Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone use Yellow Dog Linux?

Anyone use Yellow Dog Linux?
iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl4.0.shtml

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Yellow Dog Linux. I'm not really sure what it's good for though

Apparently it contains something called MOL which doesn't emulate APIs so can run OSX very well. Not sure what all that means either actually.

I was just interested to take a look at it all and thought maybe someone here might have some input about it.
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by iluvmypowerbook:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl4.0.shtml

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Yellow Dog Linux. I'm not really sure what it's good for though

Apparently it contains something called MOL which doesn't emulate APIs so can run OSX very well. Not sure what all that means either actually.

I was just interested to take a look at it all and thought maybe someone here might have some input about it.
Its Linux for PowerPC processors like the Mac has. Its very nice and stable and gives new life to older Mac hardware. If you partitions your drive you can dual boot it with mac os x. If you have no experience with Linux and want to try it without buying a pc, its a great way to start. YDL flies on recent hardware, if you are so inclined.

MOL is simply a virtual machine for the Mac OS X (or 9). You run it from YDL; its not emulation, its simply a way to run mac os x without leaving linux. It is fast since it runs right on the hardware.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Its Linux for PowerPC processors like the Mac has. Its very nice and stable and gives new life to older Mac hardware. If you partitions your drive you can dual boot it with mac os x. If you have no experience with Linux and want to try it without buying a pc, its a great way to start. YDL flies on recent hardware, if you are so inclined.
I always wanted to try some form of Linux (don't really know what to choose or where to get it), but how do you install it? Is it just a boot-from-CD kind of deal, or can you do it from OS X to a separate partition, or what?

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 06:38 PM

You do have to install it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 08:05 PM

I've run YDL 2.3 and 3.0 on a beige G3. I found it to be a pain to install, but once I figured out what was screwing it up I managed to put it in ok.

My main problem with it was that the software update system was usually broken (it would say that a certain remote file was missing or broken, and refused to update) and it was very difficult to find a recent build of Firefox that would work on it. I found that it was pretty pointless to use YDL instead of OS X + fink, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 08:56 PM

I've fooled around with YDL. I say "fooled around" because I never could get wireless networking to operate correctly (or at all) and without wireless on my laptop I don't see the point. Not when Mac OS X works so well, anyway.

My main interest was to have some knowledge about an alternate operating system. Just trying to be a more complete geek. Maybe I'll give the 4.0 release another shot on my old Pismo and fight some more with the wireless stuff. I will say, their tech support people are more than willing to work with you (via email) to get any problems straightened out, but I just lost interest after a couple of weeks. There's always paid phone support, but I didn't go that route. I was hoping to see the YDL folks at MacWorld Boston this past summer but like almost everyone else they chose not to attend.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 10:25 PM

Linux has for most of its life been more of a hobbyist's OS, a free Unix clone for PCs, but it's quickly become more and more a desktop OS that will run on nearly any platform.

Linux is virtually the same as another Unix flavour called BSD, and Mac OS X is built on BSD, which is why it's so stable, scalable, and flexible. That's also why Unix admins love OS X, why Macs can be used for supercomputers, and why most Linux programs can run on Macs. Safari is also based on Konqueror, the Linux web browser. Mac OS X is basically Unix/Linux done right.

Why would someone run Linux on a Mac? Mostly - I think - either to play with the power of Linux (and learn more about computers that way), or to get the most use out of an older Mac.

Yellow Dog Linux is the most popular Linux distro for Macs, but user-friendly Mandrake also has one:
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/...2417&wslang=en
They probably offer a free download. I think Gentoo Linux also has a Mac version for the adventurous.

However, if you have an old PC lying around, that's a better candidate. Installing a distro like Mandrake should be as simple as booting from the CD and waiting 15 minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules