Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software to use with a tablet.

Software to use with a tablet.
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 10:05 PM

Probably going to get a tablet usb to use with my mac soon, just wondering if there is any software that comes preloaded with my PB (10.3)

If not what woudl be a good program to use with the panel, it will mostly be for drawing images and such, maybe some editing if it get PS elements (if it is compatiable with that)

here is a link to the usb panel i may get: http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icecad.html
( Last edited by V12; Oct 6, 2004 at 12:17 AM. )

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 03:11 PM

ttt

please help

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:18 PM

my wacom came with a stripped down version of painter. which works fine for drawing and simple painting.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

tae667
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 06:42 PM

Alias Sketchbook is the killer app for tablets.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 07:20 PM

Corel Painter IX is about to be shipped. I use Painter 8 with my Wacom tablet and it's the best.

Take a look here for the specs on Corel Painter IX

http://www.corel.com/painterix/comingsoon/index.html
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 08:50 PM

those all seem like great programs but a little TOO expensive, especially for what i need it for. I basically would like it for drawing images and printing them, and also to use with PS elements(if thats possible).

should i also look at the wacom pad (i dont need the mouse or anything) instead of the ICECAD ?

thanks, i apprechiate all the reponses

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 09:10 PM

You'll be able to use Ink right out of the box.

Chris

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by V12:
those all seem like great programs but a little TOO expensive, especially for what i need it for. I basically would like it for drawing images and printing them, and also to use with PS elements(if thats possible).

should i also look at the wacom pad (i dont need the mouse or anything) instead of the ICECAD ?

thanks, i apprechiate all the reponses
The IceCad is tiny... less than the size of an A5 piece of paper (maybe 3/4 the length of that). If you want room to move go with a Wacom.
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 09:43 PM

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

It's called Eazy Draw and it's only 95 bucks.

http://www.eazydraw.com/

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 10:15 PM

yes that is a little better

what is this inkwell that apple offers

btw- i may go with the wacom graphite 3 (looks better and i believe it comes with some better software, only thing is i don't need that mouse that comes with it, just need the pen/pad.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by tae667:
Alias Sketchbook is the killer app for tablets.
Wow I didn't know it has been out for the mac. the last time I checked it was just windows

thanks for the link

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 11:46 PM

alias looks like a hot program but i just need sometihng basic, some sort of sketch, paint and work with on images.

looking to spend under $75 if i can

Forte
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 12:41 AM

Just checked the help for Photoshop Elements 2.0, and found this;

Photoshop Elements is compatible with most pressure-sensitive digitizing tablets, such as the Wacom� tablets. With a software control panel for your tablet installed, you can vary brush tool properties based on the chosen Pen Pressure brush and the amount of pressure you apply with your stylus.

To enable tablet support:

1. Select the brush tool in the toolbox.
2. In the options bar, click the More Options Brush tool button, and select Tablet Support.
3. Select the brushes pop-up palette, choose Pen Pressure Brushes from the Brushes pop-up menu, and then select a brush from the list.

Pen Pressure brush names that include the words opacity, scatter, or size change only that property when you apply more or less pressure to the pen. Other Pen Pressure brushes change several different properties.

Note: If the highest pressure of your stylus does not reach 100%, contact your tablet vendor. This problem is caused by the driver software, not Photoshop Elements.
HTH.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by V12:
what is this inkwell that apple offers
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/inkwell/

It's system-level handwriting recognition - it's supposed to be very good.
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules