Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bootup Lockup :-\

Bootup Lockup :-\
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 03:31 AM

OK So I tried to install the 10.3.5 update a bunch of times. It kept crashing and locking up. Then I gave up and everything was still running. Then 2 days later, I rebooted, or tried to, and it hung on startup. I ran TechTool and my volume structure was trashed. So like 8 hours later it was fixed. And apparently it really happened because fsck came out clean, before it gave all sorts of errors. So I rebooted and it still hung at the exact same spot. AND I can't seem to get it to boot into verbose mode. So it gets through the grey screen with the apple. Then the little white window comes up the one with the progress bar... But nothing ever shows up. SSH doesn't start so I can't even get in and poke around.

Any ideas?

willemaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
OK So I tried to install the 10.3.5 update a bunch of times. It kept crashing and locking up. Then I gave up and everything was still running. Then 2 days later, I rebooted, or tried to, and it hung on startup. I ran TechTool and my volume structure was trashed. So like 8 hours later it was fixed. And apparently it really happened because fsck came out clean, before it gave all sorts of errors. So I rebooted and it still hung at the exact same spot. AND I can't seem to get it to boot into verbose mode. So it gets through the grey screen with the apple. Then the little white window comes up the one with the progress bar... But nothing ever shows up. SSH doesn't start so I can't even get in and poke around.

Any ideas?
Am having very similar problem. Tried installing 10.3.5 update and it went through install process then said there was an error installing, please try again. I did, and the same thing happened. Later that day I tried to watch a DVD, and there was audio but no video. The same happened with a second DVD I tried. So I rebooted the system but it wouldn't load, only went as far as window with the progress bar, but nothing appeared in it.

To make things worse, the DVD stuck inside is a rental DVD which I now cannot remove and am paying late fees on. Anyone have any idea how I can get it out? Have tried holding down trackpad button after rebooting but it doesn't work. thanks

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 07:01 AM

Yes, I have no DVD stuck in mine, but my machine is my mail server, and all my mail is bouncing right now :-( I would think that the fact that it locks up after the grey screen, would mean that its a problem with one of the startup items? Well, the first startup item actually? Any thoughts on that? I've been scouring my brain but I can't come up with anything.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 07:18 AM

Do you have something else you can boot off of handy? I'd use the install CDs and try archive/install... if you've got a second drive, just install onto that and boot from there until you can clean the other drive.

As for getting the DVD out... you just need to boot SOMETHING long enough to eject... an iPod, a different HD, a second optical drive. Personally, I've got another drive with a different install on it I could use as the only drive in the system to boot long enough to get that DVD out... I'd probably just install an OS on my iPod and boot from there long enough to eject the DVD (although this would require access to a second Mac... a friend, relative, work, et cetera)

It has been a while since I've seen serious boot problems first-person... is zapping the PRAM still useful? or hitting the CDMA switch (CDMA? little button by the battery)?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 03:24 PM

Tried cuda and pram, fixed volume structures, fix permissions. Nothing had any effect. You can't do an archive and install on OS X Server. I threw in another drive to boot off of, problem is I still don't know what's wrong with my main drive. So I don't really know what I should be trying to fix.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 03:42 PM

One thing I noticed when I start up in single user mode, is a line in YELLOW that says
"failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleCuda."
then it hangs for a bit then finishes up. What is that all about? This is a Blue & White G3 by the way. And yes I did reset the cuda.

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
One thing I noticed when I start up in single user mode, is a line in YELLOW that says
"failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleCuda."
then it hangs for a bit then finishes up. What is that all about? This is a Blue & White G3 by the way. And yes I did reset the cuda.
I'd try rebuilding the kernel extension cache. I believe all you have to do is delete the existing cache and it will be rebuilt at the next boot. For now, try "rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext".

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 03:58 PM

:-/ I tried replacing the AppleCude.kext with a different copy from somewhere else. That didn't work. I would try what you recommended, but I ran out of time, I need to get this machine back up so I backed up all I thought I needed, and now I'm reformatting and reinstalling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules