Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 20" iMac G5 or dual 1.8ghz Powermac?

View Poll Results: 20" iMac or dual 1.8ghz Powermac?
Poll Options:
iMac! 24 votes (46.15%)
Powermac! 26 votes (50.00%)
PC! (just kidding) 2 votes (3.85%)
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
20" iMac G5 or dual 1.8ghz Powermac?
neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 06:34 PM

Normally I don't ask for complete strangers to help me make a major purchasing decision, but I'm completely flummoxed and can't make a decision, so what the heck.

I currently have a 20" cinema display (non-aluminum) and a powerbook, but have been interested in getting a tower / desktop, and using the powerbook for travel, etc. My display is only about 8 months old.

I can't decide between selling the display and buying the 20"iMac, or keeping the display and getting the dual 1.8 tower. I do mostly web and graphic design / development and digital photography, though I will ocassionally run FCP or DVD Studio Pro to do low-to-medium level authoring.

Now I know that the Powermac wins out every time when it comes to raw horsepower and expandability, but I'm at the point where I recognize my needs would probably be easily met with the iMac. The biggest turnoff for me with the Powermac is that I find the enclosures to be way too bulky and large; the plus for the iMac is its tiny footprint.

If you were me, what would you do? Would you go for the power and flexibility of the tower, or sell the display and get a 20" iMac?

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 07:05 PM

I voted powermac. I don't know why. But i did.

Nah, JJ. I say powermac because you may later regret not getting a Power machine, when the iMac goes out of date. You said most of your work was web/graphic design. if you are doing this all the time, I say Powermac, if not, the iMac may be ok. Its just the FCP that comes to mind when I think about saying iMac

noka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 11:02 PM

in a comparison of features, if you're not a power user, the new imac is really hard to beat, great price/performance!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2004, 02:16 AM

If you already have a 20" display, I don't see the point in going for the iMac. Or are you trying save a little money?

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 03:02 PM

I am in a similar situation. I currently have a 21" Sony Trinitron teathered to my 12" powerbook. Which doesn't feel so powerful lately. Since I have start to do some real work w/ my machine again. The monitor I own now if great. Large viewing area (20" viewable) and great color and multiple rez to pick from. Can go all the way up to 2048 x 1536 but I keep it @ 1600x1200. Down side huge CRTs take up a big part of my desk's surface area.

I could sell my monitor & powerbook and get a 20" iMac. Suddenly have pretty much my entire desk free for design mags, books, paper, pencil, etc. Other option is to wait to save a few more bucks and get a dual 1.8 or 2.0 powermac and BTO in a Radeon 9600 and keep my 21" CRT.

What to what to do.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by storer:
I voted powermac. I don't know why. But i did.

Nah, JJ. I say powermac because you may later regret not getting a Power machine, when the iMac goes out of date. You said most of your work was web/graphic design. if you are doing this all the time, I say Powermac, if not, the iMac may be ok.
My god, what is wrong with people here, your implying the imac G5 won't be able to handle professional graphic design? I know people still using Powermac G4 towers at 700MHz and less for professional graphic design work... the G5 imac will be amazing for graphic design work, it will be faster than what a lot of professional studios use.

I voted for the 20" imac because I cant stand the gigantic towers and the noise they make and the imac G5 will be more than fast enough for your usage.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 04:08 PM

People act as if the imac can only surf the web and type letters in word, that it might blow up if you try to do anything more on it.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 06:42 PM

I would say iMac. Great compact design, very quiet (more than the PowerMac it seems, which is VERY important for me), good performance/price. The iMac will do anything you need. (new screen, which might be better than the old cinema display)

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 10:28 AM

I am in almost the same exact boat. What I'm wondering is will there be a big dropoff in display quality from my first generation 20" ACD to the 20" in the iMac. The 20" in the iMac G4 was inferior to my 20" ACD from what I can remember. I'd hate to look at the iMac display everyday thinking "wow this looks like crap compared to my old ACD".

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 11:51 AM

i'm in a similar boat, except i've got a dual 867 and 17" lcd. i'm trying to decide if i should trade 'up' to the 1.8GHz 20" G5 imac. it'll cost roughly $200 extra, but I'd get a bigger monitor, 64 bit processor, more HD space, internal bluetooth, smaller footprint.

but if i sell my setup on ebay, i'll be without a computer until the imac G5s are in stock (i don't want to pay shipping if i can pick it up at my apple store).

ah decisions, decisions.

btw, i've already got a PC. use it for gaming and programming and the such.

Zero2aHero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by alternate_bit:

but if i sell my setup on ebay, i'll be without a computer until the imac G5s are in stock (i don't want to pay shipping if i can pick it up at my apple store).

btw, i've already got a PC. use it for gaming and programming and the such.
Shipping is free from the Apple store if you're willing to wait, I am. At the apple store you can't customize an order can you? I thought they just sell the machines with the original factory settings. That's part of the reason I ordered mine online, didn't think I'd be able to upgrade the hard drive or add bluetooth from an apple store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules