Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Japanese in X11

Japanese in X11
VEGAN
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 05:13 AM

I have canna and kinput2 installed [via fink]. But I still don't quite understand how to make them work so I could use them in X11 [OpenOffice 1.1.2, etc].

Help!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 01:03 PM

That's a good question. I gave up on that long ago and switched to NeoOffice/J.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
That's a good question. I gave up on that long ago and switched to NeoOffice/J.
wataru, I assume you're Japanese is better than mine
I've seen some Japanese sites talking about this issue, but I couldn't understand it
Maybe you can help me out?

For example: http://www.sol.dti.ne.jp/~kikuyan/ma...11kotoeri.html

They talk about patching the kinput2 or something... I wonder if this might work...

OK, finally I've got as far as managing to get kinput2 start, but I can't see/use the Japanese fonts... ^^;; what am I suppused to do to get the Japanese fonts?
( Last edited by VEGAN; Jun 22, 2004 at 05:11 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 12:40 AM

I'm stumped too; I can get kinput2 to start along with X11, but it doesn't respond to the keys that the website says should work. I'll keep digging around.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 03:04 AM

I'm stumped too; I can get kinput2 to start along with X11, but it doesn't respond to the keys that the website says should work. I'll keep digging around.
I have the basic install of kinput2 and I can activate it with SHIFT-SPACE but that's it, the dialog window is question marks or something like that. I've tried to do the font substitution but nothing seems to work... i wonder what I've done wrong... It's a font issue I think... I tried to install something like kandara font but not even with that font... Osaka doesn't work... I don't know... anyone?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 10:22 PM

I don't see why it would be a font problem. None of the things I've read say anything about special fonts, and Terminal.app supports Japanese already without additional fonts.

My kinput2 doesn't respond to command+space or shift+space. Did you do anything special to get shift+space to work?

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 12:46 PM

I don't see why it would be a font problem. None of the things I've read say anything about special fonts, and Terminal.app supports Japanese already without additional fonts.

My kinput2 doesn't respond to command+space or shift+space. Did you do anything special to get shift+space to work?
No, I didn't do anything special, just the things most of the sites tell you to do.

The next thing is to make font substitution, and I can't get that working http://homepage.mac.com/oz_k/open_soft/Personal7.html

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2004, 03:57 PM

Well part of my problem was that I put some related data in my ~/.bashrc as instructed, but apparently ~/.profile overrides that. That still hasn't fixed the overall problem, though.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 02:19 AM

I never did get kinput2 to do anything in X11, but I did find a Japanese font. It's the "fs-fonts" package in fink, only in unstable.

VEGAN  (op)
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 02:30 AM

I never did get kinput2 to do anything in X11, but I did find a Japanese font. It's the "fs-fonts" package in fink, only in unstable.
I'll take a look and report if I get anything working...
kinput2 does start and does something... but it doesn't convert to right kana/kanji. I'm still working on it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 03:18 AM

Actually there are a number of Japanese font packages in fink. If you get FinkCommander you can search by package description; "Japanese" should find all of them for you.

I also just noticed a package in fink called "kinput2.macim." It appears to be the same as what you linked to earlier, but since it's automated maybe less could go wrong. I'll give it a try soon and report back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules