Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Verizon with iSync?

Verizon with iSync?
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 02:37 PM

Anybody have a Verizon cellphone and able to use it with iSync, either wired or Bluetooth?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 02:42 PM

Yes: Have VZW phone.
NO: Isync with Cable. Simply not compatible.
NO: Isync with Bluetooth. VZW does not sell any bluetooth phones.

Actually I can't get my VZW LG-VX6000 to work at ALL with the Mac. It's one of the major obsticles that I have to getting a powerbook.

flame12
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 03:09 PM

The Motorola T720 (CDMA) version is compatable with iSync via USB and Verizon.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 07:08 PM

I have a Verizon-branded Motorola T730. I also have a 3rd party 2-in-1 USB Data/Charger cable and a Car Charger cable, both of which I purchased hassle-free from eforcity.com.

The car charger works OK, but it's a bit slow when charging from a completely dead battery. As for the USB/Charger cable, I think it only charges if the USB end is plugged into the back of my PowerMac. When I plug it into the USB port on my keyboard, I can only transfer data (no charging).

iSync is a little finicky with the T730. For one, it recognizes the phone as a T720 (no biggie there). More annoyingly, sometimes iSync just doesn't want to connect. A restart and replugging in of the phone to the computer usually works.

All in all, my setup works fine with me. I'll sync every few weeks or so, just to sync my contacts. The T730's address book navigation is awkward, however. Instead of just displaying a name to "select" to view all the contact info, it instead inserts the contact's name for each piece of contact info. For example, if my buddy John has a work phone, mobile phone, home phone, and an email address, I'll have to scroll by 4 individual listings for John - one for each contact item.

Maybe I'm missing an adjustment or something. I don't like to play with mobile phones too much. I just like to look up numbers and talk.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:

iSync is a little finicky with the T730. For one, it recognizes the phone as a T720 (no biggie there). More annoyingly, sometimes iSync just doesn't want to connect. A restart and replugging in of the phone to the computer usually works.
[/B]
I have a 730 also, and I think it's the phone that's finicky, not iSync. If you don't plug the cable into the phone just right, it doesn't work.

Dan D.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 11:20 AM

I have/had the Motorola v60s phone from Verizon and used it with iSync. It worked fine for me. Though Apple doesn't specifically list the "s" model on their website, it's largely the same as the other v60 phones, just with a speakerphone added, so it is compatible.

The v60s is currently available at Verizon, but I'm not sure I would recommend it (hence the "had" above). My wife and I each had one and found reception extremely poor, and there was a tendency for the phone to drop calls frequently. Also, the phone's analog performance, important to us when we travel to more remote areas, was terrible. Overall, the phone has a great form factor, is easy to use and seems very well constructed, it's just that its performance was unacceptably poor. After 5 months, we talked Verizon into letting us switch to the LG VX4400B which has proven much better. While not iSync compatible, it does have a freeware Mac client and a large user community.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 11:25 AM

I had forgotten that the motorola phones are offered by verzion. I generally avoid that brand (which is why I probably forgot.)

Yes: If you can deal with a Motorola you'll get iSync to work. If you have a different brand (LG, Kyocera, Samsung, AudioVox) you're probably out of luck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by flame12:
The Motorola T720 (CDMA) version is compatable with iSync via USB and Verizon.
Yes, it works for me !
Besides that, the T720 suxx...
It's my work phone, so I have no choice...

-t

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:09 PM

Well, thanks for all of you with input on this issue. This would be a phone for my sister. I think I will tell her to wait till they come out with some more options.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2004, 11:11 AM

Every week the cellphone dorks start filling their own forums with rumors that the Moto v710 is about to be released. Looks like a good phone, and it will be Verizon's first phone with Bluetooth. I've been holding out to replace my LG 4400, but it's been a long wait. Hopefully this will be out soon. It'll be nice to have a phone I can sync via bluetooth.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=475
Nemo me impune lacesset

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 11:31 AM

Besides the lack of Bluetooth options LG does make some fine phones though. I *love* my LG VX6000 and would like to upgrade to a VX7000 at some point.

That said: I'd love to have a bluetooth option and would really like it if Verizon went to GSM.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 03:09 PM

Actually, the Motorola V710 currently shipping and available at some retailers according to a photojournalism forum I frequent. You can see that thread here.

There's a press release on the Motorola V710 that came out last week.

Take a look here to read about it.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

jfinete
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 08:53 PM

Now we need someone to verify that the 710's BlueTooth implementation works with iSync (I've heard that it may not).

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by jfinete:
Now we need someone to verify that the 710's BlueTooth implementation works with iSync (I've heard that it may not).
I've been wondering about the very same thing. For me, that's half of the desire of having Bluetooth.

I'm currently using a Siemens S56 and truly love having never actually programmed any information directly into the phone. Unfortunately, my service is through Cingular.

So, yes, please share compatibility of the V710 and iSync.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 10:01 PM

Someone had mentioned to me that AT&T Wireless was also now owned by Cingular. Is this true?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

jfinete
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 11:35 PM

Yes, AT&T sold its wireless division to Cingular, but the transition won't be complete until the end of the year. AT&T will keep the "AT&T Wireless" brand name, so next year they plan to sell re-branded Sprint PCS service.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by jfinete:
Yes, AT&T sold its wireless division to Cingular, but the transition won't be complete until the end of the year. AT&T will keep the "AT&T Wireless" brand name, so next year they plan to sell re-branded Sprint PCS service.

Let me get this straight:
AT&T Wireless will be owned by Cingular and will be selling Sprint PCS services? (In spite of having a superior GSM network?)

I'm so confused.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

sworthy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:56 AM

even though the motorola 710 has bluetooth, you must use a usb cable and attach it to your computer to use isync. Kind of defeats the point of bluetooth I'd say.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by driven:
Let me get this straight:
AT&T Wireless will be owned by Cingular and will be selling Sprint PCS services?
At the end of this year, Cingular will own what is currently called AT&T Wireless, but they won't call it AT&T Wireless. It'll just be Cingular. A few months later, a new, unrelated AT&T Wireless will be available, but it'll just be rebranded Sprint PCS. BTW, Virgin Mobile and Qwest are also rebranded SprintPCS services.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:00 PM

Let me explain even more:

AT&T Wireless (the one being bought by Cingular) isn't owned by AT&T. It was born as a division of AT&T, but later spun off. The agreement included a clause that if AT&T Wireless should stop using that name, then the name reverts to AT&T.

So:

AT&T creates "AT&T Wireless" brand wireless service
AT&T Wireless is spun off, but keeps name
Cingular buys AT&T Wireless
Cingular and AT&T Wireless merge, drop "AT&T Wireless" brand
"AT&T Wireless" brand reverts to AT&T
AT&T creates new "AT&T Wireless" service, using Sprint PCS

If it sounds like the incestuous relationships of a hispanic telenovela (soap opera), that's because... it is!

tooki

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 06:11 PM

Odd at best.

Thanks for the update. I think I have a handle on this stuff now.

I think I'll stick with Verizon & T-Mobile. <GRIN>
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 01:05 PM

My T-mobile contract just ran out and I'm looking to switch to Verizon, but the fact they don't have any bluetooth phones is a big turn off. Anyone try the Motorola V600 and Cingular? I'd probably stay with T-Mobile if I could get a discount from them on the V600. My Sony Ericsson T610 just has awful reception.

rmongold
Aug 12, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
My T-mobile contract just ran out and I'm looking to switch to Verizon, but the fact they don't have any bluetooth phones is a big turn off. Anyone try the Motorola V600 and Cingular? I'd probably stay with T-Mobile if I could get a discount from them on the V600. My Sony Ericsson T610 just has awful reception.
I've got a V600 with T-Mobile. Phone works great. Bluetooth implementation really really really really stinks. Motorola's Bluetooth is not compatible with iSync; iSync does work with Mot phones via a USB cable, though.

So that, said, I'm returning the V600 and switching to the SE K700. Already ordered it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by rmongold:
So that, said, I'm returning the V600 and switching to the SE K700. Already ordered it.
Where did you order it from? The K700 looks pretty good, but I'd have no reason to get it if the reception isn't significantly better than the T610's. I can't currently use my cell phone at home because of this problem, so I'm spending more on a landline than I'd like...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 04:25 PM

I am a current (somewhat happy) Verizon customer.

What I like:
- GREAT customer service
- Reasonable contract terms
- Good signal coverage.
- Trouble-free well tested phones.
- VZW seems to use common-sense (They are the ONLY cellular company fighting to prevent spam from coming via SMS ... every other cell company is trying to make this a reality)

What I don't like:
- CDMA (I travel internationally and would much rather have a GSM phone)
- Small phone selection
- Lack of bluetooth phones
- Free data access (using phone as a modem) (slow speed, but good in a pinch)

GSM is my biggest issue. Obviously none are show-stoppers but "nice-to-have" items.

I have no opinion on t-mobile.

I hate Cingular. (Bad past experience) Sprint has a reputation that nobody could love and AT&T is in limbo.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 04:41 PM

I like t-mobile, but I can't get a cheap new phone from them since I'm not a new customer. I don't care for Sprint PCS or AT&T, but could live with Verizon or Cingular. I don't think I'll buy another Sony Ericsson phone again, and I dislike Nokia, so strong bluetooth compatibility would be difficult to get. All this points me toward getting a Motorola V600 with Cingular for $99 from amazon so that I can still iSync over USB and perhaps someday over BT if Apple implements SyncML. The added benefit to Cingular is that they'll switch to GSM850 here once the AT&T acquisition is completed, while T-Mobile will stick with GSM1900. I'll lose T-Mobile's free WAP access though... There always has to be a catch.
( Last edited by itai195; Aug 12, 2004 at 04:47 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 05:36 PM

What's the difference between GSM850 and GSM1900? Are they phone compatible?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

jfinete
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by driven:
I am a current (somewhat happy) Verizon customer.

What I don't like:
- CDMA (I travel internationally and would much rather have a GSM phone)
Samsung makes a phone for Verizon that supports both CDMA and GSM:link

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 05:55 PM

The supposed difference is that GSM 850 can better penetrate walls/windows/etc so you get better reception inside a building. I think there are 4 bands of GSM in use throughout the world: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900. Many phones support multiple bands. For example, the SET610 supports 900, 1800, and 1900 while the Motorola V600 is a quad-band phone, supporting all four.

BTW, you don't have to get GSM service in the US if you want a world phone. You can pick up a GSM phone to use just for travel, since you'd probably want to get a local SIM wherever you go anyway.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2004, 05:59 PM

The supposed difference is that GSM 850 can better penetrate walls/windows/etc so you get better reception inside a building. I think there are 4 bands of GSM in use throughout the world: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900. Many phones support multiple bands. For example, the SET610 supports 900, 1800, and 1900 while the Motorola V600 is a quad-band phone, supporting all four.

BTW, you don't have to get GSM service in the US if you want a world phone. You can pick up a GSM phone to use just for travel, since you'd probably want to get a local SIM wherever you go anyway.
You are probably right. That's what I might do.

Of course folks at home won't be able to call me when I'm elsewhere .... but that actually might be a good thing. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

rmongold
Aug 12, 2004, 07:17 PM

Where did you order it from? The K700 looks pretty good, but I'd have no reason to get it if the reception isn't significantly better than the T610's. I can't currently use my cell phone at home because of this problem, so I'm spending more on a landline than I'd like...
Well, it appears that your options on this are somewhat limited. I went through

http://www.110220electronics.com

It's not really an automated ordering system (the call you back to confirm everything), but they seem to communicate well with the customer. I'll let you know how everything turns out when I receive the phone early next week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules