Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Shiira 0.9.3 released

Shiira 0.9.3 released
Chinasaur
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 11:06 PM

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html

Improved interface. Fast as always. Right click now provides basic browser navigation - back, forward, reload.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 11:25 PM

Pretty snappy. I'm gonna try using it full time for a while, see how it works out. So far, so good.

edit: I just wish it had Adium tabs. That'd be slick.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 11:32 PM

it's nice...fast.
but with safari, i can use shapeshifter, safari enhancer (to get rid of underlines in links, and to disable the cache, for instance), and pithhelmet (to block ads).

otherwise, a good browser; just seems like safari with more options.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 11:35 PM

Well you could just use a custom stylesheet to do that stuff, and from the looks of it, Shiira's cache management is pretty robust.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 12:09 AM

can you open a folder of bookmarks (or a set of bookmarks) ie in safari, i keep a "start" folder of tabs i want running all the time...

AND where i can i dL a stylesheet to block ads??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

chessplayer
Sep 13, 2004, 03:32 AM

Wow, it's extremely fast. I'm very impressed. The fish are amusing but it's good that you can download other icon schemes.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
AND where i can i dL a stylesheet to block ads??
http://www.floppymoose.com/

The only problem with this one is that it blocks the thread icons on these forums.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
http://www.floppymoose.com/

The only problem with this one is that it blocks the thread icons on these forums.

that WOULD be a problem....

so, can one open a set of tabs in shiira???

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 06:03 AM

you could specifically turn MacNN back on in the last section of the stylesheet

which icons are you talking about? I don't see any offhand that would match any of the rules, but I didn't look around too hard...

oops... I think it is "showthread.php" that matches "ad."... just add, in the bottom of that stylesheet
Code:
a:link[href*="showthread"] img,
or
Code:
a:link[href*="macnn"] img,

Either of those lines should work... the first would clean up a lot of VBulletin forums, I think. The second would just mean anything that linked to anywhere on MacNN stayed alive... so if you have problems with lots of MacNN ads on other sites, then this isn't the one for you.

Of course, that's assuming I'm interpreting these right. I didn't test.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 07:01 AM

just tested, yes, you can open a bookmarks folder into multiple tabs.

Chinasaur  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 03:19 PM

Turnpike,

I'm new to CSS but neither of your examples for adding image support back @ MacNN work for me. I can manage to get the Reply button to show but that's it. Otherwise, all the buttons from the /image folder are not showing.

Adding { display: inline ! important } after the a:link tag is the key. I've tried using many keywords but can't seem to isolate just the forums.macnn.com/images link...
( Last edited by Chinasaur; Sep 13, 2004 at 03:38 PM. )

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 03:39 PM

I'll try 'em a bit... will post when I get something that works out. Like I said, I hadn't tested.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 03:56 PM

This is working for me. Note that I changed it to just "thread.php" that is active... the "new post" button didn't work otherwise.

Code:
/* * This file can be used to apply a style to all web pages you view * Rules without !important are overruled by author rules if the * author sets any. Rules with !important overrule author rules. */ /* * hides many ads by preventing display of images that are inside * links when the link HREF contans certain substrings. You may find * the current version of this file at: http://www.floppymoose.com */ A:link[HREF*="ad."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="ads."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="/ad"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="/A="] IMG, A:link[HREF*="/click"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="?click"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="?banner"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="=click"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="clickurl="] IMG, A:link[HREF*=".atwola."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="spinbox."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="transfer.go"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="adfarm"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="bluestreak"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="doubleclick"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="/rd."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="/0AD"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="trackoffer."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="tracksponsor."] IMG { display: none ! important } /* disable ad iframes */ IFRAME[SRC*="ad."], IFRAME[SRC*="ads."], IFRAME[SRC*="/ad"], IFRAME[SRC*="/A="], IFRAME[SRC*="/click"], IFRAME[SRC*="?click"], IFRAME[SRC*="?banner"], IFRAME[SRC*="=click"], IFRAME[SRC*="clickurl="], IFRAME[SRC*=".atwola."], IFRAME[SRC*="spinbox."], IFRAME[SRC*="transfer.go"], IFRAME[SRC*="adfarm"], IFRAME[SRC*="bluestreak"], IFRAME[SRC*="doubleclick"], IFRAME[SRC*="/rd."], IFRAME[SRC*="/0AD"], IFRAME[SRC*="trackoffer."], IFRAME[SRC*="tracksponsor."] { display: none ! important } /* turning some false positives back off */ A:link[HREF*="thread.php"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="download."] IMG, A:link[HREF*="netflix.com/AddToQueue"] IMG, A:link[HREF*="click.mp3"] IMG { display: inline ! important } /* * For more examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html */
the only line I added is near the bottom:

Code:
/* turning some false positives back off */ A:link[HREF*="thread.php"] IMG,

Make sure that after you edit the file you quit and re-launch Shiira. This seemed to have an effect for me. Re-selecting the userContent.css file from preferences might have the same result.

Good luck.

NB: capitalization doesn't matter in the element selectors (A, HREF, IMG), but I am unsure if the value ("thread.php") is or not. Traditionally, it wouldn't be, but I haven't had much experience with CSS3.

Chinasaur  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 06:00 PM

That did it. Thanks Bro

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
That did it. Thanks Bro
No prob. Always glad to help squash some ads

Here's an interesting question: when you kill an ad with a user stylesheet, isn't the ad going to have to load, anyway? That could be annoying... ads you don't even see taking up bandwidth and cache space... of course, it's still better than SEEING them...

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 03:23 PM

I emailed Joe Francis (from floppymoose) shortly after posting the above fix. He emailed me back just today saying he updated the version on his site. Anybody who didn't want to bother with fixing it themselves before can now just download the "official" FloppyMoose version and the problems with MacNN forums will be fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules