Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite Hip Hop DJ

View Poll Results: Favorite hip hop DJ
Poll Options:
DJ Shadow 8 votes (53.33%)
DJ Sushi 0 votes (0%)
DJ Towa Towa 0 votes (0%)
Numark 0 votes (0%)
Cut Chemist 1 votes (6.67%)
Xecutioners 3 votes (20.00%)
Invisible Scratch Piklz 0 votes (0%)
Beat Junkies 0 votes (0%)
Prince Paul 2 votes (13.33%)
Premier 0 votes (0%)
Mix Master Mike 1 votes (6.67%)
Kool Herc 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
Favorite Hip Hop DJ
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 07:47 PM

Out of the ABOVE listed, who is your favorite?

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 07:56 PM

jazzy jeff...
for serious

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 08:08 PM

Felix Da HouseCat?

bbcclo
Sep 20, 2004, 08:50 PM

DJ Tanner

15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 08:55 PM

I'm not a huge Hip-Hop fan, but I do like DJ Shadow's style.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 09:10 PM

forgot the none of above choice

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 09:18 PM

no i said out of the ABOVE who is your favorite, although i did have a crush on DJ tanner when i was a kid.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 09:23 PM

ok then you forgot the choice for will smith

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
ok then you forgot the choice for will smith
Jazzy Jeff is the DJ, Will is the MC.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2004, 09:46 PM

xecutioners played between artists at a 6 artist concert i went to year before last. (eminem's anger management). they were amazing!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 10:34 PM

Cut Chemist.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 11:07 PM

the xmen are amazing i saw them at toads place twice in new haven, they are really great guys too, they signed autographs after the show, and all signed a vinyl for me.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:55 AM

DJ boomtsk
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

george68
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 01:06 AM

Rap sucks.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 02:24 AM

i just came across the beastie boys' Ny state of mind remix by dj green lantern (i think it was on superdupernova.org) and holy wow is it good. like play over and over good.

yea, its good. to bad hes not on the list. and how hip hop is shadow really?

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 02:54 AM

DJ E-Z Rock.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 03:43 AM

shadow can be hip hop.

DJ Z-TRIP shoulda been on that list too.

Numark, Cut Chemist, Mix Master.. all super duty.

Ca$h, you know you shouldn't write your opinion down on the internet in a manner in which it looks like fact. 'cause it's not, duh.
ice

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2004, 04:18 AM

I gave Prince Paul his first vote. I've enjoyed listening to all the DJs you listed but I guess I just like his approach...

Can I take this opportunity to mention DJ Rectangle? -My favourite in-car Hiphop DJ ever! I've got tonnes of his mixtapes on my iPod, he never lets things get stale

I used to like to be really into Dj Cash Money, but I dunno how active he is these days.

In a more UK-Hiphop style, I like DJ Lotek.

Too many others...

SamuraiDL, I know you said from the ABOVE listed, but you didn't really think we'd stick to it did you? Anyway, cool thread.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 11:20 AM

I don't even recognize any of the names.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

george68
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
Ca$h, you know you shouldn't write your opinion down on the internet in a manner in which it looks like fact. 'cause it's not, duh.
It is fact. Rap sucks. You are just ignorant of that fact.

Keep it real, suburban white kid thugs. You guys are tough!

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 05:37 PM

no i realized that people would add to the list, but thats great cause that way we can learn about other djs!!!

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by george68:
It is fact. Rap sucks. You are just ignorant of that fact.

Keep it real, suburban white kid thugs. You guys are tough!

you're more ignorant.
I win.
(seriously.)

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 06:14 PM

I chose DJ Shadow from the ABOVE list, but my favorite would have to be Dan the Automator.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:35 PM

yeah automator is sick, i cant wait to see dell the funky homosapian at toads in a couple of weeks!!!!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 06:38 PM

you *have* to report on dell. damn, i am jealous.

i got tickets for the beastie boys next month. been wanting to see them for years.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:41 PM

i never heard of any of them so no 1 it is

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 06:42 PM

This guy is really HOT

Click for Elektronik Supersonik

http://www.boreme.com/bm/view_collec...e/menu2_fr.htm
As black as Mick Jagger

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:46 PM

most definitely will do mdc, toads gets some good hip hop from time to time, de la is coming Talib is coming, krs1 is coming, seen gangstar there as well as blackalicious and J5.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 06:47 PM

Hottest DJ in cell 144523

NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

I hate hip hop. It's just a trend.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

ringo
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

Dan "The Automator" Nakamura

"Rap Sucks" kids, go play in traffic....boring people were saying the same thing about Rock and Roll not long ago.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:42 PM

sweet

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
most definitely will do mdc, toads gets some good hip hop from time to time, de la is coming Talib is coming, krs1 is coming, seen gangstar there as well as blackalicious and J5.

hell yea.

Beasties are coming here in like a month, it's sold out, I don't have a ticket. bummer, but seen 'em 3 times already.

Saw J5, had a chat with Chali 2na at Lollapalooza this past year. that was awesome.

Oh, and a favorite club-entry denial story of mine.. like 4 years ago, some friends and I were in South Beach, and were gonna hit a club. We were at Wet Willy's on the beach, hammerin' some of those frozen 151 drinks beforehand. while waiting for some more people, this girl gets a phone call from her friend. he's coming. About 15 minutes later, I hear this unmistakeable voice behind me greeting my friends. it was Guru from Gangstarr.

anyhoo, he hung out for a few and left, telling us he'd meet us at whatever club we went to. At the door of the club, the frickin' girl was letting everyone from my group in but me, cause I was 'too casual' ... I had on nice pressed pants with a bad-to-the-bone button down/long sleeve. I called bullshlt. she was like 'ha ha' and i was pissed.

to end, Guru met back up with us, and we walked up to that particular club. The door girl practically tripped on her ugly ass high heels to open the 'ol velvet rope for Guru, offering him and his group (me and my 'busted' shirt) a quick in to the club. He was like 'nah, you wouldn't let my boy in. I gave 'em that shirt.. we're goin down here to #@@# club.'

he's a cool ass dude.
ice

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:53 PM

nice, yeah Guru is sweet, his whole flow on daily operations is the most amazing **** ever. Chali 2na is a great guy too, my cousin ran into him in the mens room at a movie theater after seeing spider-man 1, he was like"yo man for real come check us out tonight at Toads, and we did and he gave us a shout out from the crowd... but the kicker was that he remembered us two years later at toads again and we told hi m where he could get some good vegetarian food, pretty funny... however i am sad to admit that Guru has gone down a little the past few years, but still quite a prominent role in hip hops history.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
I hate hip hop. It's just a trend.
a 30 year old trend. fsckin' dimwit.
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
however i am sad to admit that Guru has gone down a little the past few years, but still quite a prominent role in hip hops history.
agreed.
ice

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:58 PM

a 30 year old trend. fsckin' dimwit.
Yeah, well, it just got realllly popular these last few years. it's just the "cool" thing to listen to right now....

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by george68:
Rap sucks.
No it doesn't.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:01 PM

webscreemer your all wrong. Hip hop has been popular for probably longer than you have been alive. Tell me Run DMC was not popular when they first broke out? Or Herbie Hanckocks Rocket? Or Furious Five? Or Del la soul? Or Beastie boys? Or even earlier, Grand Master Flash? Or Sugar Hill Gang? come on...

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:02 PM

just as i thought, Webscreemer was born in 1984, Hip Hop was HUGE in 84!!!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 09:04 PM

Yeah, well, it just got realllly popular these last few years. it's just the "cool" thing to listen to right now....
That means nothing. It's had mainstream popularity for 15-20 years now.
Run DMC? LL Cool J? Young MC? All from the 80s.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:08 PM

i and i reggie, i and i brotha

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:09 PM

well, go on iTunes and look at the charts. The last few years the charts are FULL of hip hop and shitty rap. Back in 84, it was rock... hip hop was there, but wasn't huge.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:10 PM

webscreemer..admit you are wrong now and save yourself the humiliation...

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:15 PM

wrong about what?

It's trendy. I think most people would want to listen to a nice melody from the Beatles than rap. It's the peer pressure and the media that makes rap cool right now. A nice melody will last forever... a few words that rhyme and a shotty beat won't.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:17 PM

yeah...the beatles..great comeback dude, the beatles, talk about right place at the right time...

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 09:18 PM

yeah, that one was even better than mine

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 12:02 AM

hell yea.

Beasties are coming here in like a month, it's sold out, I don't have a ticket. bummer, but seen 'em 3 times already.

Saw J5, had a chat with Chali 2na at Lollapalooza this past year. that was awesome.

Oh, and a favorite club-entry denial story of mine.. ...
he's a cool ass dude.
very cool story.

i have one, it pales in comparison to that though. i just think it is cool.

some background info. in south africa lucky strike (the cigarette company) has (used to have, not sure anymore) these parties. it was a way of advertising. you had to be invited to these parties, and get on the list. a few (3 i think) years ago in cape town south africa lucky strike was having a party and some friends and i could not get on the list. then we found out cypress hill was playing. we went to the event and hung out and eventually got in. it was an awesome show.

anyway. so earlier this year i was in london and a friend told me that cypress hill was having a tiny show and we got tickets. we were standing around and sen dog and bobo walked past and up to the bar. everyone ran up to them and got autographs and stuff. my friend and i walked past and said hi and then told them that we saw them at their show in cape town. i was talking to sen dog and he thought it was cool and we spoke for a few minutes, asking what i am doing now, where i am staying, etc, etc.

and another small one.

last month i was in london again and i got tickets to see everlast. always been a house of pain fan and always wanted to see everlast. the show was on his birthday. as he finished singing one of his songs and it got as quiet as it was ever going to get i screamed "happy birthday!" he smiled and said thank you and then told everyone it was his birthday, and then asked what they got him. everyone sang him happy birthday. and then at the end of the show he did jump around, accompanied by live instruments. the jaws of life could not get that smile off my face

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:11 AM

wrong about what?

It's trendy. I think most people would want to listen to a nice melody from the Beatles than rap. It's the peer pressure and the media that makes rap cool right now. A nice melody will last forever... a few words that rhyme and a shotty beat won't.
you, cash and everyone else that just says 'rap' or 'hip-hop' is just uninformed.

Slum Village is not Biggie Smalls is not Canibus is not J5 is not Talib Kweli is not Jill Scott is not Digable Planets is not Deltron is not Dre is not Abstract Rude is not Mos Def is not People Under the Stairs is not De La Soul.

I so know that you anti-rap guys are thinking about commercial crap. your spectrum is small, dudes.

the beatles..
jesus.

nice comparison.
ice

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 12:35 AM

Well, I agree with Webscreamer, especially in major metro areas. Hip-hop had a nice niche back in the 80s and it began to grow in the 90s with guys like Dre, Snoop and Ice Cube (to name a few) appealing to a lot young fellas. Around that time, an underground hip-hop movement began, which many of the true hip-hop heads will know about, and it�s still around today (think the Roots, J5, etc.). In the last five to six years we've seen an increase in hip-hop�s popularity when compared to other genres (especially "rock" whose popularity has decreased in that same period).

As a non-hip-hop DJ, I've seen the increase in the popularity of hip-hop first hand. (I mostly play progressive trance and house as hobby.) Whether it's radio stations or clubs, whether it's LA, NYC, Miami and even the Bay Area (where house used to be very big), the popularity increase in hip-hop is very evident.

I have a couple of friends that DJ house in SoCal and many of them can�t get gigs on the regular basis anymore. Promoters wont even listen to your tapes/CDs unless it�s hip-hop. Some radio stations that used to play *insert non-hip-hop genre here*, now play hip-hop because that's what people want to listen to. That�s not to say that every club or radio station is a hip-hop one, but many that weren�t now are. (You even have famous house DJs like Armand Van Helden saying that, �house is my love, but hip-hop pays the bills.)

How long will it last? Who knows, but this sort of trend is nothing new. Most recently, alternative music (or rock, whatever you want to call it) saw a similar surge in popularity back in the early 90s. Back then, the trend was to listen to Nirvana or some band like it. Nowadays, alternative isn't so popular.

I don�t think hip-hop will die (you�ll always have at least that underground movement), but its popularity is bound to decrease at some point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules