Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X question regarding network locations

OS X question regarding network locations
Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 07:43 PM

Good evening....quick question regarding networks switching. Is there a simple way to switch network locqations b esides going into sys pref. and clicking network etc..../ I switch twice or 3 times daily between home and school. At school, i have a wireless network setup inside my class and have to have proxye servers , etc...to access the internet. (NOT MY CHOICE!) At home, I use ethernet through a router to access the Internet. It would be really nice to have an icon on the dock that either fires up the network preference or actually changes the locations...kinda like a software "toggle switch."

Forgive me if this has been discussed...I searched several forums and found nothing specific. Thanks in advance!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 07:49 PM

Apple menu > Location > your location

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 07:51 PM

Gotta love OS X.

Hoops Coach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Apple menu > Location > your location
WOW...I feel like a real idiot....ok...so I have been discovered NOT to be a power user....

Thanks so much....

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 09:25 PM

If you selection the location as "Automatic", I seem to remember that OS X will determine the active connection and select it w/o any user intervention.

I remember taking my TiBook to work and it would automatically select the Ethernet port when I plugged in the network cable.

When I got home and opened the lid, the Airport network would be found and selected automatically.

I'm not sure if this still works with Panther, but it sure did a few OS X versions back.

mhodos
Oct 14, 2004, 05:56 PM

I switch network locations somewhat frequently, Automatic at home and at one office location, and other named locations at different offices with assigned IP addresses.

I use Quicksilver as my app launcher (among a million other things) and it will switch network locations for me with a few keystrokes.

Mike

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 07:15 PM

I travel frequently and have over a dozen locations set up for different cities. Unfortunately, they are dial up in hotels.

I am finding more and more however, that hotels are migrating to free ethernet and even wireless. (Airports too. Gotta love Pittsburgh!)

In that case I can just keep it on my Automatic setting and it finds the network just like it does at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules