Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > can you beat education price on a DP1.8 G5?

can you beat education price on a DP1.8 G5?
Zoom
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 10:33 PM

I can get an education discount on Apple stuff and I'm looking at the new DP1.8 G5. No one has sales on Apple stuff, right? Pretty much fixed pricing. But I'm looking to get some extras and that's where it gets tricky because some places throw in free stuff or give discounts on buying multiple items. I'm not sure how to get the best deal.

Here's roughly what I'm looking to buy:
- dual 1.8 G5 PowerMac
- upgrade to 9600XT
- add 512MB RAM
- 19" or 20" LCD display
- iBook battery (my dual USB 12" battery is about dead)

The education price saves you $200, plus you get free ground shipping. The GPU upgrade is $45 (9600XT). No idea what that upgrade is really worth. At the Apple Store, I'd probably go ahead and get 512MB through them BTO (to leave two slots open) and then get another 512MB elsewhere. That's $1911. Add NC tax, that's $2045.

Could I get a better deal at MacMall or something? They charge for shipping, but they don't charge tax. They also do NOT offer educational discounts (is this true of all resellers?). So, unless they could offer me some sort of "bundle" deal on the monitor and the battery to save me more than $200... I can't see that happening.

Is there an angle I'm missing, or is there really no way to beat the Apple educational discount?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:11 AM

if you want to try your hand at development you can get an ADC student account that will give you one hardware purchase.

your same system sans monitor and battery is less than 1800 (that price is including the $99 fee for joining the program) then add your tax info.

Dual 1.8GHz
512MB of RAM
9600XT

connect.apple.com

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:15 AM

Also Apple Edu prices can be beat because of sales tax. I thought about ordering a Power Mac G4 when they were all the rage but Apple Edu Pricing + TX state sales tax of 8.25% and even with free shipping was more expensive than ordering out of state with a shipping charge of $45 for the config I wanted.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 07:46 AM

While I am a SW engineer, the educational discount is through my mohter who is a teacher. That's about as far as I'm going to push that. I've considered becoming a Mac developer from time to time, but I'm not serious enough (yet) to pay for a membership. I'm an "online" ADC member only.

On this model, the educational discount beats, even with tax, beats the regular price, even without tax and free shipping - not by much, but it is better. That's why I'm wondering if there's not another angle I can play to optimize this purchase.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:24 AM

I've always considered the Education pricing, but with the difference in shipping cost from Apple vs. MacMall or one of the others (who all offer free shipping from time to time) and the lack of sales tax, the online guys always come out cheaper for me.

I got my new dual G5 for $2599 from MacMall in a config that was (regular price) $3400 from Apple, and I got free shipping and no sales tax to boot. You just have to keep your eye out for a good deal.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I've always considered the Education pricing, but with the difference in shipping cost from Apple vs. MacMall or one of the others (who all offer free shipping from time to time) and the lack of sales tax, the online guys always come out cheaper for me.

I got my new dual G5 for $2599 from MacMall in a config that was (regular price) $3400 from Apple, and I got free shipping and no sales tax to boot. You just have to keep your eye out for a good deal.
What sort of deals are you talking about? I've never seen new Apple hardware on sale for less that $5 off Apple's list price.

I called MacMall and got a quote. He said he could "help me out on shipping", but didn't reduce it to zero. How the hell did you save $800??
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

AndrewP
Sep 2, 2004, 12:04 PM

I think that amazon.com is my new favorite Apple reseller. They often run specials (right now they have $150 rebates on most powerbooks and G5 towers) and they have the friendliest return policy I've ever seen. In fact, they are the only apple reseller that I know of that will take an open box back and offer a full refund. Their return period lasts for 30 days from the date of delivery.

I returned a 12" powerbook for a full refund not too long ago...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
What sort of deals are you talking about? I've never seen new Apple hardware on sale for less that $5 off Apple's list price.

I called MacMall and got a quote. He said he could "help me out on shipping", but didn't reduce it to zero. How the hell did you save $800??
I just looked, and I actually bought mine from MacConnection. I was going to buy from MacMall before I found the deal I purchased (thanks in part to a post here at MacNN mentioning the deal).

Even before that deal though, I was looking at $2820 from MacMall versus $2699 at educational discount. When you factor in $189 in sales tax from Apple, the MacMall deal is a better one, and they were giving away 1GB of free RAM with purchase.

Here is the page I saved from my purchase last October:

http://david.theresistance.net/g5purchase.html
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:18 PM

I love Amazon, too. The new dual 1.8 G5's appear to have a $100 rebate on them, too, which would more than cover shipping (it doesn't qualify for free shipping). Still, with all that, the Apple Store is cheaper, when using the educational discount, even allowing for tax.

Do they charge a restocking fee? I assume you cover return shipping?

misc
Sep 2, 2004, 12:24 PM

I was under the impression that online resellers could offer you the EDU discount. Am I off the wall here?

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

AndrewP
Sep 2, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
I love Amazon, too. The new dual 1.8 G5's appear to have a $100 rebate on them, too, which would more than cover shipping (it doesn't qualify for free shipping). Still, with all that, the Apple Store is cheaper, when using the educational discount, even allowing for tax.

Do they charge a restocking fee? I assume you cover return shipping?
I'll have to go back and look at it to be sure of all of the numbers, but I was not charged any re-stocking fee. I used my own shipper ($12) and they gave me about $1840 back.... so I lost about $17 in the deal. Not bad considering that Apple would have charged me 10% and any other reseller wouldn't have taken it back.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:45 PM

Anyone else have any tips? I want to buy this weekend at the latest.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 08:35 AM

I just ordered a nearly identical system to what you're considering (DP 1.8, 512 MB, 80 GB, Radeon 9600XT, BlueTooth) for $1825+tax. Apple has a program called a "Friends & Family Discount" wherein each employee gets to give away one 15% discount on hardware per year. Definitely a better price than the Edu. store.

If you can, dig up an Apple employee who hasn't given out their discount yet.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 02:29 PM

Just ordered the PowerMac! I orderd from the Apple Store using the education discount. Should ship in "7-10 business days". Here's hoping...

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 03:12 PM

i also ordered almost the same thing on 8/31.

dual g5 1.8, 1gb, 160gb, combo, 9600xt

on or before 9/16. also hoping that doesnt change. the days just drag now since im excited because its my first powermac.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by misc:
I was under the impression that online resellers could offer you the EDU discount. Am I off the wall here?
Close. No apple reseller may offer an educational discount... this is a side effect of the physical appleStores (one exception : college bookstores).

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Tim Kosch
Sep 4, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I just looked, and I actually bought mine from MacConnection. I was going to buy from MacMall before I found the deal I purchased (thanks in part to a post here at MacNN mentioning the deal).

Even before that deal though, I was looking at $2820 from MacMall versus $2699 at educational discount. When you factor in $189 in sales tax from Apple, the MacMall deal is a better one, and they were giving away 1GB of free RAM with purchase.

Here is the page I saved from my purchase last October:

http://david.theresistance.net/g5purchase.html
My G5 from that very same deal is still working well. I still feel really good about that purchase.

I always check out the educational pricing, but have only purchased a 23" cinema display and other various, inexpensive accessories with the discount.

Tim

Forum Links
Forum Rules