Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music Recommendation: Jack Johnson

Music Recommendation: Jack Johnson
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 04:27 PM

I dont really post music recommendations this often. But after discovering the John Butler Trio(JBT), ive found a whole new genre of music, and it's totally amazing.
It's melo, it's moodey, it's catchy and its got great lyrics.

If you liked JBT, check out Jack Johnson. He's a surfer from Hawaii...a filmaker and musician.

http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/ (There are samples on his site. Check out the songs 'Taylor' and 'Wasting Time')

Just a sample:
"Everybody thinks that everybody knows about everyone else. Nobody knows anything about themselves, cause they're all worried about everybody else."

Hope you guys find something you like.
Cheers.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2004, 05:28 PM

Jack Johnson rocks. IMO, his first CD (Brushfire Fairytales) is much better than his new one (On and On), but they are both worth having in any music collection.

I would describe it as downtempo/chill music with fun lyrics and great bass work. One of his singles you may have heard before is "Flake" [iTunes url].

Good call, Hawkeye_a

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2004, 06:20 PM

I have been chillin to jack Johnson for awhile now...Well since The Horizon Has Been Defeated....I love it.

Two of the best "chill" albums you could get.
Great recommendation
Who reads this???

teaforone
Aug 20, 2004, 08:38 PM

I've heard a handful of his songs. Pretty dull. I'll pass, thanks.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2004, 08:52 PM

i saw him in honolulu last summer. and at bonaroo. and opening for ben harper. great, "easy" music. and nice guy to top it all off.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2004, 10:55 PM

yea, jack is cool. he did a cover of jimmy buffet's 'a pirate looks at 40'. I dig it.

ben's cool too.
ice

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 11:36 PM

Just had to resurrect this thread.
Ive been listening to JJ for the past 3-4 months almost everyday. i cant explain it. it's just brilliant stuff..... the music, the lyrics, everything. Ive managed to get a hold of a couple of videos and even got his 2 DVDs "Thicker than water" and "September Sessions".

If your a surfer(like myself) youve probably seen his movies and heard his music.

His style is.... so simple. he's on stage with a T-shirt, a pair of jeans, flip flops and his guitar and hes got a buzz cut. it's definately not about the hype and marketing and image to this guy. He's on the stage with his guitar, and nothing else matters to him when he sings...it's pure music, and it's so refreshing. He has pretty much become one of my favorite artists. Anytime im at the beach or going to the beach or coming back...hes on. His recording studio in Hawaii is called 'the mango tree'.

He's got an iTMS exclusive album (seems like an interview/documentary), but if you have not heard him and want to hear something refreshing, something to make you feel good, and some truely awesome guitar work, check him out on the iTMS. I love all his music, but if your a first timer, check out "Flake", "Taylor", "F-Stop Blues" and "Gone" ("Gone" is lyrically a maserpiece imo).

Check out his website: http://jackjohnsonmusic.com

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 08:01 AM

i have his 1st album - good but let me listen again. maybe now that i'm older i can appreciate it more.

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 16, 2004, 08:06 AM

his music is for teenage girls. like dave matthews.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 09:57 AM

I personally recommend the Flaming Lips

Here's a single I recommend checking out on iTunes

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
his music is for teenage girls. like dave matthews.
hmmm.... i'd say its pretty much the complete opposite of that if anything really. if you got the Backstreet Boys et al at one end of teh spectrum, Jack Johnson is at the other end.

edit: by the way, i do like dave matthews as well. seems like it's the 'in' thing to diss them. i think theyre unique and their music is good. i not about who likes them or who dosent like them or how high they are on the charts....it's about if YOU like them.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 16, 2004 at 12:43 PM. )

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
hmmm.... i'd say its pretty much the complete opposite of that if anything really. if you got the Backstreet Boys et al at one end of teh spectrum, Jack Johnson is at the other end.
don't bother. when people say stuff like that it shows their own ignorance more than anything.

music is not specific to male or female in most cases. when it is, that does not mean you cannot enjoy it.

smoking crack = something you should be ashamed of

listening to music = something to be proud of no matter what it is

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 02:31 PM

yeah he'll do now and again.

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 16, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
don't bother. when people say stuff like that it shows their own ignorance more than anything.

music is not specific to male or female in most cases. when it is, that does not mean you cannot enjoy it.

smoking crack = something you should be ashamed of

listening to music = something to be proud of no matter what it is
music is specific to male or female in most cases. for exampl: Usher. Usher is intended for women because he rips off his shirt during his concerts. People go to the concert just to see this. These people are women, or gay men.

Jack Johnson is oriented towards women. His audience is primarily composed to teenage girls.

As previously mentioned, check out
The Flaming Lips or
Air
M83
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

this music is for the most part "unique" and "good"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 08:34 PM

music is specific to male or female in most cases. for exampl: Usher. Usher is intended for women because he rips off his shirt during his concerts. People go to the concert just to see this. These people are women, or gay men.

Jack Johnson is oriented towards women. His audience is primarily composed to teenage girls.

The Flaming Lips or
Air
M83
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

John Tesh is "good" if you're a fan. tobey keith is "good" too if you like him.

stop making generalizations about music and realize that as long as the music is heartfelt and made with some creative passion, it deserves respect.

for you to categorize jack johnson's music as "for teenage girls" is bullsh!t.

In my personal opinion, 4 of the 5 bands you mentioned are not worth my time. It doesn't mean squat though because YOU enjoy it. So have that same respect for Jack Johnson fans.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2004, 11:07 PM

The Flaming Lips or
Air
M83
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

You sound like a typical music elitist, so don't ruin this thread about an "inferior musician" with your trolling posts.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2004, 12:00 AM

I'd heard of him, but never listened to his music, but I've checked out a few tunes on iTunes, and there's some tunes I may download. I would hardly categorize his music as teenage girl stuff! I like music of all kinds; my daughters (25 & 29), are even getting me into some hip hop, and (gasp) rap, although the rap stuff is exploratory right now (I just picked up the clean version of the Marshall Mathers LP at the library. I have a large music library (800 CDs, several hundred LPs, which most of you have never owned, and several hundred cassettes), and there's a lot of variety in there, although a large chunk of it is blues, with a sprikling of country, classic rock, a little metal, a growing jazz collection, and even a few Ani DiFranco CDs.

BTW, I'm 57, and I hope I've gone past the stage of putting others down for their musical tastes. I may not like some styles, but putting down others serves no purpose, other than self ego inflation.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 12:55 AM

Check out Iron & Wine.
I, ASIMO.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2004, 01:38 AM

The Flaming Lips or
Air
M83
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

What on earth are you talking about ? meh...your not worth it. go lock urself in your room and listen to radiohead

P.S> Steve, this isnt elitist, it's stupidity. .... seems to me like he belong to the group that classifies music as 'bad' if it's somewhat mainstream. And then proceeds to menion groups that angry 16 yr old boys listen to alone in their room. hardly elitist imo
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 17, 2004 at 01:48 AM. )

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
P.S> Steve, this isnt elitist, it's stupidity. .... seems to me like he belong to the group that classifies music as 'bad' if it's somewhat mainstream. And then proceeds to menion groups that angry 16 yr old boys listen to alone in their room. hardly elitist imo
I think it's both. From the couple posts he made, and the bands he mentioned, he sounds like a ton of people I've met that will a) bring a person down because of the music choices they make and then b) suggest other "superior" bands that are "different" and not as "popular", because popular is a Bad Thing (tm).

I listen to most of the bands he's mentioned (including Usher, and I'm a guy, and not gay...), and I don't feel the need to bring other people down on their music tastes.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2004, 01:14 PM

The Flaming Lips or
Air
M83
Radiohead
Sigur Ros

(removed mean three word response)

EDIT..

unique and good? for who? is this music for man or for woman? I'd need to know before looking into it, right? I don't wanna go enjoyin' music meant for a woman. **** a concert. I don't go to concerts too much. I listen to music in a car, in my house, in the street whatever. I can't listen to Usher's 'Nice n Slow (Booty Bass Remix)' with the volume on 11 and the bass on 12?? or be extremely high with no responsibilities for the evening and enjoy some Jack Johnson??

Gimme a break.

Now, that said.

M83 - Run Into Flowers (and the Jackson Midnight �uck remix)

Air - Surfin' on a rocket

(but again, please let me know if it's alright for a guy to listen to these. oh, and I'm straight, hetero, etc.)
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Nov 17, 2004 at 01:25 PM. )
ice

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2004, 01:15 PM

The way that I look at it is:

I think Tobey Keith is a big idiot, country western redneck but when it comes down to it �_HE PACKS STADIUMS FULL OF PEOPLE.

People genuinely enjoy his music. He has made a contribution to pop culture and music that people clearly want and demand.

I respect that.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Check out Iron & Wine.

their cover of 'Such Great Heights' by The Postal Service is nice/Garden State soundtrack I believe.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules