Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV Monitor REALLY Screwed Up (dark and red)

iMac DV Monitor REALLY Screwed Up (dark and red)
Jansar
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 02:35 AM

Out of the blue, my old iMac DV monitor has turned a dark red, and on top of that the colors start smearing. Is there any way to fix this? My question is, is it a setting problem or is my monitor truly broken?
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

va3uxb
Jul 10, 2004, 09:26 AM

Are you running OS X? Did you update the Firmware before installing OS X?

I have an iMac DV 400MHz, and when I upgraded from OS 9 to 10.1.5, I would get the monitor flaking out on me frequently. It would go dark and red, or dark and blue, or dark and green. I'd have to power it all the way off, then turn it on again and hope for the best. When it did come on properly, I'd never turn it off again if I could at all help it.

I thought my monitor or video board had died, but it turned out it was actually just that the firmware was not up to the latest level.

-Stephanie

MacBHoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 09:12 PM

Believe it or not, I found an article in the Apple Archives about this. I had the same problems, so I gave the suggestion in the article a try. It turned out they made this one like some of the older towers. A new battery has made my monitor work like it's brand new. Go figure. They still have them at Radio Shack for about $13.

Forum Links
Forum Rules