Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 3G iPod fell in pool; opened & dried out - still works!

3G iPod fell in pool; opened & dried out - still works!
vdrummer
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 01:40 PM

It's been a down & up last 12 hours - my 30 Gb iPod, within it's Timbuk2 iPod case, fell into a pool (while it was playing) last night and was entirely submerged for about a minute. When I pulled it out, the display was lighted but blank, the orange backlight was on behind the buttons, and the hard drive sounded like it was cycling. Thought for sure it was shorted out and dead. I took it all apart and found water throughout the inside; I left the parts under a warm halogen light overnight. Much to my amazement, it worked fine when I got it back together this morning!

DoGoodDrugs
Jul 22, 2004, 02:14 PM

F***ING AMAZING

no for real

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 02:34 PM

that is so cool... well not the water part... but the part that you are not ipodless

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 03:13 PM

can you tell the story of how it fell in and why it was under for a minute. I also think its funny that some people have ipods die on them right out of the box , while others can use theirs as a submarine and still have it work

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 03:14 PM

yea, I thought for sure I'd be picking up a 4G at the local Apple Store. Only problems/differences I've encountered so far is that it's a bit slower to start playing a selected song, and I've found a few songs that won't play - will probably try reloading them.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 03:15 PM

That's pretty amazing. You are definitely lucky.

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by thetman:
can you tell the story of how it fell in and why it was under for a minute. I also think its funny that some people have ipods die on them right out of the box , while others can use theirs as a submarine and still have it work
As I have many, many times, I was sitting in our jacuzzi listening to tunes. Prior to getting out, I carefully placed the Pod & earbuds on the edge. I stepped out and dried off, then closed the cover of the jacuzzi, forgetting to remove the iPod first. I remembered right away about the iPod, opened the cover, and found the case (with iPod inside) underwater. Not sure if it was the opening or closing of the cover that knocked it in.

vdrummer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
That's pretty amazing. You are definitely lucky.
I'm feeling awfully lucky; maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket or something.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 05:45 PM

lucky you...good to know too.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 07:41 PM

My brother dropped his into a bucket of water, and it worked fine after it dried as well.

His old iMac survived when his place burned down. The case melted somewhat, and it sat in a puddle of water for two days, but all it took was a new case, and it worked fine!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
My brother dropped his into a bucket of water, and it worked fine after it dried as well.

His old iMac survived when his place burned down. The case melted somewhat, and it sat in a puddle of water for two days, but all it took was a new case, and it worked fine!
bummer about the house, hope all the loose ends got taken care of, and that he's doing ok

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jaxxe
Jul 23, 2004, 10:39 AM

Now das just too cool! Definitely justifies the costs of investing in such fine crafted and tuned hardware.

My 1G iPod has had it's fair share of bumps and what have you. Just received my 4G iPod a few hours ago, but this time around I'm seriously considering a case - perhaps iSkin when they come out with the line for 4G iPods.
24" iMac (Intel) / G4 15" PB; 1.5Ghz / G4 12" PB; 867Mhz
AGP Graphics G4 Desktop; 350Mhz
5G - 30 Gigabyte iPod / 4G - 40 Gigabyte iPod / 1G - 5 Gigabyte iPod
Airport Extreme / Airport Express /
iSight

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by vdrummer:
It's been a down & up last 12 hours - my 30 Gb iPod, within it's Timbuk2 iPod case, fell into a pool (while it was playing) last night and was entirely submerged for about a minute. When I pulled it out, the display was lighted but blank, the orange backlight was on behind the buttons, and the hard drive sounded like it was cycling. Thought for sure it was shorted out and dead. I took it all apart and found water throughout the inside; I left the parts under a warm halogen light overnight. Much to my amazement, it worked fine when I got it back together this morning!
Awesome, but don't press your luck:
www.lilipods.com <--- Sounds perfect for your 'jacuzzi' situations.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules