Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > �101 for an iPhoto book?!

�101 for an iPhoto book?!
willed
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 06:06 PM

For 49 pages, �101 - that's about $180 isn't it? Is it that much in the States? (Something tells me it's much more in the UK... call it intuition, based on the fact that Apple UK's track record is beyond sh!t). I didn't think it would be this much - can they really cost that much to make? Because that's a ridiculous price.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by willed:
For 49 pages, �101 - that's about $180 isn't it? Is it that much in the States? (Something tells me it's much more in the UK... call it intuition, based on the fact that Apple UK's track record is beyond sh!t). I didn't think it would be this much - can they really cost that much to make? Because that's a ridiculous price.
49 pages, how many pics?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 06:13 PM

WHAT?! I never checked the price but I always thought it was like $25 or something.. $180?! DAMN!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:10 AM

How many photos are you trying to upload?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by wolfen:
49 pages, how many pics?
116 pics. Just been to Israel for a fortnight. I took about 150 pics, then a friend sent me 600 of his on CD, so levelling it down to 116 was quite an effort! Then I found it's �101. I'll get then made into prints instead for about �30 and stick them in a book myself!

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 08:40 AM

Yeah, the books are hugely expensive here in the States too.

$180 is about right, its about $30 for every ten pages. So that would be $150, and figure in the "we hate Europe" mentality at Apple and $180 seems about right.

IMHO, they're worth every penny, though. They look absolutely beautiful. The binding is very professional and the quality is outstanding.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Yeah, the books are hugely expensive here in the States too.

$180 is about right, its about $30 for every ten pages. So that would be $150, and figure in the "we hate Europe" mentality at Apple and $180 seems about right..
I'd put down a couple of bucks more and get an iPod instead.
$ 180 for a book is crazy...

-t

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 11:22 AM

IMHO, they're worth every penny, though. They look absolutely beautiful. The binding is very professional and the quality is outstanding.
Agreed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Agreed.
So gorickey did buy iPhoto albums for $180, or will for sure in the future ?

They might look nice and stuff, but unless you have coin to waste, it's just too much money. Gosh, $180 !

-t

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
So gorickey did buy iPhoto albums for $180, or will for sure in the future ?
I would in a heartbeat if I had pictures that were worthy of a book no doubt about it...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2004, 01:29 PM

Well, it doesn't have to be that much. 49 pages with each page averaging a little more than 2 photos is pretty expansive. Alter the layouts some, use 3 and 4 photos on some pages. Edit some photos out and the cost will drop.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 01:42 PM

and figure in the "we hate Europe" mentality at Apple
Do you mean exclusive of taxes, or the fact that everything there costs more in general anyway? Cost of living, wages, and whatnot.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 27, 2004, 02:08 PM

After my winter vacation, I made an Apple photo book with about 35 pages in it. It is approximately 3 bucks a page, regardless of how many photos total are in it.

It was worth every penny. The thing I learned for the next time I make one, is to brighten a few of my pictures up a little bit, because they looked fine on my monitor, but perhaps slightly dark in the finished book.

It really looks damn professional, and everybody I showed it too was damn impressed, and in my humble opinion, my pics look like they were taken by a professional photograper.

I spent some time in formatting the book in the correct way, and choosing which pics went where, and how many pics to use on each page, and choosing the right design-layout to use for the book.

I reccomend it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules