Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I broke up :'(

I broke up :'(
ambush
Banned
Aug 16, 2004, 11:07 PM

With my GF... we had been going out for approx 4 months...

she was 15 and I was 17.. it was too much of a maturity difference... I explained it to her during 2 hours..we cried for 1 hour. in a park...

I told her I loved her but we had to break up for our own good.. that I want to remain friends with her and maybe try again in a couple of months. it's true. I told her how we totally change between 15 and 17 and she stared at me in disbelief.. she was like a kid. she's just starting to discover life's utter absurdity...... I was like her at her age , no one can blame her. I told her I still loved her and we kissed for the last time and it was the best kiss ever. I told her I could have done this on the phone by email or on msn but that she deserved more respect - she deserved a true breakup, in person. I told her it wouldn't be hard for her to find other guys.. and I couldn't talk because I was crying.. and she spoke for the first time and she said.. yeah.. but guys that respect me and love me like you do? that,s hard to find... and it really struck me... I was hurting a poor child. I was very troubled too and I regret I told her I wanted to break up but there's no turning back now. and her masquara was dripping... and I held her in my arms.... I think it was the saddest moment of my whole life... and I'm proud I did it in person. so many kids do it via msn these days it sucks. poor girl.. poor me.. because I'm equally sad

the truth is I love her. she's beautiful... but she's hasn't grown yet. I was WORSE than her at 15 so it's totally understandable...

she is greek and her nick name on msn was
"den exo tipota allo na po"

I understand this is "phonetic" greek... anyone could decipher it and tell me what it means?

i'd appreciate it .....

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:13 PM

Give it a few more years and you'll learn that 2 years doesn't mean a thing. Being 17 you should know this by now.

Perhaps you were the immature one.
Aloha

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Give it a few more years and you'll learn that 2 years doesn't mean a thing. Being 17 you should know this by now.

Two years between adults means squat. Two years seperation between two teenagers may as well be twenty years.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

I'm sorry that you 2 are having problems. I can relate to you though. My girlfriend and I are 4 years different. She's 16 and I'm 20. Jailbait sucks...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

Eh, emotions are for the weak.

Oh wait... my big breakup went pretty much the same, except she was doing the breaking. The only time my gf ever saw me cry. Maybe you get together in the future, maybe not - just don't dedicate your whole life to this one girl... yet.

Good luck man, it'll work out in the end.

Oh god... I'm turing into wdlove...

ambush  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Link:

wtf.

I think you really don't get it. see my first post.

I won't debate this here but there's a GIANT gap between 15 and 17. for me and my friends anyway.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

On a more sympathetic note, I must apologize for being a bit rough here but the last time I went out with someone my age I kinda felt the opposite *grumble* we broke up after 8 months.. and well.. it was mostly because of her damn cousin >_<

Anyway, best of luck to ya.. and perhaps maybe you will be together someday
Aloha

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:23 PM

It's the time of year, I swear... everyone always breaks up around now. Probably school starting soon and people wanting fresh starts.

First thing, don't guilt yourself, you didn't do anything wrong (nor, necessarily, did she). It's counterproductive, and doesn't help you do anything but feel even more guilty and not move on.

Second, don't look back. Chances are, 10 to 1, she doesn't like you very much right now. After all, you did just dump her, and no one likes being dumped. Just accept that fact and move on - maybe later... much later.. the two of you will be on better terms, but don't plan for it. If it happens it happens.

Yeah.. breaking up sucks, and it's hard to do. But there's not much else you can do about it, except learn from the experience. For better or worse.

All easier said than done, unfortunately. Do what you need to clear your head.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 11:23 PM

Not to sound cold, but you haven't even been to your first bar yet. You're CRYING over this? Toughen up. There's a whole world of women out there. Same goes for her.

My first quasi-serious relationship was when I was 16. I still talk to her. Stay friends.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ambush  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2004, 11:26 PM

oh and her nickname said " I have nothing else to say "

:'(

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

chin up.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 11:29 PM

Heh, I remember those days.

Oh to be 17 again...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
She's 16 and I'm 20
yikes...that's a little sketch...

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:35 PM

When i was 17 i was dating 25 year olds, now im approaching 25 and wish i could date 17 year olds... go figure.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 16, 2004, 11:37 PM

What was she even thinking dating someone as mature as 17?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:46 PM

Sorry to hear that.
I never understood trying to have a serious relationship as a teenager. Be young. You'll probably never see them after college, and you will forget to keep in contact, etc.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
What was she even thinking dating someone as mature as 17?
OMGWTFBBQ you can drive!?!?!?!

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:18 AM

I dated my girlfriend for 7 years. We are getting married next year.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
In a church like most boring ****s?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
In a church like most boring ****s?
Boring? Depends on the church.

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by starman:
There's a whole world of women out there. Same goes for her.
she didn't sound like a lesbian to me.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by sideus:
7 is a lucky number. Dated my gf for 7 years then got married. Now we've been married for 11 years. So, see? It's a good omen. The 7 thing. And congrats.

And for the record: 2 years age diff. met when she was 18 and I was 20. Of course, I was Peter Pan (as most men are until they have a child), so it was prolly more like she was 18 and I was like, oh... 12.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 12:29 AM

Don't worry, time will heal you.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2004, 12:46 AM

Not to sound cold, but you haven't even been to your first bar yet. You're CRYING over this? Toughen up. There's a whole world of women out there. Same goes for her.

My first quasi-serious relationship was when I was 16. I still talk to her. Stay friends.

Mike

ice

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 12:57 AM

she was like a kid. she's just starting to discover life's utter absurdity...... I was like her at her age , no one can blame her.
Hate to break it to you bud, but you're just a kid also. You'll eventually get over this puppy love.

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:02 AM

Chin up,

Good move...

best of luck ...

but when you hit college... all bets are off.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
And for the record: 2 years age diff. met when she was 18 and I was 20. Of course, I was Peter Pan (as most men are until they have a child), so it was prolly more like she was 18 and I was like, oh... 12.

sorry bout the girl. more will come.
I say stick to the Greek girls bc they're hot.

OpenStep
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 01:12 AM

on msn

aaaaaaaaaaarggggg nooooooooooooooo

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Hate to break it to you bud, but you're just a kid also.
Yup. It always cracks me up when I see a teenager trying to pass himself off as "mature in his or her age"

No offense to ambush. We all thought that. Looking back is probably what makes me laugh.

BTW ambush, most girls are usually 2 years ahead of males on the maturity scale during the teen years. That is usually WHY girls date older guys. The 15 year old guys are probably too immature for her. And you are probably her maturity "equal". Giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Watch what you do though. There was a gal I broke up with when I was around your age that now that I look back, I regret doing it.

Of course I wanted to be a male whore at that age. But I probably missed out on the "one"

Mrs. D4n.
Aug 17, 2004, 01:36 AM

BTW ambush, most girls are usually 2 years ahead of males on the maturity scale during the teen years. That is usually WHY girls date older guys.
I concur. Hence, I'm 19 and Dan is 23. We're just about on the same level, I say.

Of course I wanted to be a male whore at that age. But I probably missed out on the "one"
Yea, you all wanna be whores. But awwwe, I'm so sorry to hear.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by Mrs. D4n.:
Yea, you all wanna be whores. But awwwe, I'm so sorry to hear.
Hey, I was 18, and I had girls throwing themselves at me at the time.

Mrs. D4n.
Aug 17, 2004, 02:00 AM

I'm sure that's true, I was just saying that it's all too common amongst you males. And I was sincerely sorry to hear, I'm quite the sucker for true love.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 02:00 AM

Hey, I was 18, and I had girls throwing themselves at me at the time.
Before or after you gave them their money?

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 02:02 AM

I concur. Hence, I'm 19 and Dan is 23. We're just about on the same level, I say.
Sorry to break it to you but 23 isn't a teenager anymore.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by lngtones:
He is only as old as he feels.

And right now he is feeling a 19 year old.

Mrs. D4n.
Aug 17, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Okie, my bad, sorry. But I think that through most of life, the "females mature faster" thing still applies, at least until 30 or so, no offense to any of you. I know this is a generalization and there are acceptions to every rule, but for the most part this one holds up well. So I stand corrected for my phrasing, but not for my statement.

He is only as old as he feels.

And right now he is feeling a 19 year old.
Awesome. Oh, how I love dirtiness!
( Last edited by Mrs. D4n.; Aug 17, 2004 at 02:16 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 02:17 AM

Awesome. Oh, how I love dirtiness!
Dirtiness? He can be feeling you through a kiss, or hug.

But hey, whatever floats your little man in the boat.

Mrs. D4n.
Aug 17, 2004, 02:41 AM

Okie, so for my 50th post (yay me!), I shall bestowe some female insight upon the lot of you (all in response to ambush's original post)...

Though I generally believe that females are more mature than males of the same age, and thus you two would be right about equal, it does depend on the individuals. You seem to be pretty high up on the matureness scale of 17 year old guys. You never explained what kind of problems your supposed "maturity difference" caused, but it's likely to have been something to do with attachment (correct me if I'm wrong). Girls her age (and older) tend to get very attached to their boyfriends. I've been guilty of it myself. And guys your age want your space. You're just starting to discover who you really are, and need time to do so. Time alone, time to act like a moron with your boys, etc. Maybe you felt smothered. Maybe you felt she was too needy and dependent. Maybe I'm way off. But if I'm right, just remember it isn't her fault (which you seem to be doing). Girls are just really emotional and we have a hard time being logical or rational sometimes. If we feel like we love someone, that can be all that matters. So the friendship thing, that may take awhile. She'll be devistated to see you with other girls, probably even if they are just friends. Just give it time. They same time heals all. I myself don't believe that, I think there are just some people that you will never ever get over, and you will always wonder "what if?". But time will help you determine if you made the right choice or not. And as for anyone telling you that you couldn't possibly love her because you're just a kid, don't liten to that crap. Only you really know. Three years from now, you may look back on all this and laugh at the fact that you cried tonight (which, by the way, many girls like...it's not that we want a guy to cry, but if you can open up that much in front of us, well, it's endearing and kind of a turn on), or you may tear up a little again because you wish you could be with her again. I myself have remained friends with all of my exes, and am so glad I did so, so I'm glad you're attempting it. And while I don't look back on any past relationship and wish that it never ended or that we could start over, there was a time when I did. Which just goes to show you that at any moment, when you least expect it, you may meet someone who changes your whole world and brings a new meaning to everything...

Whatever happens between you and your ex, I wish you lots of happiness. Talking helps with everything, so vent more and PM if ya need it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 02:47 AM

You seem to be pretty high up on the matureness scale of 17 year old guys.
Heh, stick around a bit longer.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 03:59 AM

With my GF... we had been going out for approx 4 months...

she was 15 and I was 17.. it was too much of a maturity difference... I explained it to her during 2 hours..we cried for 1 hour. in a park...

I told her I loved her but we had to break up for our own good.. that I want to remain friends with her and maybe try again in a couple of months. it's true. I told her how we totally change between 15 and 17 and she stared at me in disbelief.. she was like a kid. she's just starting to discover life's utter absurdity...... I was like her at her age , no one can blame her. I told her I still loved her and we kissed for the last time and it was the best kiss ever. I told her I could have done this on the phone by email or on msn but that she deserved more respect - she deserved a true breakup, in person. I told her it wouldn't be hard for her to find other guys.. and I couldn't talk because I was crying.. and she spoke for the first time and she said.. yeah.. but guys that respect me and love me like you do? that,s hard to find... and it really struck me... I was hurting a poor child. I was very troubled too and I regret I told her I wanted to break up but there's no turning back now. and her masquara was dripping... and I held her in my arms.... I think it was the saddest moment of my whole life... and I'm proud I did it in person. so many kids do it via msn these days it sucks. poor girl.. poor me.. because I'm equally sad

the truth is I love her. she's beautiful... but she's hasn't grown yet. I was WORSE than her at 15 so it's totally understandable...

she is greek and her nick name on msn was
"den exo tipota allo na po"

I understand this is "phonetic" greek... anyone could decipher it and tell me what it means?

i'd appreciate it .....

Thats your most mature/sad post yet.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 04:01 AM

whats her msn address?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 04:04 AM

�snipski�

Whatever happens between you and your ex, I wish you lots of happiness. Talking helps
with everything, so vent more and PM if ya need it.

there is a spread in our ages, but last year we WERE in the same place, i cant really add more than that as college and high school are so very different. youll get over it, its just part of being 17. honest.

i dont really know what to say, but had i known that relationships in high school were not the end all relationships in my life (romantic or not) i think i would have been a lot happier. just remember, in about a year, youll hardly see those people anymore.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:46 AM

That sucks, I broke up with my girlfriend a little more than a month ago. All in peace tough, it wasn't an age problem but a "being to different" problem, we didn't have too much incommon and she didn't like my james bond-like lifestyle . But life goes on and there will be a thousand other girls so cheer up.

A question tough: didn't you knew when you started the relationship that being with a 15 year old girl would lead to this ? I would never date a 15 year old (I'm 18), even 16 is on the limit. 17 or 18 for me (or older )

PS: If you're 17 you really have to stop worrying about nicknames on MSN they don't mean squat, that's something for when you're 14-15.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 05:57 AM

Jesus!! Lighten up on the guy, who cares about his age, the emotions involved are just as real as anyone aged 30. In fact it can seem moreso due to all the hormones running wild.
A Jew with a view.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 06:15 AM

Sorry to hear it mate, you will manage, you will come out stronger, just remember to always keep things in perspective.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
It's the time of year, I swear... everyone always breaks up around now. Probably school starting soon and people wanting fresh starts.
Sooo true. When it gets to winter though, it switches arond, so many fine ladies looking for someone to warm up to in the cold.
A Jew with a view.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by version:
Jesus!! Lighten up on the guy, who cares about his age, the emotions involved are just as real as anyone aged 30. In fact it can seem moreso due to all the hormones running wild.
Sorry, no. When you're 17 you have NO IDEA about relationships, or yourself for that matter. How could anyone at the age of 17 say that they know themselves very well?

I have a lot of friends that are single, both male and female, and the big difference is that when you become comforatble with yourself, your relationships work out much better.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

version
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 08:22 AM

Sorry, no. When you're 17 you have NO IDEA about relationships, or yourself for that matter. How could anyone at the age of 17 say that they know themselves very well?

I have a lot of friends that are single, both male and female, and the big difference is that when you become comforatble with yourself, your relationships work out much better.

Mike
Oh shoosh. It's not about relationships, it's the emotions I talked about. Those are real no matter the age, and as such, we shouldn't just go in and laugh at the guy.

Who cares if they know themselves? It's not the point, if he is feeling hurt, and confused, no matter why, then be a little sensitive.
A Jew with a view.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Aug 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

thanks guys (and girls) for the support...

I think I'm going to be depressed for long... i'll try to forget the unforgettable.

anyway thank you.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2004, 09:16 AM

Good luck with that "We'll be friends" business.

Whoever starts seeing someone first... the other person will become jealous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules