Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What the crap is going on down in South Africa?

What the crap is going on down in South Africa? (Page 2)
Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 12:19 PM

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...s&section=news

Sorcerers Nabbed with 50 Bodies, 20 Skulls

LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigerian police have arrested 30 witch-doctors in a raid on fetish shrines in southeast Anambra state where over 50 decomposing bodies and 20 human skulls were discovered, a police spokesman said Thursday.

The heads, genitals and other vital parts of some of the bodies, found in a teak forest in Okija village, had been severed, a sign they may have been killed for ritual.

"We saw more than 50 bodies in various coffins. There were several skulls, some of them really fresh," Anambra police spokesman Kolapo Shofoluwe told Reuters by telephone.

Ritual killing is common in some parts of Nigeria where many people believe they can become instant millionaires by using human organs to make potent charms. Many Nigerians mix traditional religions with Christianity or Islam.

Police said preliminary investigations showed that the people died after the sorcerers engaged them in an animist ritual.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
In Sudan it's Muslims against Muslims(well mostly, the "militia" doesn't care what religion as long as you are black). But yes, it happened in Iraq. But we are already in there(funny how no attacks on Christians were there before we entered, huh?).
I suggest you do a google on Sudan and its civil war against the Christian and animist south. I quote from here:

The war, which flared up in 1983, pitting the mainly Muslim and Arab north against the mainly Christian and animist south, was waged across deserts and scrub and killed an estimated 2 million people, mostly civilians who succumbed to hunger and disease.
weird wabbit

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Ritual killing is common in some parts of Nigeria
Oh.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
SECOND-hand.

and a note to the others:

Zimphire's sources on ANYTHING - be it gay lifestyle, anal sex, atheism, European anti-Semitism, AIDS, South African rituals, or whatever - are universally beyond reproach and invariably enable him to hold a perspective that is FAR more accurate and realistic than yours.

Even if you are gay, regularly have anal sex, are an atheist, European, social worker, or South African.

He is the triumph of anecdotal hearsay over experience.

-s*
Gotta give you a on that one. He is such a clown.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 12:57 PM

Oh.
Your point?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Gotta give you a on that one. He is such a clown.
ANother fan boy to add to my list.

A site will be going up soon.

You guys that can't post in a thread that I post in without making some crybaby personal jab against me crack me up.

I am beginning to believe you guys CAN'T HELP IT. That you can't control your actions.

Thus are the actions of a fanboy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 01:02 PM

Your point?
What the crap is going on down in _____________?

No real point, just an observation.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:04 PM

No real point, just an observation.
Ok, as long as we have that cleared up.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:06 PM

And just to put things into perspective.

International Murder Rates

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 01:21 PM

ANother fan boy to add to my list.

A site will be going up soon.

You guys that can't post in a thread that I post in without making some crybaby personal jab against me crack me up.

I am beginning to believe you guys CAN'T HELP IT. That you can't control your actions.

Thus are the actions of a fanboy.
Yeah you are a clown. Not even a funny one. Just a silly one. We take jabs at you the same way you take jabs at a lot of people in an very authoritative way, while you have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about.
No matter how hard you want to ignore it, Afrodizzy is right when he says that one doesn't know jack about a country unless one has been living there. A smart man like you should know better than spouting inacuracies. Given your history, I guess that's not the case.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
I suggest you do a google on Sudan and its civil war against the Christian and animist south. I quote from here:
Your original post:
Sudan (Dafur and the South with its 20 year long civil war), Iraq?

But on the other hand you have Nigeria, so I suppose, that it takes two to tango.
Darfur and the South you mention

In the article you linked to they say this: However, just as the north-south conflict has eased, Darfur has ignited. Government troops and Arab militias are accused of exploiting an uprising to ethnically cleanse 1 million people from the region through aerial bombardment, rape and execution.

Although Muslim, the victims are black African and aid agencies say Khartoum wants to replace them with Arabs.

So on Darfur you are wrong.

The South:

Here you can read about the SPLA and a little about the conflict itself. I'm a bit busy at the moment so I had to read it in a hurry but to me it seemed like the Muslims weren't as bad as they are made out to be and that it was the Christian faction that started the whole thing. Who would have though?

So does that mean the score is 2-0 in Logic vs. Theo?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:37 PM

Yeah you are a clown. Not even a funny one. Just a silly one. We take jabs at you the same way you take jabs at a lot of people in an very authoritative way, while you have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about.

OK there fanboy.

No matter how hard you want to ignore it, Afrodizzy is right when he says that one doesn't know jack about a country unless one has been living there. A smart man like you should know better than spouting inacuracies. Given your history, I guess that's not the case.
So talking to someone that HAS lived there all their life wont gain you any knowledge? Sorry, yes, yes it will.

You tell me I should listen to Afro because he LIVES there!

Yet at the same time you tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I have listen to other people that live there..

What a double standard. Can't be both ways sorry.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 01:42 PM

OK there fanboy.

So talking to someone that HAS lived there all their life wont gain you any knowledge? Sorry, yes, yes it will.
[Zimphire] is the triumph of anecdotal hearsay over experience.
2nd-hand *must* be better than 1st-hand - it's one better, isn't it!

And "fanboy"? There is quite a difference, you know, between fascination and fandom.

People who slow down to take a look at a gnarly car wreck, or who take the time to speak out against ignorance and stupidity aren't necessarily fans of those things.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:44 PM

2nd-hand *must* be better than 1st-hand - it's one better, isn't it!
No one said that Spheric. But I am told to listen to one person that has first hand account, and that is legit. But me listening to another person that has a first hand account suddenly isn't because it doesn't following along with your opinions.

It's a double standard. And it doesn't fly.

Try a different approach.

BTW look at the graph above. It also supports what I have been saying.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise...

Here it is in case you ignore it.

And just to put things into perspective.

International Murder Rates

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 01:48 PM

No one said that Spheric. But I am told to listen to one person that has first hand account, and that is legit. But me listening to another person that has a first hand account suddenly isn't because it doesn't following along with your opinions.

It's a double standard. And it doesn't fly.

Try a different approach.
So two first-hand accounts < one second-hand account from the fountain of wisdom - you?

But if we factor in that theolein's also included a second-hand account from a friend, doesn't that automatically make his claims equally as valid as yours?

BTW, speaking of valid experiences, how's your anal-sex-fan lady friend with the prolapsed asshole?

-s*

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 01:51 PM

BTW, speaking of valid experiences, how's your anal-sex-fan lady friend with the prolapsed asshole?
brilliant.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:52 PM

So two first-hand accounts < one second-hand account from the fountain of wisdom - you?

No, I never said that either. Please Spheric, try to be honest in your posts. It seems to be a problem with you. You know, being dishonest to spin things.

You guys were totally discrediting my knowledge by saying it wasn't first hand. Which is TOTALLY bogus.

Fact is, the statistics support what I have said. Something you seem to want to keep dodging.

Sorry about your luck.

I don't know ask her. She has to wear diapers for a reason. She probably was into fisting.

Is that so hard to believe? Look at the goats.ex guy. You think he doesn't have problems keeping that up in there?

Are you going to post rationally next time, or are you going to make yet another fanboy post and embarrass yourself?

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:53 PM

This stuff about having to live somewhere before commenting on it is pure crap. Does this mean the misinformed, naive USA bashers on this board must now shut up forever, since they know crap about the USA, and many of them have never lived here ?

I don't need to visit SA to know what the deal is over there.

And the only people looking foolish in this thread are the ones who cry racism once again. These people bringing up race are the real racists, as nobody has mentioned it besides them.

As for Sudan, well that is just loony Jihadists doing what they do best - killing others.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 01:55 PM

Are you going to post rationally next time, or are you going to make yet another fanboy post and embarrass yourself?
Sorry - you replied to my earlier post while I was editing it to add:
And "fanboy"? There is quite a difference, you know, between fascination and fandom.

People who slow down to take a look at a gnarly car wreck, or who take the time to speak out against ignorance and stupidity aren't necessarily fans of those things.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
This stuff about having to live somewhere before commenting on it is pure crap. Does this mean the misinformed, naive USA bashers on this board must now shut up forever, since they know crap about the USA, and many of them have never lived here ?

Everything is a double standard for them. They are just helpless fanboys that don't think before they hit "submit"
And the only people looking foolish in this thread are the ones who cry racism once again. These people bringing up race are the real racists, as nobody has mentioned it besides them.
Yes, Spheric really showed his ass on that one.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 01:57 PM

As for Sudan, well that is just loony Jihadists doing what they do best - killing others.
Yeah - YOU tell us all about life in Sudan.

Or Europe, for that matter.

Go on.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:58 PM

Sorry - you replied to my earlier post while I was editing it to add:
No Spheric, you are a fanboy. And you can't control it.

Want a lock of my hair?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 01:59 PM

Go on.
Whaa? Why do you keep on posting this silliness? He never said he COULD.

Get a grip.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 02:00 PM

Go on.
Who cares about life in Sudan, I'm talking about genocide in Sudan.

As for Europe, I am more than qualified to speak about it, since I have been there countless times, and have even lived there for longer periods.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 02:01 PM

Who cares about life in Sudan, I'm talking about genocide in Sudan.

As for Europe, I am more than qualified to speak about it, since I have been there countless times, and have even lived there for longer periods.
Where did you live and at what age?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 02:04 PM

Yes, Spheric really showed his ass on that one.
only in your mind, my friend, only in your mind. (God forbid I ever find out *what* goes on in there.)

Afrodizzy seems to have understood how I could arrive at that conclusion (though the association was really the phrasing of the title vs. Cartman's phrasing, but hell).

And frankly, my second response in this thread was a "thanks for the clarification" - end of story.

If there's an issue or an ass-handing in there somewhere, I must have missed it.

I do understand that somebody misinterpreting you and immediately dropping it because it turns out he was wrong must be an extremely rare occurrence, but I find it interesting that you continually need to bring "it" up?

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 02:06 PM

No Spheric, you are a fanboy. And you can't control it.

Want a lock of my hair?
ONE DAY of taking you off ignore and bothering to read your posts again, and your ego goes stellar.

Amazing.

Good-bye.

-s*

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 02:07 PM

only in your mind, my friend, only in your mind. (God forbid I ever find out *what* goes on in there.)

Afrodizzy seems to have understood how I could arrive at that conclusion (though the association was really the phrasing of the title vs. Cartman's phrasing, but hell).

You are going off into tangents.

You projecting racism into my thread. Something that wasn't there. When I informed you it had nothing to do with race, you STILL Insisted. You didn't stop till someone else claimed it had no racial overtones either.

You were just being a fanboy trying to project something BAD into the thread.

And THAT is how you made an ass out of yourself.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 02:08 PM

Where did you live and at what age?
I don't wish to divulge personal info on any internet forum. I have lived in a few different European countries and am multilingual.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 02:08 PM

ONE DAY of taking you off ignore and bothering to read your posts again, and your ego goes stellar.
My Ego? It was a joke.

But please PUT me on ignore. That way I wont have to weed through anymore of your fanboy posts.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 02:10 PM

I don't wish to divulge personal info on any internet forum. I have lived in a few different European countries and am multilingual.
mhmmmm. I understand

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 02:15 PM

who's the number one all-time Zimphire fanboy?
Zimphire himself

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by dav:
who's the number one all-time Zimphire fanboy?
Zimphire himself
Yes, I like myself. So should you.

That is why all this silliness doesn't bother me. It makes me laugh.

Sorry if I am secure with myself.

That doesn't mean I am full of myself. Don't get the two confused.

fanboy.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 02:58 PM

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 05:27 PM

[B]This stuff about having to live somewhere before commenting on it is pure crap. Does this mean the misinformed, naive USA bashers on this board must now shut up forever, since they know crap about the USA, and many of them have never lived here ?
B]
yeah they probably should... but they won't, because they are just as smart as any of you guys.

You people amuse me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 05:50 PM

There's crazy people and serial killers in every part of the world. There is a difference when the murder is the action of one depraved individual, as opposed to some ritual or sick, primitive religious custom.
Somehow or other, I don't think the dead would agree with you.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 05:58 PM

You people amuse me.
You are fortunate to have such a low amusment threshold. Simians at the local zoo are also easily amused.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Somehow or other, I don't think the dead would agree with you.
I don't think the dead are in any position to disagree with my point either.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 06:04 PM

Ag no men. Some of you ous talk absolute twak - you think that things are so lekker there. I also lived in SA for a long time - 30+ years. And it is a violent place. When my wife and I decided to leave for safer shores to bring up our family, we had a choice of the english speaking countries around (speaking english predominantly) and the first country that we rejected as a possible home was the USA. Our perception was clear - we were hearing daily of incidents here and there in America of kids with guns, of the culture of suing, of the rampant consumerism... and that's what mattered, as with many of you - perceptions! Note, I am not generalising about the United States - our need was for a place that seemed best for us, and I think we were right. So we ended up here down under at the end of the world. And couldn't be happier. Of the dozens of friends and family who have left South Africa, almost all have gone to live in Canada, UK, OZ, NZ.

ps. (Off topic) Glad to see pachead was not baninnated after all (seemed that way yesterday) - he is the only one that makes me smile.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by teszeract:
ps. (Off topic) Glad to see pachead was not baninnated after all (seemed that way yesterday) - he is the only one that makes me smile.
Thx, but me - banninated yesterday almost ?

I am unaware of this. I have never been banned from anything here, not the War Room or MacNN itself, unlike various others who have indeed gotten banned.

Are you sure you're not confusing me with somebody else ?

Banning me would be like banning the Pope.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by teszeract:
Ag no men. Some of you ous talk absolute twak - you think that things are so lekker there. I also lived in SA for a long time - 30+ years. And it is a violent place. When my wife and I decided to leave for safer shores to bring up our family, we had a choice of the english speaking countries around (speaking english predominantly) and the first country that we rejected as a possible home was the USA. Our perception was clear - we were hearing daily of incidents here and there in America of kids with guns, of the culture of suing, of the rampant consumerism... and that's what mattered, as with many of you - perceptions! Note, I am not generalising about the United States - our need was for a place that seemed best for us, and I think we were right. So we ended up here down under at the end of the world. And couldn't be happier. Of the dozens of friends and family who have left South Africa, almost all have gone to live in Canada, UK, OZ, NZ.

Kann jy asseblief vir my wys waar ek geskryf het dat alles rugby, sunny skies en chevrolet is? I agree whole heartedly that SA is a mess, but it doesn't change the fact that I love and miss the country. I've been to Oz and my sister and her husband live there and I loved the place - it really is paradise, but it isn't home for me, and the anglo culture can get irritating after a while.
weird wabbit

Afrodizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 07:57 AM

that's exactly what it means, look... we're all entitled to our opinions, but once we choose to express those opinions, chances are you're going to find yourself in a position where you'll have to rationalise or justify those opinions.

so if you want to have certain opinions about places you've never seen or been to, go ahead. But if you wanna be vocally opinionated, then at least have a basis to argue from. oh and one more thing, you DO need to visit SA to KNOW the deal over there
Top 10 Reasons Why I Procrastinate:

Afrodizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 08:09 AM

it's too bad that an interesting topic spiralled into a flaming session. but anyway guys & girls, the issue at hand is actually bigger than SA or ritual killings etc... the REAL issue is that of the world's (massmedia receptive) common denominator being led to believe that TV, magazines & movies define the world outside of that which they live in.

by extension this creates the world in which we now find ourselves, where assumptions & ignorance reign supreme over tolerance & understanding. people of the world understand very little about each others cultures and ways of life, lest we understand that TV is not really the "window to the world" that it effectively professes to be, then no matter how much smaller analysts say the boundaries of the world are becoming. we can still be sure of one thing.

that the man who knows something knows that he knows nothing at all.

Top 10 Reasons Why I Procrastinate:

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2004, 01:28 PM

No one got their opinion here for TV or Magazines, or movies.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 01:44 PM

My uncle who lives in the US says he can't go out of his house without being harassed by the police. The reason? He's black. What is going on over in the US?

My friend who lives in America can't go out of the house anymore because she's been attacked both verbally and physically for looking like a Muslim and wearing the Hijab. What is going on over in the US?

And both say it's common in the US to be treated that way. What is going on over in the US?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 01:47 PM

My uncle who lives in the US says he can't go out of his house without being harassed by the police. The reason? He's black. What is going on over in the US?

My friend who lives in America can't go out of the house anymore because she's been attacked both verbally and physically for looking like a Muslim and wearing the Hijab. What is going on over in the US?

And both say it's common in the US to be treated that way. What is going on over in the US?

Zimp, you're nothing new.. talking like you have a large audience behind you..

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

And still no "witty" reply from Zimph. What a surprise.

ps. great work on the screensaver flags Any chance you'll do the Swedish flag?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 05:33 PM

No one got their opinion here for TV or Magazines, or movies.

No-one has an opinion on the media? Or people aren't influenced by them? Couldn't quite work out that sentence. If anything though, everyone's opinions are based on many influences gathered, and absorbed over time. In some people, simply watching FOX news, or any other media outlet which has a bias, or paricular leaning, will require very little to have that viewer drooling all over those headlines. they just reoterate what the viewer wants to hear.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Ok fanboy.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 6, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
No-one has an opinion on the media? Or people aren't influenced by them? Couldn't quite work out that sentence. If anything though, everyone's opinions are based on many influences gathered, and absorbed over time. In some people, simply watching FOX news, or any other media outlet which has a bias, or paricular leaning, will require very little to have that viewer drooling all over those headlines. they just reoterate what the viewer wants to hear.
I am speaking just about this thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules