Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Mac vs. PC post to end all Mac vs. PC posts

The Mac vs. PC post to end all Mac vs. PC posts
EMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 12:05 AM

Mac users are die hard fans who hate everything Microsoft. The rest of the world just looks at the Mac fans like they're a bunch of nutjobs. And then Mac fans get so defensive...

You can view the problem in any way you want, but you have to realize that this stupid battle is finally nearing an end. Everything must be viewed in a somewhat larger time frame. 50 years ago, MacDonald's was a single burger joint in southern california serving great quality burgers at a reasonable price. Now they're a huge global presence selling burgers even cheaper that are full of low quality beef, soy beans, and artificial flavoring. In another 50 years they'll probably have filed chapter 11 all the time wondering what went wrong. Basically, if you lower quality you will be replaced by smarter competitors.

What does microsoft actually have? They sell an operating system. It's not particularly special. Apple sells one. Linux is a free one. They all work. Only linux is free, OS X is $99, and Windows $300. 10 years from now no one will pay for an operating system anymore than they pay for a web browser now. Free software is becoming as good as commercial grade stuff. At best I predict people might get away with selling a GUI which runs on top of the operating system. At anyrate binary distributions will be a thing of the past.

Next Microsoft has Office! ooohhhh ahhhh. Word is a damn text editor. OpenOffice is almost equally as good but it's not $300. How will microsoft make a better word to keep competitive? Add more stupid animations in the corner?

Even today many corporations are making the switch to linux. You just can't beat free, (or at least real cheap. ie. Red Hat Enterprise) Even apple will have to eventually bite the bullet and sent it's operating system the way of quicktime and iTunes. All-platform free software thats sets people up to buy their hardware(iPods) and download their msuic at cost.

Microsoft is not a sustainable business. They will have to continually lower prices to fend off free software which will inevitably lead to layoffs and scandals.

Apple sells some great hardware. They even have a top-rate operating system. Mark my words though. by 2014, apple's operating system will be free and cross platform, and they will still be a force in computing hardware. Microsoft will be in dire straits, and most software will be released as encrypted source code to be build during installation rather than have these inane binary distributions.

So stop your yacking and watch the show.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 25, 2004, 12:18 AM

Mac users are die hard fans who hate everything Microsoft.
No they aren't.

The rest of the world just looks at the Mac fans like they're a bunch of nutjobs.
No they don't.

Word is a damn text editor. OpenOffice is almost equally as good but it's not $300.
No it isn't.

+1

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by EMC:
10 years from now no one will pay for an operating system anymore than they pay for a web browser now.
I disagree

Microsoft is not a sustainable business. They will have to continually lower prices to fend off free software which will inevitably lead to layoffs and scandals.
Honestly, do you really see Microsoft failing anytime soon? They have so much capital, and their hands in many different markets. They arn't going anywhere...

Apple sells some great hardware. They even have a top-rate operating system. Mark my words though. by 2014, apple's operating system will be free and cross platform, and they will still be a force in computing hardware. Microsoft will be in dire straits, and most software will be released as encrypted source code to be build during installation rather than have these inane binary distributions.
you're dreaming man

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:21 AM

Mac users are die hard fans who hate everything Microsoft. The rest of the world just looks at the Mac fans like they're a bunch of nutjobs. And then Mac fans get so defensive...

You can view the problem in any way you want, but you have to realize that this stupid battle is finally nearing an end. Everything must be viewed in a somewhat larger time frame. 50 years ago, MacDonald's was a single burger joint in southern california serving great quality burgers at a reasonable price. Now they're a huge global presence selling burgers even cheaper that are full of low quality beef, soy beans, and artificial flavoring. In another 50 years they'll probably have filed chapter 11 all the time wondering what went wrong. Basically, if you lower quality you will be replaced by smarter competitors.

What does microsoft actually have? They sell an operating system. It's not particularly special. Apple sells one. Linux is a free one. They all work. Only linux is free, OS X is $99, and Windows $300. 10 years from now no one will pay for an operating system anymore than they pay for a web browser now. Free software is becoming as good as commercial grade stuff. At best I predict people might get away with selling a GUI which runs on top of the operating system. At anyrate binary distributions will be a thing of the past.

Next Microsoft has Office! ooohhhh ahhhh. Word is a damn text editor. OpenOffice is almost equally as good but it's not $300. How will microsoft make a better word to keep competitive? Add more stupid animations in the corner?

Even today many corporations are making the switch to linux. You just can't beat free, (or at least real cheap. ie. Red Hat Enterprise) Even apple will have to eventually bite the bullet and sent it's operating system the way of quicktime and iTunes. All-platform free software thats sets people up to buy their hardware(iPods) and download their msuic at cost.

Free software is not as good as commercial software. It doesn't even come close. Linux can't even lay a finger on Mac OS X. Web browsers are different, as they are not that complex. The GIMP, however, cannot touch Photoshop. OpenOffice cannot touch Office. Audacity cannot touch SoundForge. Bluefish isn't even comparable to Dreamweaver. Linux is just a shadow behind Mac OS X.

When you get paid, you make a better product. Open source software is great, but large open source products will never be up to par.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 25, 2004, 12:23 AM

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Web browsers are different, as they are not that complex.
Really? They look damn complex!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:27 AM

You're mixing (and I'm responding to tavilach) two different ideas - free and open source software. When you say free, do you mean free as in beer or free as in freedom? Open source generally means the later. In fact, darwin, the unix underpinnings of OS X, is open source. Yet OS X is commercial. Go figure.

Commercial software doesn't automatically make it better. Look at windows - a lot more open source review and they might have a better product.

Open source and commercial are not mutually exclusive. Otherwise, you wouldn't see companies like IBM supporting it so much.

So much more to say, but I'll let the discussion develop a little more first.
( Last edited by Ghoser777; Jul 25, 2004 at 12:32 AM. )

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Really? They look damn complex!
Not in comparison to operating systems, Photoshop, etc.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
You're mixing (and I'm responding to tavilach) to different ideas - free and open source software. When you say free, do you mean free as in beer or free as in freedom? Open source generally means the later. In fact, darwin, the unix underpinnings of OS X, is open source. Yet OS X is commercial. Go figure.

Commercial software doesn't automatically make it better. Look at windows - a lot more open source review and they might have a better product.

Open source and commercial are not mutually exclusive. Otherwise, you wouldn't see companies like IBM supporting it so much.

So much more to say, but I'll let the discussion develop a little more first.
I was only talking about open source software. Freeware just sucks . Open source is far better than your typical free software, but it's still not up to par.

Windows doesn't count as commercial software. It's just a BSOD in disguise.

Edit: Oops...double post...

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 12:32 AM

Visions of the future never pan out. Remember all those people in the 40s and 50s who said that we would be driving flying cars, eating dehydrated food, living on the moon, etc? Guess what? We aren't.

For the most part, open source software if more trouble than it is worth. You have hundreds or thousands of programmers, who all have different experience and different ways of doing things, working on a single code base. This results in a muddy, confusing source. Also, we (many of us) live in a capitalist society. Money is a driving force behind almost everything. If someone is getting paid to program, they are much more likely to take the initiative to make the product better.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:35 AM

Web browsers are different, as they are not that complex.
You don't have a clue about what you're talking about.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
You don't have a clue about what you're talking about.
You are misunderstanding me. I know how complex the source for say, Mozilla is. It still is not the same as a program like Photoshop, or an operating system. Furthermore, the competition is free...so it's not that hard to make something that rivals the competition (Mozilla vs. IE). If IE were to cost money, I'm sure that it might be a hell of a lot better than Mozilla (if Microsoft actually did something with it). If Safari were to cost money, it too would be far better than Mozilla. At its current state, they're pretty close...

I guess I didn't state what I meant. It's not that web browsers aren't complex. It's just different.

...don't take me for an idiot who just looks at the screen, sees that a web browser is just a little window, and assumes that the code is simple. That has nothing to do with it.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:46 AM

Then why aren't Opera, OmniWeb, etc vastly superior browsers?

Because you're talking out of the wrong end of your body. It's not the money that makes great programs. It's a smart development process with good developers. They can either be paid for their work or simply believe in it. Money is a great motivator, but it was be short sighted to think it is the best/only sucessful one.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Then why aren't Opera, OmniWeb, etc vastly superior browsers?

Because you're talking out of the wrong end of your body. It's not the money that makes great programs. It's a smart development process with good developers. They can either be paid for their work or simply believe in it. Money is a great motivator, but it was be short sighted to think it is the best/only sucessful one.
You got me .

I do believe, though, that commercial products are more likely to be successful. Does that make more sense?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:52 AM

....so much for it ending all mac vs pc posts...
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:55 AM

It's easy to sit here today and guess what the world will be like in 10 years. Which by the way isn't long from now. It's hard to say exactly what it will be like. I doubt it will be as you describe it.

One thing is for sure, EVERYTHING CHANGES.

If you want to have some fun, try to guess what the computing world will be like in 100 years. Now that would be interesting. I wonder. What will the computing world be like then.

Who would have guessed back in 1976 that so many people in 2004 would have a Supercomputer on their desktop.

Heck, look at the Palm Pilots of today. One in paticular, the Sony TH55 is a great pda (computer). How does it's power compare with the first Macintosh?

In a hundred years, I suspect that we will have minature computers that we can jack into our brains. We will all be jacked in and networked. Hmmmm, that could be scary. Kindof Borg like. Hmmm, no wonder Gates wants to control the world. He has plans.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 01:17 AM

Wow! I was just writing a Mac vs. PC post, when all of a sudden it ended. Poof. Gone. I wasn't sure what was going on until I saw this thread, this beacon of insight and wisdom in the middle of a dark, troll-filled haze. Thank you, great Original Poster! Thank you for showing us the light!

+1

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2004, 01:20 AM

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

<running in circle>

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

I honestly don't care for Microsoft, but they aren't going anywhere with IT clowns tossing money at them hand over fist.

Also, word sucks, but it sucks so much less then ANY version of OpenOffice... Also, you can hate it all you want, but once you join the real world, YOU GET OFFICE DOCUMENTS. It may not be right or cool or even fair, but it just is.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Also, word sucks, but it sucks so much less than ANY version of OpenOffice...
You've been Than'd�.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:20 AM

Only linux is free, OS X is $99, and Windows $300.
since when is OS X 99 bucks?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You really need to add clueless guys wearing penguin and demon shirts.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
It's easy to sit here today and guess what the world will be like in 10 years. Which by the way isn't long from now. It's hard to say exactly what it will be like. I doubt it will be as you describe it.

One thing is for sure, EVERYTHING CHANGES.

If you want to have some fun, try to guess what the computing world will be like in 100 years. Now that would be interesting. I wonder. What will the computing world be like then.

Who would have guessed back in 1976 that so many people in 2004 would have a Supercomputer on their desktop.

Heck, look at the Palm Pilots of today. One in paticular, the Sony TH55 is a great pda (computer). How does it's power compare with the first Macintosh?

In a hundred years, I suspect that we will have minature computers that we can jack into our brains. We will all be jacked in and networked. Hmmmm, that could be scary. Kindof Borg like. Hmmm, no wonder Gates wants to control the world. He has plans.
Hmm...I don't know if I agree with that. 100 years ago, in 1904, anything relating to computing was unheard of. In 100 years, 2104, there will probably be something else, unheard of in this day and age. I doubt that we'd have computers jacked into our heads...it's too "Matrix," and we can already imagine it. There will be things that we can't even imagine, you know? Of course, I could be wrong. Computing might be the final innovation to really alter people's lives. It's possible that computing encompasses all further changes that our society could ever undergo, and they'd simply change drastically (inserted into our brains, etc.). Perhaps this past 100 years has been full of innovation, and this pattern won't continue to the point that something revolutionizes society in the same way that computers have done with the present. I mean, nothing that great happened between 1300 and 1400...or 1500 and 1600. Well, we had plenty of Renaissances, but nothing changed society like computing. Anyway, I doubt that the next 100 years will be so sluggish. Quite frankly, until 2104, we'll never know.

Originally posted by fireside:
since when is OS X 99 bucks?
Well, academic pricing is $69, and standard pricing is $129. The average: $99. There you go, Mr. Stolemyfaceasyoursig.

( Last edited by tavilach; Jul 25, 2004 at 03:04 AM. )

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 03:04 AM

Not counting tax, right?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Not counting tax, right?

You ruined my calculations!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 05:45 AM

Hmm...I don't know if I agree with that. 100 years ago, in 1904, anything relating to computing was unheard of. In 100 years, 2104, there will probably be something else, unheard of in this day and age. I doubt that we'd have computers jacked into our heads...it's too "Matrix," and we can already imagine it. There will be things that we can't even imagine, you know? Of course, I could be wrong. Computing might be the final innovation to really alter people's lives. It's possible that computing encompasses all further changes that our society could ever undergo, and they'd simply change drastically (inserted into our brains, etc.). Perhaps this past 100 years has been full of innovation, and this pattern won't continue to the point that something revolutionizes society in the same way that computers have done with the present. I mean, nothing that great happened between 1300 and 1400...or 1500 and 1600. Well, we had plenty of Renaissances, but nothing changed society like computing. Anyway, I doubt that the next 100 years will be so sluggish. Quite frankly, until 2104, we'll never know.
To be petty, 100 years ago they did talk about things relating to computing - just not in the sense we do today. The act of computation was there, but it was just done by people, named 'computers'.
The thing that could be said to start to resemble modern computing would be Babbages 'Difference Engine' - which, if I remember correctly was around the mid 1880's. I suppose tools like abbacus' etc don't really count - but they are an aid to computation, which is kinda all a computer really is.

As for the 'nothing great happened btween...' part: I'd say the birth of ocean travel, gun powder, the new world, and loads of other things I can't be bothered to write about were all pretty great, and not worthy of being merely brushed off in one sweeping statement.

Heh, I'm hungover - humour me
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by Black Book:
To be petty, 100 years ago they did talk about things relating to computing - just not in the sense we do today. The act of computation was there, but it was just done by people, named 'computers'.
The thing that could be said to start to resemble modern computing would be Babbages 'Difference Engine' - which, if I remember correctly was around the mid 1880's. I suppose tools like abbacus' etc don't really count - but they are an aid to computation, which is kinda all a computer really is.

As for the 'nothing great happened btween...' part: I'd say the birth of ocean travel, gun powder, the new world, and loads of other things I can't be bothered to write about were all pretty great, and not worthy of being merely brushed off in one sweeping statement.

Heh, I'm hungover - humour me
In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue . That's not between 1300 and 1400, or 1500 and 1600 . As for gun powder, it was discovered in China in the 9th century. Ocean travel was invented thousands of years ago...

Oh, I see what you mean. Things that were invented between one century and another (i.e. everything...). Eh, you're right. There are probably a lot of very important things that were also invented between 1300 and 1400, and 1500 and 1600.

Still, note how there are so many important things, constantly invented. In 100 years, there will be something else...and it could easily have nothing to do with computing.

As for the mathematical stuff...well, when I say computing, I'm basically talking about the modern applications of computing. In other words...the internet, word processing...you know?

Hehe, I'm kind of tired, and have been tired for hours. Stuff is coming out of my behind, at a great speed than normal.

Tralala...

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 06:18 AM

Mac users are die hard fans who hate everything Microsoft. The rest of the world just looks at the Mac fans like they're a bunch of nutjobs.
They're just a loud minority, who no one gives a fyck about. There are Windows zealots who despise everything Apple, no one gives a fyck about them either.

It's irrelevant. You're dull. I think I can hear your Mum calling you.
tin pot, garden shed

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 06:32 AM

Computing is great and all, but let's also remember that many works of art - such as huge cathedrals, etc. - still stand solidly today, while some buildings conceived in a more computer-like way have collapsed: analogical intuition is just as important as digital reason! Especially for the future (r)evolutions of humanity...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 07:59 AM

i just got my boss's dual g4 1 ghz and a lcd as part of the new tech upgrade atmy job

oh what was this thread about again?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:02 PM

Perhaps this past 100 years has been full of innovation, and this pattern won't continue to the point that something revolutionizes society in the same way that computers have done with the present. I mean, nothing that great happened between 1300 and 1400...or 1500 and 1600. Well, we had plenty of Renaissances, but nothing changed society like computing. Anyway, I doubt that the next 100 years will be so sluggish. Quite frankly, until 2104, we'll never know.
tavilach - you are in ignorant fool. Hate to break it to you, but there is one invention that has changed society even more than computers. It is called THE PRINTING PRESS and was invented by Johann Gutenberg in 1450.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

<snip>
Thank you for quoting the entire first post just in case i wanted to read it again without scrolling up.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
tavilach - you are in ignorant fool. Hate to break it to you, but there is one invention that has changed society even more than computers. It is called THE PRINTING PRESS and was invented by Johann Gutenberg in 1450.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:24 PM

Oh God. What is it with Mac users and MS? The mere mention of MS brings out the paranoid mac kid, whose sole purpose in life seems to be threatened if MS so much as blinks.

Have a trawl through about 6 of the threads here in the lounge about MS, and you'll see what I mean.

Mac users hate MS? Hardly. A number of MacNN readers hate MS? Sounds like it.

Fact is, for me and millions others, Apple makes a nice OS, some nice hardware but that's the extent of it. Does it do everything I need? God no.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

OH-N'omac
Jul 25, 2004, 12:38 PM

I know of a big company that is testing a plan to move away from Windows computers for certain employees. The thought is that a Linux PC would be cheaper than a Windows PC and provide the same functionality for employees who use their box for reference and simple form-based interaction. If you don't need much, open-source is enough. These people are doing 90% of their work in a browser anyway....and the other 10% can be moved to something browser-based or *nix based at a reasonable development cost compared to licensing savings.

Their motivation is cost. I know apple makes great hardware. I think their OS is top-notch....but comparing the cost of a low-end OSX setup to that of a low-end Linux setup leaves Apple in the dust. If these were power users who would be doing a lot with their boxes then maybe it would be more complicated, but the vast majority of people who work with computers aren't using their boxes that way. If Microsoft has anything to worry about, it is that many large companies will start moving to Open Source or Thin Clients for employees with jobs that have simple IT requirements.

I don't see Apple moving in on the potential market that Linux is moving in on unless they make their OS free and platform-independant (Read: NEVER). Doing so woulf be suicide for the company since their hardware, while top-notch, is often overpriced compared to more generic equipment that businesses tend to go for. Consider supply problems in addition to cost concerns, and Apple really starts to look unattractive to large institutional buyers.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 01:18 PM

Not all Mac users hate Microsoft; I, for one, will use the best tool for the job, no matter who makes it. I like MS Word a lot and I use it regularly.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 01:45 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 02:17 PM

Only linux is free, OS X is $99, and Windows $300. 10 years from now no one will pay for an operating system anymore than they pay for a web browser now.
I pay for my web browser now.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:48 PM

Stupidest troll ever.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
I was going to search for things that were invented in that time period, but I decided that it would be useless to try to back up my senseless comment. That's why I corrected myself:

In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue . That's not between 1300 and 1400, or 1500 and 1600 . As for gun powder, it was discovered in China in the 9th century. Ocean travel was invented thousands of years ago...

Oh, I see what you mean. Things that were invented between one century and another (i.e. everything...). Eh, you're right. There are probably a lot of very important things that were also invented between 1300 and 1400, and 1500 and 1600.

Still, note how there are so many important things, constantly invented. In 100 years, there will be something else...and it could easily have nothing to do with computing.

As for the mathematical stuff...well, when I say computing, I'm basically talking about the modern applications of computing. In other words...the internet, word processing...you know?

Hehe, I'm kind of tired, and have been tired for hours. Stuff is coming out of my behind, at a great speed than normal.

Tralala...
I said something stupid, and I realized that it was retarded (I was very tired). Thus, I corrected myself. How does that make me an ignorant fool?

I certainly agree that Gutenberg's printing press was far more revolutionary than computing. He transformed society from a large, ignorant mass to an educated group of people. Essentially, he invented the spread of knowledge. I'm no fool...I know about Gutenberg's printing press. It simply didn't occur to me. In other words, I made a stupid mistake, because I was tired. That does not make me an ignorant fool, and I resent being called that.
( Last edited by tavilach; Jul 25, 2004 at 04:01 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2004, 03:55 PM

historylme
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Who cares what one person calls you... or your ideas... it's the internet. "T" your being pulled around in a leash, pulled by your own insecurities.

And for the record, Mac's rock. (period)... but they stand to use some more innovations.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 06:22 PM

*pokes thread* I'm too lazy to go find my password for link.. so I post here, admittedly I have the time to waste right now

I use what works best for me. Since I'm cheap, and like to save as much money as I can for hardware upgrades or really good programs, I use as much freeware as I possibly can.

Stuff like camino, xchat aqua, itunes, adium, pretty much any unix app, openoffice, textedit, stuff like that.. even down to emulation. There's two reasons for this.. first off the people who program free apps typically put work into them for the pleasure of being known for their efforts or just for the sake of making the program good, whereas shareware/commercialware developers work for money and nothing else much of the time.

Sometimes there's an exception, stuff like transmit and postfix enabler, that really just get the job done and done well.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

hayesk
Jul 26, 2004, 09:45 AM

Better yet, the Norse beat Columbus by about 500 years.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 10:18 AM

But no one believed them, so it doesn't count.

Course, Chris thought he was in India and it wasn't until years later that other people realized that it wasn't India (and even then Columbus continued to insist that he found a new way to get to China and India), so he doesn't count either.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2004, 12:45 PM

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules