Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > macnn scanning ports on my computer

macnn scanning ports on my computer
line
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 10:16 AM

i've been a macnn reader for far far longer than i've been a member of the forums and i really enjoy the site, i recently got a firewall program by intego to add an extra level of protection to my LAN. a couple of days later i notice that out of all the thousands of sites that i visit there is one that just will not load, my safari Homepage site (macnn.com). after about two weeks of not being able to read my favorite site i realize that NetBarrier has blocked two IPs (216.22.45.41 and 42) from macnn for attempting to scan ports on my computer.
i'm no expert but according to my definition (A port scan is a series of messages sent by someone attempting to break into a computer to learn which computer network services, each associated with a "well-known" port number, the computer provides. Port scanning, a favorite approach of computer cracker, gives the assailant an idea where to probe for weaknesses. Essentially, a port scan consists of sending a message to each port, one at a time. The kind of response received indicates whether the port is used and can therefore be probed for weakness.)
now why on earth would macnn be scanning my ports?!?
are they scanning yours too?

thoughts anyone.
i'd hate to block the site since i enjoy so much reading it...

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2004, 10:27 AM

Which ports?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

line  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Which ports?
all i guess, as i said i'm no expert and all NetBarrier tells me is (This address was put in the stop list because it tried a scan port on your computer.)
why, does it make a difference?

Jaey
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by line:
why, does it make a difference?
Well, sorta. It shouldn't be scanning any ports, but it wouldn't hurt to know which ones it did scan.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2004, 12:06 PM

Maybe it's just trying to block 'Avenue A' and 'Doubleclick' - and whatever other (questionable) advertising ploys MaccNN agreed to let them do.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 12:54 PM

How do you know NetBarrier isn't lying?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

line  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
How do you know NetBarrier isn't lying?
what are the odds that nebarrier selects two ramdom IPs on two different days aug.4th and aug 20th that turn out to come from the same host ?
the explanation of questionable advertisement practices as Spliffdaddy mentioned is what i beleive it could be, and what would bother me the most if it turned out to be the case.

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by line:
thoughts anyone.
i'd hate to block the site since i enjoy so much reading it...
If you think it's the doubleclick ads, you could edit your hosts file to stop the ads from loading and see if that makes a difference ot not.

line  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
If you think it's the doubleclick ads, you could edit your hosts file to stop the ads from loading and see if that makes a difference ot not.
i would, but i have no idea how to block only the ads... and as i said when i block either or both of the IPs the site wont load, any advice

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 02:59 PM

Add lines like this to your /etc/hosts file as root:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 127.0.0.1

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP you want to block.

line  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Add lines like this to your /etc/hosts file as root:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 127.0.0.1

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP you want to block.
i appreciate your intentions but i must stress i'm no expert on this matter (basically meaning i can't do unix, i don't know how to log on as root and i don't feel very confident modifying the host file or any other sytem file if not through a shelled application).
also, some of the computers of the network are running multi-user and in such a case host info is managed through lookupd, which gets information from NetInfo, so /etc/hosts will not be consulted unless i have changed lookupd's configuration. I don't think i really want to know how that is done...
in all truth i was hoping not for a tecnical but for a more political solution to this problem such as lobbying for macnn's advertisers to rethink their practices.
Does it make any sense?

line  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 10:58 PM

ok now, no one up for the political solution so lets get tecnical, can somebody please tell me an easy way to block port scans from macnn's advertisers without blocking the entire site?

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 11:22 PM

Use a reliable, prefereably noncommercial firewall. Try IPFW (you need unix), get a NAT router, or turn on IPFW via the easy config in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. If you're on OS 9, ISTR only Netbarrier and IPNetFilter.

It's probably harmless, especially if you have nothing open on those ports. Try going to grc.com and use ShieldsUp, and see what you're open to. Some say Gibson is full of it, I tend to think he's more of a promoter of security awareness than one who knows all about security issues.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2004, 11:57 PM

My system seems to be scanned while ADSL connection live. The most common ports showing up in the system log for my Nat router appear to be UDP 1026, TCP 80, TCP 135, TCP 445, TCP 2745. I have no idea what functions these ports are for.

Here is a small sampling of what by Nat router has been blocking for my system.

Tue Aug 24 17:51:56 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 142.59.191.183:3191 to TCP port 445
Tue Aug 24 17:51:58 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 142.59.29.105:3138 to TCP port 135
Tue Aug 24 17:52:01 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 142.59.29.105:3138 to TCP port 135
Tue Aug 24 17:53:35 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 81.168.131.34:3206 to TCP port 445
Tue Aug 24 17:53:38 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 81.168.131.34:3206 to TCP port 445
Tue Aug 24 17:53:44 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 81.168.131.34:3206 to TCP port 445
Tue Aug 24 17:53:48 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 67.98.30.240:7092 to UDP port 1026
Tue Aug 24 17:53:54 2004 Unrecognized attempt blocked from 216.134.83.57:17906 to UDP port 1026
As a man comes, so he departs.

proton
Senior User
Aug 29, 2004, 12:02 AM

Unless you can tell us the ACTUAL complete message, including all details that Netbarrier is giving you, nobody can really help you. Port numbers would be especially useful.

- proton

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2004, 02:04 AM

i've got no wisdom for ya, but i'd suggest posting in the 'feedback'(whatever it's called) forum if you want to hear something from the mods or whoever.

eh
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules