvert
Jul 3, 2004, 11:11 AM

What are the best methods to clean my LCD screen, keyboard, and aluminum casing?
-Philadelphia, PA-

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 05:09 PM

Use a soft cloth and a minimal amount of water. Make sure the water doesn't leave streaking, if it does you're using too much.

Alternatively I use iKlear, which is endorsed by Apple. It comes with the cloths and a bottle of non-alcohol bbased fluid. Use it very sparingly.

If you do decide to use some kind of cleaning product (and I'm not talking kitchen, bathroom or laundry ) ensure it is non-alcohol or non-acetone based.

JBgrim
Jul 3, 2004, 06:20 PM

For normal cleaning of the LCD I use a lens cloth and water. I stick my finger under the tap and then just spritz a small amount of water onto the cloth with a flick of the finger. Rub gently in a circular motion.

When something more stubborn gets on the screen I use ROR (residual oil remover), which is designed for camera lenses, and a lens cloth. You can get ROR at most camera stores.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 06:57 PM

i bought iklear but was kinda dissapointed - it left some spots on it and didnt really clean the screen. but its all good..

woudl windex work? i know some people that use it on their flat panels? (non acd's) ...

and how do you clean the casing? liek th eplam pads and stuff .. aside from like water .. anythign specia?

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 09:59 PM

NNOOOO!!! Don't use windex

If you don't like iKlear than the safest bet is use water like JBgrim described.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 05:00 PM

ok thanks. i didnt but i was jsut making sure.

but how do you clean like the palm pads and stuff ... anything BUT the moniter?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:48 AM

I'd like to rid my keyboard of germs and microbes (Yum)... I hope we can use something a little better than water...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
I'd like to rid my keyboard of germs and microbes (Yum)... I hope we can use something a little better than water...
I don't see why you couldn't use a little soap or non-abrasive or corrosive cleaner on the keys or case. They're only plastic and metal respectively. Just make sure to only use water on the LCD and gentle cleaning products in other locations.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by kafoochy:
I don't see why you couldn't use a little soap or non-abrasive or corrosive cleaner on the keys or case. They're only plastic and metal respectively. Just make sure to only use water on the LCD and gentle cleaning products in other locations.

remind them to power down the machines as well .. just in case =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules