Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > windows 2003 server edition, SMB, problems

windows 2003 server edition, SMB, problems
rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 04:49 PM

hi, i am trying to connect to a windows 2003 server edition server at my job, but i am having zero luck. when i try to connect to it through the Network list, it says "the alias could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found" it does not say that when i connect to the windows NT server, it works perfectly, which is where all the data that i need to write/read is not located. i also tried connecting through SMB, but it says "the user name and password is not correct", or "some data could not be read or written" i know the password and all that is correct, so why would it not work? it also prints gibberish on the printer through windows printer sharing. could someone tell me how to fix it?

thanks in advance
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

yukon
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:04 PM

thinngs change when it comes to proprietary standards. Try getting your company to move to *NIX and Samba, it can support many more users with less pain.

there's a setting ISTR for Win2k3 servers, try searching google for "samba "Windows 2003" smb.conf". You may have to read a bit of documentation.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 03:37 PM

I have the same issue... and we can't just switch the company over... There has to be some setting with 2k3 since all the Macs have the same issue (i've tried to get them to get an XServe... but NOOO). So, information that will help is greatly appreciated.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 04:05 PM

Windows 2003 server by default supports digitally encrypted signatures during a log on. You must turn this off for Mac clients. MacWindows.com has some good info on problems with 2003 server and Macs.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 04:41 PM

Cool, we'll check that out. Thanks.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 06:23 PM

Here what you need to do: go to "Start" ->"Administrative Tools" -> "Domain Controller Policy" (not Domain Policy) and look for "Security Settings" -> "Local Policies" -> "Security Options" -> "Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)". It should show "Enabled" by default. Double-click on it and set to "Disabled". Then close the app and reboot the server. When it comes back up, the Macs should connect without difficulty.
This is the only setting that needs to be changed. Disabling the other similar settings will only weaken the security between all your Windows boxes.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2004, 10:34 AM

AWESOME... that worked like a charm! THANKS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules