Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pepsi iPod promo - as big a joke as Pepsi/iTunes promo?

Pepsi iPod promo - as big a joke as Pepsi/iTunes promo?
Sebastien
Oct 5, 2004, 07:54 PM

I don't know what other people's experience has been, but Pepsi Canada's iPod promo seems to be nothing but a sham, or at least as well organized as the Pepsi/iTunes promo...

In the last 2 days I've had nothing but trouble using it; first it wouldn't allow me to register, then would start giving me blank error messages, and now it constantly times out when trying to do anything with it. And, yes, I've tried just about every combination of browser/platform that pretty much exists.

I'm seriously considering filing a complaint under the Gaming Control Act of my province...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 08:12 PM

What exactly doesn't work for you? Everything's fine here, using Safari.

Sebastien  (op)
Oct 5, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
What exactly doesn't work for you? Everything's fine here, using Safari.
Well, like I said in my post, it either times out or gives a blank error message, or something, no matter what I try (correctly). Basically, it just doesn't work. And again, NO, it's not my connection, ISP, modem, alignment of the moon with Jupiter, or anything like that, and YES, my system is fine, everything else loads fine, as well as other systems I've tried; it's THEIR system. And I've been reading a lot about others having similar problems elsewhere...

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 08:42 PM

hmmm ... maybe they're just overloaded right now with all the zealots banging their servers (Apple's been known to underestimate demand for their own products a few times).

BTW, I thought the Pepsi/iTunes promo was great. It was easy to find winning bottles, and now I have about 20 iTMS songs for free. Of course, it didn't work as they wanted ... I've still never forked over any actual cash to the ITMS.

Sebastien  (op)
Oct 5, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
hmmm ... maybe they're just overloaded right now with all the zealots banging their servers (Apple's been known to underestimate demand for their own products a few times).
If they're that clueless that they can't design a system to take the load (or to scale to it), then I guess this shouldn't really be a big suprise (talking about pepsi of course).

... It was easy to find winning bottles, ....
...IF you could find any at all.

Clearly Pepsi doesn't seem too competent at running promotions...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Sebastien:
Clearly Pepsi...
Mmmmm. Clear pepsi. I miss that stuff.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 12:50 AM

Clear stuff tasted like rust.

Urge to drink more growing... even though I hate it.

bbcclo
Oct 6, 2004, 10:37 AM

my buddy won a free iPod yesterday (well he received the winners email)... now its just a waiting game to see when it arrives.

he also just submitted ONE non-purchase entry and won!!... damn lucky guy.
15" Ti Powerbook | 15 gig 3G iPod

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2004, 10:55 AM

I think some here just wish they were able to participate.
Well, I guess sometimes it DOES pay to be Canadian

-t

Sebastien  (op)
Oct 6, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by bbcclo:

he also just submitted ONE non-purchase entry and won!!... damn lucky guy.
Of course he won! He's probably the only one that could get his entry in Oh well!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2004, 05:35 PM

I tried to get it working, needless to say I'll be submitting a lot of these when I'm at home and not stuck behind this network.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 12:14 PM

I wasn't even aware that there was a Pepsi iPod Promotion. Feel that I did real well with the Pepsi iTunes promotion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I wasn't even aware that there was a Pepsi iPod Promotion. Feel that I did real well with the Pepsi iTunes promotion.
its canada only, sir.

Sebastien  (op)
Oct 18, 2004, 07:16 PM

Well I must say this thing is getting uglier and uglier... after they finally fixed their non-responsive servers, they've now forced people to clear their cache (instead of using a different filename on their site) in order to be able to claim a PIN, and they now come across more like you're trying to cheat than to participate by the rules in the texts (obviously their badly designed system can't properly deal with multiple requests per hour and it's given them problems). Plus they changed the NPN process so that if you mistakenly try to get another PIN within the same hour (hey happens, afterall their email takes forever to arrive, and doesn't have the date stamp of when you asked for it...) you will probably get disqualified for an honest mistake - they used to warn you when you tried for another PIN.

And today, they burried the No Purchase Necessary link in their rules & reg page, instead of in the front page like it was before.

Seems to me they don't want this promotion to succeed either.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 04:28 PM

After logging in, change 'main' in the URL to 'npn'. Easier than buying Pepsi bottles.

Apparently the reason they buried the NPN link, and have been changing the survey, is because of cheaters. (It's run by someone independent from Pepsi, "IC Group, inc" if memory serves.)

There is a huge thread on this contest here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules