Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Long Exposure Photo with Lightning (BIG PIC WARNING!!)

Long Exposure Photo with Lightning (BIG PIC WARNING!!) (Page 2)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2004, 08:27 PM

I did a similar picture with a flashlight. It's pretty easy. The camera didn't pick my movements up at all. It just looked like i was finishing up the S in my last name.

I didn't have a scanner at the time so I had to write it backwards. Took about 10 pictures before I got it right. They all looked cool, though.

I also attached my panoramic lens on the camera and took a 4 second exposure of San Jose from the hills. Looked really cool.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
You really don't know WTF you're talking about, do you?
Anybody can brush that purplish blue and reduce opacity.
Observe.

Here's you're 5 minute quick job using a large soft brush with 3B6BF1. Change opacity and maybe a blend mode, and you've got a fairly close remake. Also not I desaturated the grass with the sponge, in case you ask.
Anything can be done in Photoshop. That's fairly basic.
Except yours looks fake....

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 09:21 PM

So does the one with fake lightning. That is not real. That's BS.
Somehow, I don't buy that the lightning was close to that blbig tree on the far left that it'd show like that right through it.

Unedited Xenofex lightning.
Either it's the most realistic filter ever or this picture is bs.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 09:55 PM

I'm not sure. It still looks a little doctored.
I am 100% sure that the background lightning is absolutly fake. It is Xenofex, a PS plugin with lighting. KPT collection has a similar filter. Looks like they blurred part of it and added a little grain. Otherwise, it looks like total bs. Not sure about the letters, though.
Meh, I've taken lightning pics like that (without the light pen writing) with my Minolta XTsi and my father's Minolta X-9 SLR's before. It's definitely possible to get a lightning shot like that.

The hardest thing about the shot is probably writing your name with a led in under 15 secs. The rest just sounds like dumb luck.

Awesome photo though - real or photoshopped.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 11:05 PM

I thought that looked really cool so I went outside and did it myself! Check it out!

(its uploading as I type this, so it wont be all loaded, if it loads at all. All together I am uploading 24.5 mb so give it a few minutes before you complain about the site being down)

Edit: ok, give it about an hour... its only uploading at 30 kb/s . I guess the server is slower than i thought... My connection is "Awesome" so it isn't me.

RE-EDIT: its all up now.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 29, 2004 at 11:21 PM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 04:14 AM

cool

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 30, 2004, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I thought that looked really cool so I went outside and did it myself! Check it out!

(its uploading as I type this, so it wont be all loaded, if it loads at all. All together I am uploading 24.5 mb so give it a few minutes before you complain about the site being down)

Edit: ok, give it about an hour... its only uploading at 30 kb/s . I guess the server is slower than i thought... My connection is "Awesome" so it isn't me.

RE-EDIT: its all up now.
I�m a believer now.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

entrox
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 06:25 AM

Either it's the most realistic filter ever or this picture is bs.
I'd say your analysis is bs.

More real.. err... 'fake' lightning pictures:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Remarkably, they really look like the lightning on the original pic! I guess they have been photoshopped, too.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 07:05 AM

Somehow, I don't buy that the lightning was close to that blbig tree on the far left that it'd show like that right through it.

Look at the picture again. See where the lightning hits? Way in the distance. It can't possibly show through the tree.

Forum Links
Forum Rules