Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Weight Training Vitamins

Weight Training Vitamins
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:27 AM

The last year i've been pretty big into weight training... but through the summer I was slacking and now i'm getting back into it and I feel great. II was wondering if you guys who train take any special vatamins? I started taking Chromium Picolinate, which was recommended by a friend...

any other suggetions?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 10:36 AM

Nah. I just make sure to eat a lot of complex carbs, and supplement it with normal multi-vitamins.

I haven't used the form of chromium you mentioned, but at least according to this site, there are no proven benefits from the picolinate form, and possibly harm to cells.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Nah. I just make sure to eat a lot of complex carbs, and supplement it with normal multi-vitamins.

I haven't used the mineral you mentioned, but at least according to this site, there are no proven benefits from it, and possibly harm to cells.
Yeah, I take multi-vitamins every morning too. I'm also trying to loose about 5 more pounds to try to get more diffinition... I heard that what the chromium will help with "May reduce body fat and produce lean muscle"... who knows though! I thought if it's a vatiamin it would have less chance of hurting me.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 03:22 PM

I take a high potency multi vitamin.

In Before rozwado1�

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I take a high potency multi vitamin.

Yeah, even a multi may be enough. But I have heard more negative things about chromium picolinate than positive ones. I never took it nor would I and I wouldn�t recommend it based on what I have heard. Chief among them being that it does not work and most concerning that it may raise the chances of getting cancer. I know warning labels were added by the feds overseas on it.
If you want to lose 5 more lbs then hit the treadmill or lakefront. Cut back on the carbs and make up those calories though added low fat protein, i.e. shakes. Do that for 6 weeks and if you are on something like creatin cycle off it so you lose the excess water retained from it. Then see if your muscle definition has improved.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
The last year i've been pretty big into weight training... but through the summer I was slacking and now i'm getting back into it and I feel great. II was wondering if you guys who train take any special vatamins?

Vitamins...no. A simple multi from GNC or the like will do just fine.

I started taking Chromium Picolinate, which was recommended by a friend...
any other suggetions?
Chromium Picolinate is kind of on the "warning list" for weight loss. I'd be weary of continuing its use - scientists have been trying to link it to cancer and other bad stuff. If you're trying to drop a few pounds make sure you're eating right, cardio, etc. Depending on your metabolism - if you can't lose weight and if you have an addictive personality, it may be reasonable to try out a cycle of Xenadrine or Hydroxycut. <did I just say that???>

Be careful though - I've seen people pop them like candy and have mood swings to match. And it's also a bad idea to drink when you take them. When I say "a cycle," I mean one bottle - they're easy to get hooked on mentally.

It's worth a shot if you haven't been losing it on your own, but the best way to do it is through your own motivation and not some bottle of pills.

If you want suggestions on supplements just post a little bit more about your story or email me. Nick

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
In Before rozwado1�
I've been slacking lately.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 05:32 PM

yeah, I guess I should stop taking it then.... Oh, I do run and stuff, starting to train for next years marathon already.

I just took it hoping for even more definition. I think you guys are mistaking, i'm not overweight at all...

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 05:58 PM

the gnc megaman 1000 rocks

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 09:02 PM

two things...

first, take plenty of protein (you need carbs to absorb 'em tho so none of that no carb bs)

and second

go in often and consistently.

for weight lifting, if you hit a plateau, change your workout. i used to do full sets of 8 reps, and i peaked at 2 plates (225lbs) after summer school .. i went back and i could only do a plate and a quarter on each side (185). doing my old method, i got back to 205lbs, but for the past month or month and a half, i've been doing a new workout (heavier weight, less reps, working up to seven sets. I am now up to 2plates and 15 (255) ... I see hitting 300lb on the bench within a few weeks .. probly up to 2 months. when u are motivated, you feel good and you go in more often. the secret ... stay motivated. your tool... ipod ..

ipod = manufactured motivation

WooT - happy gyming

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Without the iPod, I'd get bored at the gym in a hurry.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:28 PM

I worked it out with my gym owner so he lets me play my iPod from the stereo system while I work out. Pretty nice to not worry about headphones falling out while I lift. Luckily though, there's enough 'scenery' to keep me busy without the iPod.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I worked it out with my gym owner so he lets me play my iPod from the stereo system while I work out. Pretty nice to not worry about headphones falling out while I lift. Luckily though, there's enough 'scenery' to keep me busy without the iPod.

scenery = distraction = lag (to me) ... middle of the night is a great time to work, no distractions, no wait, no reason to lag. you are there to work out .. slacking off only harms you .. no one else (unless you are spotting .. in which case - you'd kill someone)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
That's nice of the owner. The owner of the gym I go to seems to like early 90's ballads a lot. Real motivating.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 11:54 PM

Really? The chicks in the tight sweaty clothes bending over a lot keep me entertained plenty.

Originally posted by Lancer409:
two things...

first, take plenty of protein (you need carbs to absorb 'em tho so none of that no carb bs)
and second
go in often and consistently.

for weight lifting, if you hit a plateau, change your workout. - snip -ipod ..
WooT - happy gyming
He seems to have the mass gaining phase down on his own, he wants to cut some fat pounds off to show definition.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
[B]Really? The chicks in the tight sweaty clothes bending over a lot keep me entertained plenty./B]
Entertained? Yes, but if I'm being that entertained, then I'm not focusing too well on the task before me - not 100% anyway. You may do both at the same time quite well. I'm afraid I don't. The iPod helps keep my mind occupied.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Really? The chicks in the tight sweaty clothes bending over a lot keep me entertained plenty.

He seems to have the mass gaining phase down on his own, he wants to cut some fat pounds off to show definition.

CARDIO yer ash off!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 12:13 AM

Entertained? Yes, but if I'm being that entertained, then I'm not focusing too well on the task before me - not 100% anyway. You may do both at the same time quite well. I'm afraid I don't.

bingo .. that's my problem ... and it sucks when guys are hogging the equiptment ... when u are on gym equiptment, use it! dont sit on it for half an hour eyeballing the ladies...

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 12:17 AM

Weight training vitamins? I have some guys at a place called Balco. I'll have them shoot you an email.

It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 01:04 AM

I do a pyramid... start lower and work up, then come back down. I work different muscles everyday though. And I run everyday to train for the marathon in a year now.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 03:26 AM

Since May I have lost a total of 50 lbs. The way I did it was through very strict diet only to start. I got very realistic with myself and told myself that I wasn't going to get in shape in a month or two months but was going to go on a multi-phased diet and exercise routine and then continue it for life.

Since May I constricted my carbs and calories to about 1200-1500 calories per day while carrying on my normal life. I took good care of myself by taking multi-vitamins and making sure that the food I was eaeting was balanced, not just empty calories. Like I never did "Well this Snickers is 400 Calories, it's going to be lunch today". I'm 6'0" and I went from 250 to 200.

As soon as I reached 200 (about a week ago), I began my weight training routine. I added more complex carbs into my diet and increased my caloric intake to about 1500-1800 calories per day. I created an excel spreadsheet that tracks my weight lifting with the cardio I do. I do three days of chest/arms and three days of legs/abs with a day of rest.

It's been a pretty realistic program with no definitive date in mind where I will be "done" because I feel it's an ongoing process. Wanna know what really motivated me? I don't want this to sound crude or stereotypical, but I was sick of looking around when I was at the mall or at a bar and just seeing overweight people and being one of those overweight people. "Fat Americans" as we're called. I was being gluttonous with the food that I ate. I was consuming way more than I actually needed and there was no reason for it. It's required a lot of self control but it has honestly paid off. I look physically better. I feel physically better and every aspect of my life has seen some sort of improvement since May which I feel is directly affected by my healthier lifestyle.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Since May I have lost a total of 50 lbs.

... I was sick of looking around when I was at the mall or at a bar and just seeing overweight people and being one of those overweight people. "Fat Americans" as we're called.
I was recently at a picnic after my cousin's soccer game and they only served pizza. A few of the dads were giving me **** because I wasn't eating the pizza and one even scoffed and said - "You don't like pizza? --Are you even American?"

He was huge by the way; they were all pretty big. I just thought that comment was ridiculous. (because he was serious) [/derail]

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:49 AM

How abut Flenstones ones. Those were always fun. I mean, who didn't like taking a bite out of Barney.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 08:11 PM

weight gain 4000

BEEEEEEFCAKE!!!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
How abut Flenstones ones. Those were always fun. I mean, who didn't like taking a bite out of Barney.
They always got smooshed into my molars. So I was tasting bits of flintstone vitamins throughout the day. Eventually it started tasting horrible as it just rotted in your teeth with early morning saliva.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 12:54 AM

The best thing ever for working out:

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 01:31 AM

When probing different people about this same topic today I got pretty much the same answers: Protein Supplements and Testosterone Supplements. Protein I can understand, but Testosterone? In large quantities doesn't that qualify as an illegal steroid? Can anyone fill me in on this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules