Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Blueheart

Blueheart
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 01:23 PM

http://www.h0ax.org/axp.php?axp=themes

Having come from Linux, I miss this theme very much. Would it be at all possible with the current state of affairs to port this to OSX and get a similar look? Blueheart exists as a theme for numerous WMs on Linux (E, WMaker, IceWM, as well as GTK themes), and it'd be great to see it on Mac as well. Anyone interested?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2004, 01:47 PM

wow, thats probably one of the better linux themes i've seen besides bluecurve... except for the border, it looks like this theme can be done...
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

I dont dislike many themes, but this seems so "1997 BeOS meets *nix meets hacked theme." Not very modern.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 02:56 PM

I don't see very many elements from this theme being able to be ported. The buttons might work, but would look terrible at long sizes, and the titlebars aren't going to happen, either.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2004, 02:57 PM

BUTT UGLY!!!
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 03:02 PM

AHHH! MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Seriously, that's a pretty horrible theme. Honestly I've never seen a Linux theme that was worth porting.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2004, 03:07 PM

Looks like Linux had sex with a Aqua wanna be and they had a son.

Horrible IMHO.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
AHHH! MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Reeaal Pixels!? lol.

I agree, I think every linux theme I've seen looks crappy and dated - but then, some people do seem to want themes resembling Mac "Classic" OSs, as well as NEXT and stuff. Nostalgia I guess. Certainly not my taste. I yearn for modern, glossy, flashy themes like Omega and all that.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 05:39 PM

Ok this once again proves to me that Mac users are in general a bunch of artsie snobs ... no wonder so many Linux users look down upon us ... very sad ... I'll let all you great graphic designers be and will not bother you again with something as lowly as a Linux theme
come at you rapidly

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Ok this once again proves to me that Mac users are in general a bunch of artsie snobs ... no wonder so many Linux users look down upon us ... very sad ... I'll let all you great graphic designers be and will not bother you again with something as lowly as a Linux theme
artsie snobs?... Good GUI design is good GUI design wether it's on Mac, Win, or Linux. The theme this thread links to, while not totally ugly, can't compare to some of the better OS X themes. Blueheart even has some obviously Aqua inspired elements (and don't we have enough Aqua variation themes allready?). I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a Linux theme that was good enough to port. On the other hand, there are countless Windowblinds themes that I think would work great if they were ported to Mac (such as Avenger, which is currently in the works.)

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 07:03 PM

I find it rather humorous that you'll sling a term like "artsie snob" around as you're requesting that people use their artistic talents to port something they find ugly.

It's kid of like asking a metal band to play a rap song and then insulting them when they refuse because they can't stand the song.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 07:16 PM

Yeah, just because a few of us said we don't like it doesn't mean you have to come over all "fireside" on us. (Sorry, I'm only joking fireside!).

It's just that most Mac themers prefer the sleek, shiny, modern look of OSX. If I have anything bad to say about OSX themes in general, it's that they're, with a few exceptions, not very colourful. The thing I don't like about Linux themes is that they tend to look old fashioned, like 1997-98 sort of period. I'm sure there are people out there that like this sort of thing. Ashen has a similar feel for example, and is very popular. I'm sure there will be someone interested in porting this theme, but I think it will only suit the taste of a minority of OSX users.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I find it rather humorous that you'll sling a term like "artsie snob" around as you're requesting that people use their artistic talents to port something they find ugly.

It's kid of like asking a metal band to play a rap song and then insulting them when they refuse because they can't stand the song.
I wasn't asking, let alone requesting, anyone to do anything. I just suggested this as a possibility. Don't want to make it? Fine, don't. Insulting or not, these people are a bunch of snobs, and that's a fact. When a lot of time and effort goes into something, and when many people find the end result worthy of use and even worthy of porting, I think that something deserves some respect. People who show no such respect are, as far as I'm concerned, a bunch of snobs. Plain and simple. Sorry - I don't come from an arts and crafts background. Maybe I think different ...
come at you rapidly

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
It's just that most Mac themers prefer the sleek, shiny, modern look of OSX.
If you think blueheart is not "shiny", there's something wrong with your eyes ...

Whatever, I give up on you guys ...
come at you rapidly

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 09:35 PM

well, I can't say I like it either (just not my style), but actually I think a fair amount of it is possible just with some tweaking. The window titlebars, for example - in OSX you won't be able to have that continuous fade from one side to the other, but if you use some largeish caps that have the fade effect and then have the middle stretched/tiled it would work. Wouldn't be quite the same, but what's the fun of everything looking the same anyway .

The main problem is that there are all kinds of little tiny effects that can't really be ported very well, and attempts at hacking them in or skirting around them might result in a pretty bastardized version of this theme.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Huh? I've seen some NICE linux themes before. This isn't one of them.

It's a bit rough around the edges.

Literally.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 01:04 AM

Ahhhh, now isn't this better than that blue colored Mac OS8 theme? Or is it a squared off Aqua mod???

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Yeah, just because a few of us said we don't like it doesn't mean you have to come over all "fireside" on us. (Sorry, I'm only joking fireside!).

lenox
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 12:11 PM

BlueHeart's actually pretty old, and if I recall correctly, it was out before aqua was invented/visible/available to anyone. I remember wanting to use it in gnome 1.0 in linux, back in '98 or '99. However, it was utter overkill. Every little thing had a glaring mouseover, not to mention it was just a bunch of very visible, poorly-scaled pixmaps. This was more a limitation of gtk+ than anything else, but still.

I don't think it's the kind of theme you'll ever see on OS X.

olorin15  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
BlueHeart's actually pretty old, and if I recall correctly, it was out before aqua was invented/visible/available to anyone. I remember wanting to use it in gnome 1.0 in linux, back in '98 or '99. However, it was utter overkill. Every little thing had a glaring mouseover, not to mention it was just a bunch of very visible, poorly-scaled pixmaps. This was more a limitation of gtk+ than anything else, but still.

I don't think it's the kind of theme you'll ever see on OS X.
Blueheart was originally an Enlightenment theme, way before Aqua became available. I agree that in some instances it's overkill, such as the GTK theme. But the WindowMaker port, for one, was very nice and clean. And that would be the closest to OSX anyway.

http://themes.freshmeat.net/screenshots/26058/
come at you rapidly

Forum Links
Forum Rules