Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If you're a donar, your organs could be harvested before you're actually dead.

If you're a donar, your organs could be harvested before you're actually dead.
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 03:20 PM

Kinda scary that the guy wasn't actually "dead" first. Though I figure the guy must have been pretty far gone.

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A western Colorado coroner said Monday that two hospitals allowed vital organs to be removed from a man before they had proven he was brain dead, and he declared the death a homicide.

The cause of William Rardin's death was "removal of his internal organs by an organ recovery team,"
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/05/org....ap/index.html

Almost makes me want to remove the organ donor status from my license.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Oct 5, 2004 at 03:25 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:24 PM

Sounds pretty dead to me:

Rardin was brought to Montrose Memorial on September 26 and declared brain dead, Young said. He was then taken by helicopter to St. Mary's, where he was again declared brain dead and surgeons removed his organs.

Dan Prinster, a vice president at St. Mary's, said the hospital was willing to have a third party evaluate how Rardin's case was handled to prove everything was done correctly.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 03:29 PM

Stuff like this is what keeps me from not wanting to donate my organs.

That, and a desire to be buried as intact as possible :/
Genius. You know who.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Sounds pretty dead to me:
"Young said each hospital performed a test that did not prove Rardin was dead, and that more tests should have been done. He would not discuss details of the tests."

Edit: However, considering the guy shot himself (I suppose in the head), it was probably more merciful to go ahead and let him die.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:

Really? You must really love grave worms to insist that they are allowed to dine on such fine meat.
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 03:54 PM

If you're a donair, then I think having your organs harvested would be the least of your worries.

Oh, wait . . . you meant organ "donor".

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 04:17 PM

Sounds like what the chinese do with their political executions.
Harvest the organs and bill the family for the bullet.
( Last edited by Secret__Police; Oct 5, 2004 at 04:23 PM. )

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 01:27 AM

and think of the people those organs could have saved.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 01:47 AM

well i live in colorado and the denver front page said he had shot himself in the head with a shotgun... trying to commit suicide... SO WHO GIVES A FLYING FAWK, the guy wanted to be dead...

Zach

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 01:54 AM

..., where he was again declared brain dead and surgeons removed his organs.
Originally posted by MacNStein:
Almost makes me want to remove the organ donor status from my license.

do it.......NOW!

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:

And you'll need your organs while dead, why?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 02:31 AM

I say homicide too.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by The Windozer:
Really? You must really love grave worms to insist that they are allowed to dine on such fine meat.
Well, when I eventually kick the bucket - I'm hoping that my organs can be of help to someone, and that my remains will be burned and my ashes spread over the sea and the Cullins on Isle of Skye.

Cohiba
Oct 6, 2004, 06:26 AM

I'm a donor. Personally, if I am "damaged beyond repair", then the doctor can pull the plug before I kick the bucket to ensure that another person can live. I just wish I could choose who could get them. This way lawyers could die like the bastards they are.

But in all reality, there are some slimy rotten people who need to die that are waiting for organs which could go to some good people. I would be all for having those who want organs to get a full background check before applying for organ transplants to ensure certain people do not get my body parts. Although I give blood regularly, I know some rotten people get that too.

But, if I tried to shoot myself as the guy here did, then I probably did not want people to keep my alive anyway. So, really everything works well. But, if you were all ground up and missing legs, arms, and would regularly pass in and out of painful consciousness, would you really want to live much longer? Me, no, pass the organs on.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
do it.......NOW!
always glad to see you contribute something valuable to a conversation.
- Thomas Paine

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
I know I won't need them, but for some reason I find it kind of creepy to have someone cut me open and start "harvesting" not too long after death.

And with my luck right after I authorized that someone would come along and invent some kind of "reanimation" technique
Genius. You know who.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
In case I come back as a zombie.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 09:57 PM

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 10:15 PM

I don't give out candy at halloween, I don't give out organs when I'm dead. They'll have to rip them from my cold dead body like everybody else.

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 10:43 PM

BadgerHunter, I laugh at very few posts, good job ;-D

By the time I'm old enough to die (I'm currently invincible for a few more years), hopefully the "growing organs" tech etc that I'm always hearing about becomes more efficient/viable. If I'm not old, then "**** YOUR CANOE!" ;-)
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 12:41 AM

actually, they CAN'T rip them from your cold dead body. The organ are useless then. They need to get them while you're still sorta kinda alive. Thus the reason organs are hard to come by. They have to be taken out at a very certain time and in a certain way.

Oh, plus, if you shot yourself in the head, theres probably a good chance that you're better off without your organs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 7, 2004, 01:50 AM

Everyone who read this thread should read Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It's a fascinating and humorous (yes, humorous!) read.

tooki

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
actually, they CAN'T rip them from your cold dead body. The organ are useless then. They need to get them while you're still sorta kinda alive. Thus the reason organs are hard to come by. They have to be taken out at a very certain time and in a certain way.

Oh, plus, if you shot yourself in the head, theres probably a good chance that you're better off without your organs.
Exactly... organ donation usually occurs when the patient has been declared brain dead, but the body is still functioning... either on its own or through life support.

If the person was truly dead (cardiac arrest) the vast majority, of not all, of the organs would useless. No circulation through the tissues will quickly result in hypoxia, cellular death, tissue ischemia, toxin build up, etc.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
nice!

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 06:09 AM

I can see it now

Fiend
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:

I can see it now
One of the best movies of all time!

Right. So can we have your liver then?

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 01:54 PM

You wouldn't believe the **** they try to pull in hospitals. When my dad was in a colma, they were trying to force my mom to sign papers to unplug him because they wanted his heart for some guy in the place.

Of course, hell would have had to freeze over before anybody gave up their organs for anyone in this house.
Aloha

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 02:39 PM

First off, what is a colma?

Secondly, and I am not referring to your father, but if a person is brain dead there really is no point in keeping them "alive" on life support. The one area health care in North America is still very poor on is letting people go. I see it often were a person is kept "alive" for the benefits of the family, meanwhile they are brain dead, in constant pain, have no quality of life, etc.

Organ donation is a wonderful thing. it has saved countless lives. As mentioned above, organs usually are not harvested from people who are truly dead (in cardiac arrest), but from people with no brain activity. Note I am not referring to people in coma who still show brain activity, but in people who have no brain activity. Why keep these people "alive"? It isn't for them. To be able to share their organs and give sight to one person, a functional kidney to another so they do not have to undergo 4 hours of dialysis each day, to give a heart to someone and allow them to see another 8 or 10 years with their grandchildren... these are noble things.

Once a person is in cardiac arrest, and tissue necrosis sets in, it is too late.

Cheers!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2004, 04:14 PM

I donate everything except my brain. I want that frozen just incase...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I donate everything except my brain. I want that frozen just incase...
Lord only knows how much it's an asset to the community and the world as a whole!

Forum Links
Forum Rules