Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendations For a Bluetooth Mouse

Recommendations For a Bluetooth Mouse
jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 10:18 AM

Any?

Im looking for a multibutton BT mouse that will work with my D-Link BT adapter.

I checked out the logitech but i dont like how it has its own bluetooth reciever.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by jparisi:
Any?

Im looking for a multibutton BT mouse that will work with my D-Link BT adapter.

I checked out the logitech but i dont like how it has its own bluetooth reciever.
check out the bluetake bt500, thermaltake xwing, and radtech bt500. Its all the same mouse. Its a travel mouse so it probably isn't what you are looking for because its tiny.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

f1000
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 01:02 AM

Although I'm not sure about this, the Logitech MX900 should be able to use the D-Link.

coconut
May 30, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Although I'm not sure about this, the Logitech MX900 should be able to use the D-Link.
You could also use the Microsoft Wireless intelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth. It works right out of the box on Mac OS X (only the basic functions).
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 09:43 PM

I have a Belkin bluetooth mouse at work.
Works just fine in OS X; there's a 4th thumb button that requires something like USB Overdrive to program, but the usual two buttons + wheel/wheel button work just fine.
One note - if you have smallish hands, you might find the mouse a bit on the big side. I wear a (U.S.) men's size 7.5 glove, and the mouse is just a bit on the large side. Bigger hands and it'll be just fine. Its contoured, so its for right handers only.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
The MX900 doesn't necessarily need its own receiver. It'll work fine with the D-Link module or the internal Apple BT module.

To use the rechargable batteries that comes with it, you'll need the mouse's base, which happens to have the receiver in it anyway. You can use the charger without its built-in BT by simply not plugging in its USB cable (wall AC only).

If you want to use disposable batteries or your own rechargables/charger, you can toss the base in the trash.

Note that the MX900 doesn't have an ON/OFF switch for traveling. Neither does the Belkin I mentioned in my post above. The mini BT500 does have a switch, however. I have one in my bag for my 12" PowerBook, and the BT500 is a great travel mouse with excellent tracking and good battery life (two AAAs).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 09:57 PM

ooops. double post

jparisi  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
The MX900 doesn't necessarily need its own receiver. It'll work fine with the D-Link module or the internal Apple BT module.

To use the rechargable batteries that comes with it, you'll need the mouse's base, which happens to have the receiver in it anyway. You can use the charger without its built-in BT by simply not plugging in its USB cable (wall AC only).

If you want to use disposable batteries or your own rechargables/charger, you can toss the base in the trash.

Note that the MX900 doesn't have an ON/OFF switch for traveling. Neither does the Belkin I mentioned in my post above. The mini BT500 does have a switch, however. I have one in my bag for my 12" PowerBook, and the BT500 is a great travel mouse with excellent tracking and good battery life (two AAAs).
Great info. I currently use the MX700, and i love the form factor & battery capabilities. Would you happen rto know if all the buttons work? I am assuming they do...

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 02:31 AM

can somebody recommend a good small "travel" sized optical bluetooth mouse? all the one's i've seen ( a few) are huge logitech monstrosities or a macmice coorded that's rumored to have a bluetooth version in april 04, then june 04. no news of it yet ..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2004, 04:04 AM

Yes. the Bluetake BT 500.

recommendations are all over this forum, and there's at least two threads on it specifically.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by jparisi:
Great info. I currently use the MX700, and i love the form factor & battery capabilities. Would you happen rto know if all the buttons work? I am assuming they do...
All of the MX900 buttons don't work. You can use the extra buttons with Expos�, but USB Overdrive won't work and Logitech doesn't support the mouse for OS X. There is an app called GamePad Companion that let's you set the extra buttons, but apparently you need to restart this app every time you wake or restart your machine. Not an ideal solution.

The MX900 uses the HID standard for the extra buttons, so someone should be able to write a little app to allow programability of the extra buttons though. If you buy it now you will get right/left/scroll and you can assign the extra buttons to Expos�, but you can't use the forward/back buttons with OmniWeb or anything like that.

-matt

Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by ratlater:
All of the MX900 buttons don't work. You can use the extra buttons with Expos�, but USB Overdrive won't work and Logitech doesn't support the mouse for OS X. There is an app called GamePad Companion that let's you set the extra buttons, but apparently you need to restart this app every time you wake or restart your machine. Not an ideal solution.

The MX900 uses the HID standard for the extra buttons, so someone should be able to write a little app to allow programability of the extra buttons though. If you buy it now you will get right/left/scroll and you can assign the extra buttons to Expos�, but you can't use the forward/back buttons with OmniWeb or anything like that.

-matt
I dunno where you got that info from... I have an MX900 and have had it since nearly when it came out. I use USB Overdrive version 10.3 and it works like a charm. I have it set up so the bottom left arrow hides other apps when i click the desktop (option+click), the top left button hides the current app (command+h), the button above the scroll wheel goes forward a song in itunes (I use Synergy as well so I have hot keys), the button below the scroll wheel goes back a song, and the button below that pauses and starts iTunes. It works like a charm, you could have the buttons do whatever you want.
A word to the wise however. As you know the base station will not work for any other bluetooth peripherals in OS X besides the mouse because logitech does not support OS X. I recently got a D-Link DBT-120 USB bluetooth dongle for my phone, the mouse will work with that, sort of. The mouse is very jumpy if you just use the D-Link dongle. I found the best way to do it is just leave the base station for the mouse only and use the dongle for everything else. If you are okay with these cautions I would highly recommend the mouse. It has worked great for me and it does everythign I want it to.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 01:59 AM

I was considering buying an MX900 before hearing this. I personally already own a MX Duo for my PC. I was hoping the MX900 would work perfectly fine w/ all the buttons like the above poster described. However, I wan't to use the internal BT that comes with my PB and not have to use a seperate card/dongle. I just don't want the hastle of having to put the dongle somewhere every time I'm on the go with my PB. I even already have that Dlink dongle for my PC so I wouldn't have to buy it... just refuse to use it... lol Anyway, is there any way to get full functionality out of the MX900 with the internal apple BT?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 01:38 PM

the bluetake bt500 is a nice mouse, biggest problems is the 6 day bettery life...batteries get expensive, get some rechareable ones

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 01:47 PM

None. Seriously.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 01:17 AM

Just to clarify was that "None.Seriously" comment towards my question?

I'd like to get something that has more than 3 buttons, but my biggest factor is that it just works with the internal BT and has a wheel and right/left click.

It's going to be hard to leave behind my MX 700 on my PC and those lovely back/forward browsing buttons that I have become so accustomed to. They have changed the way I surf the web (in a great way).

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 09:51 AM

Yes, because a BT mouse isn't very practical. Sure, you get rid of the cable, but are you ready to replace batteries all the time? Lose connection with your mouse spontaneously? Pay extra? You'd be better off with a Logitech MX510.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 03:39 PM

uh, have you ever used BT? it's quite reliable. and batteries only has to be changed every few months. as for the MX900, it's no different from dropping your iPod in the dock. except instead of every night, now you drop it in the charger every few days - or every 2 weeks with the 2100mah NI-MH battery.
Ryan

nycgadgetgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

This BT mouse was announced on MacMinute. It won't be available until September, but seems promissing in terms of providing a good quality multi-button bluetooth mouse. Honestly, I don't understand why apple doesn't sell one as an aftermarket option.

http://www.macmice.com/themousebt.html

Thanks-
Rodney

MacLives
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by nycgadgetgeek:
This BT mouse was announced on MacMinute. It won't be available until September, but seems promissing in terms of providing a good quality multi-button bluetooth mouse. Honestly, I don't understand why apple doesn't sell one as an aftermarket option.

http://www.macmice.com/themousebt.html

Thanks-
Rodney
Yeah but MacMice is that Jack Campbell guy again.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Yes, because a BT mouse isn't very practical. Sure, you get rid of the cable, but are you ready to replace batteries all the time? Lose connection with your mouse spontaneously? Pay extra? You'd be better off with a Logitech MX510.

Mike
I've owned several Logitech wireless mice, and the MX900 is as good as any of them. Battery life is somewhat shorter, but I've finally trained myself to always store the mouse in its cradle.

Both RF and Bluetooth Logitech mice occasionally lose their connection with the receiver, but that's no biggie. It's about as annoying as having to clean off the roller ball in one of those primitive non-optical mice.

Having been spoiled by the exhilarating freedom of wireless mousing. I can't bear to use a corded mouse now. Using a corded mouse feels like sleeping with your sheets tucked under your bed. Not having to disconnect a mouse and keyboard also makes transporting my laptop a cinch.

I�m sure that in time Eckerd's drugstores will sell BT mice for under $25.

blacksheep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 02:16 AM

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 02:41 AM

Bluetooth mice are stupid, bad battery life and poor range.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

rotorwash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 03:04 AM

I own the BT500 (Bluetake). It is a great travel mouse and the batteries have lasted 2 weeks so far. It is available now from the Radtech site. The only annoyance is that the button clicks are rather loud. Other than that it is servicable and works fine.

md
Jump in or Sit down

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Bluetooth mice are stupid, bad battery life and poor range.
The MX900 has a 30 foot range. Its RF signal is strong enough to go through walls; so strong, in fact, that I occasionally use my mouse as a studfinder. There's software available that also allows the mouse to work as a Wi-Fi detector, but only if the ambient signal is strong (70% or more).

Forum Links
Forum Rules