Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need a new graphics card for a MDD

Need a new graphics card for a MDD
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 05:11 PM

howdy, Its time to get a new graphics card. i currently have a ati 9000 pro 64mb in a dual 1ghz mdd with 1.25 megs of ram. my computer is still quick but i feel like its bottlenecked by the graphics card. I need to find something thats at least 128mb and agp. Im also on school budget if you catch my drift. I use my comp for light video editing and gaming. I;ve heard that some cards dont work with certain applications etc. etc. Where and what is the best bang for my buck??? any help would be wonderful. also i heard everquest 2 is comming straight to the mac.. my cousin called them and thats what the rep. told him. Dont know if its true... anyone heard anything?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 05:32 PM

The only two supported cards that would be an improvement over what you currently have would be a GeForce 4Ti or a Radeon 9800 Pro. You can try for a GeForce 3 but they're harder to find than the GeForce 4Ti. You could try buying a Mac Radeon 9600 XT (The Radeon 9600 Pros only have 64 MB of VRAM)off of eBay and do the tape mod to allow the card to run as an AGP 4X card, but you'd have to hack the card a little bit to get ADC working properly. But I've also heard of some people have issues with the 9600 XT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules