Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Q4 Earnings posted

Apple Q4 Earnings posted
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 04:42 PM

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/oct/13results.html

Nice, though international sales are slipping - oh, the missed opportunities to make even more money.

J

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2004, 04:51 PM

This is great news. I was watching CNBC aminute ago and the guy was amazed "had to check the sheet twice....") Aftermarket trading has the price of AAPL at about 41$ pushing toward 42. Amazing performance of the iPod (2+ million sold) . I really feel that there will be a "halo" effect with the new iMac's considering these numbers. Look like a winner of a quarter....
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 04:56 PM

They posted it ALREADY ?

I thought they would wait till 5.00 pm for the stock exchanges to close...

-t

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 06:17 PM

Wow. 500% increase in iPod sales over the same quarter a year ago.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 06:55 PM

*hugs his AAPL stock*

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
*hugs his AAPL stock*

I got mine at $14.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 06:59 PM

*hugs his AAPL stock*

Agreed. It went up $1.46 today before the earnings report. I can't wait to see what it does tomorrow!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I got mine at $14.
Man...I came in at $33 ... but at least I'm up about $650 (only got 100 shares). Still pretty cool though.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 07:02 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

refresh my memory- what happened this time of year 2000? cube?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

refresh my memory- what happened this time of year 2000? cube?
Your saying the cube is that HUGE line down? If so, I had no idea the cube had that much negative influence on Apple. The cube, or whatever that decline was, looks like it almost ruined the company!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I got mine at $14.
Yep, got mine at around 13 (I'd have to look it up). I swore I'd sell if it tripled up (went to 40), but I feel I'd be damned stupid to do it now given all the momentum it's built up.

I wonder if Ca$h sold his? I remember him bitching about how it would never break 20.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
Your saying the cube is that HUGE line down? If so, I had no idea the cube had that much negative influence on Apple. The cube, or whatever that decline was, looks like it almost ruined the company!
no, i have no idea what did that. i was asking about the cube, because i the timing is about right (right?)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
no, i have no idea what did that. i was asking about the cube, because i the timing is about right (right?)

Oh. Well does anyone know what caused that huge decline? I'm curious now.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 07:30 PM

Bad Market, Overvalued stock, first time not posting a profit in a LONG time. (Mainly, because of the cube not meeting expectations)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 07:36 PM

wow, i was right. that was a HUGE spike in volume too. pretty nuts to look at.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 07:46 PM

Glad to finally see AAPL getting some action...for awhile, I thought it was only shooting blanks.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:00 PM

The tech bubble burst. Apple, being a tech company, was affected.

How young do you have to be to not know this?

Edit: I guess I should add that the earnings warnings didn't help:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000/sep/28q4.html
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000...q1results.html

I wonder if Ca$h sold his? I remember him bitching about how it would never break 20.
Yeah, he did.
( Last edited by dtriska; Oct 13, 2004 at 08:11 PM. )

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2004, 08:04 PM

I was there before the stock fell - the reason for this fall was based on the inventory backup. They released the cube (remember that?) and overpriced it. I think a top of the line cube G4 450 was near 2900$ - needless to say it was a flop - not that it was a bad computer but the fact that Apple was asking so much for it. Additionally, motorola was stuck at 500 Mhz for over a year and intel was pushing 1.2 Ghz. All these factors combined for back ups in inventory. Analysts paniced so did investors. The stock plummeted during the following quarterly review.

That was the famous SJ during the financial report saying "we dropped the ball". Glad were are out of those days.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 08:15 PM

The bubble popped. Tons of .com's were filing bankruptcy every day apple WAS majorly overvalued and the above mentioned reasons.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:

That was the famous SJ during the financial report saying "we dropped the ball". Glad were are out of those days.
any1 know where a copy of the quicktime of this is?

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 01:02 AM

Didn't Apple post profits along the lines of -$250 million that quarter? IIRC, that was a major factor.
Be happy.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 02:04 AM

I'm concerned about Apple's dependance on the iPod. I'd really like to see them increase their computer sales by quite a bit. I hope this new iMac is a major it!

Also, I hope to see Apple increase share versus Windows over the next couple of years. Am I dreaming on this?
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 07:14 AM

Sales were up overall by 6%, so Apple was selling more computers, though there were drops in emacs/imacs and Powermacs. The logjam was the G5 chips, hopefully now they are on their way to coming out in steady supply, and so numbers should be up more next quarter, which is good for Apple.
i look in your general direction

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:28 AM

If the chips start flowing better next quarter, what do you think the numbers will look like?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 09:44 AM

Apple's guidance for the current quarter's revenue is 2.8-2.9B. I wouldn't be shocked if it's 3.1-3.3B. I bet they'll sell every iPod produced.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 12:27 PM

I hope they get to 1 millions Macs shipped next quarter.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by pliny:

could very well happen. I just went to comp USA to pick up some stuff and I asked "where are the new iMacs on display?" -because I have yet to see one in person. He responded that all of the shipments they had gotten have already been sold- so the computer donsent even make it to the display model status. Not too much of a list on the seventeen inch model but a LONG list for the 20 inch. I thought that this was pretty good for apple- although I do think that the chip constraint (G5) also had something to do with the back log of orders also.

I still believe in the "halo effect " of the iPod craze.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 01:33 PM

So this would be akin to BMW reporting record profits resulting from sales of their new line of refrigerators?

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 01:41 PM

i have a friend here who has a small business selling apple computers etc. he told me from the roughly 200 products, apple is currently selling, 160 aren't available due to shipping shortages. among other things, he had to cancel 20 g5 powermac orders in the last couple of months.

WTF apple?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 01:41 PM

Yep, got mine at around 13 (I'd have to look it up). I swore I'd sell if it tripled up (went to 40), but I feel I'd be damned stupid to do it now given all the momentum it's built up.

Thats a good thing you didnt sell, because as of now (1:40 EST) the stock has gained $5.44 making the total price now $45.19 (and theres still a couple hours left on it).

I'm sitting here wondering what to do about this, if I should sell it or if it will continue to grow. I saw on the MacNN homepage that the target price is now $49 instead of $44. I'm having a realllll hard time making this decision? What are all the other shareholders planning to do?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 01:47 PM

sell. never let greed get in the way of making a guaranteed profit - now.

7-day Prediction:

Lots of shares being sold, price stabilizes, hopeful souls hold shares in an effort to glean more profit. Price declines, slowly at first...hopeful souls still expect rebound and hold shares. Stock price drops progressively faster, down to last year's levels. Hopeful souls bitch about never making money on Apple stock.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Oct 14, 2004 at 01:59 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 01:51 PM

Thats a good thing you didnt sell, because as of now (1:40 EST) the stock has gained $5.44 making the total price now $45.19 (and theres still a couple hours left on it).

I'm sitting here wondering what to do about this, if I should sell it or if it will continue to grow. I saw on the MacNN homepage that the target price is now $49 instead of $44. I'm having a realllll hard time making this decision? What are all the other shareholders planning to do?
I'm sitting on it now, but I bought with a mid/long range investment in mind... it just didn't take as long to crest 40 as I'd thought it would. Did you have a target sell price in mind when you bought it?
- Thomas Paine

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 02:56 PM

dude, i bought it thinking i would sell at 25... then 30... then 40..... now.... I don't know

$135

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 03:22 PM

I got 10 shares as a gift when I turned 17... they were bought at 17.10/share

Think I'll hold on to them...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ambush
Banned
Oct 14, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
i have a friend here who has a small business selling apple computers etc. he told me from the roughly 200 products, apple is currently selling, 160 aren't available due to shipping shortages. among other things, he had to cancel 20 g5 powermac orders in the last couple of months.

WTF apple?
one of the best known apple dealer here (B.Mac) had to close its doors because they had NOTHING i repeat NOTHING to sell.

hayesk
Oct 14, 2004, 09:59 PM

edit
( Last edited by hayesk; Dec 3, 2016 at 06:43 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Oct 14, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I don't know about Quebec, but B.Mac in Ottawa closed because they had a huge retail space that they filled with sofas and a pool table. I dunno, I would have put products there. They had almost all of the Apple products in stock, but not third party software, hardware etc.

They had a lot of stuff when they first opened, but then it slowly dwindled to nothing.
I got insider info. My boss told me the reason they had to close is Apple not giving computers.

I worked this summer for a retailer, they had 3 G5s in stock and they were already all sold...

apple international is such a big joke.

oh and they have a profit margin of like 1% or less.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 14, 2004, 10:08 PM

Two Mac places here in Toronto majorly expanded their stores relatively recently.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
I got insider info. My boss told me the reason they had to close is Apple not giving computers.

I worked this summer for a retailer, they had 3 G5s in stock and they were already all sold...

apple international is such a big joke.

oh and they have a profit margin of like 1% or less.
Oh bull. I co-own a store that sells Apple and I know how much they make. No, it's not a huge margin, but I do know it's 8-20% (8% on an eMac and almost 20% on Xserves and Xserve RAIDs). Add in 3rd party RAM and a few accessories and you can easily get 15-25% margins on ANY Mac. And we don't sell a huge amount of systems, maybe 10-15 /wk.

Furthermore, the only things that are coming in slowly are iPod minis, iMac G5s (the low and high models specifically) and the 2.5 G5. Everything else has <1 wk ship times.

Apple Int'l may be a bit slower and may not offer quite as much margin as domestic Apple, but I don't believe it's as bad as you say.
- Thomas Paine

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 01:47 AM

I remember when Apple's stocks were valued at $13 and everybody was saying how absurd that was because Apple had 4 billion in cash, and the stock matched that value. That was SO obvious at the time. It's amazing it took that long to figure it out.

Although, BTW, before I try to come across as Mr. Smart Ass investor, I never thought Apple would get all of the way up to $49 and SO quickly. It's possible Apple MAY have hit two home runs in a row. It's too early to tell, but the iMac may very well be that second home run. I think that is what investors have in the back of their minds when these high bids.

I remember reading about a year ago, that Microsoft was predicting a higher transition to Apple computers during their transition to Longhorn (this was investor relations). I wonder if these next two years will be a temporary wave in which Apple gains some market share, only to fall off when Longhorn is released.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

RGB
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 04:08 AM

Damn I really wish I woulda bought early in the summer when the stock plummeted. I knew at that point it wouldn't go any lower than that for a lonnng time (I think it was either when they announced no iMacs for a few months, or when Steve left temporarily).

Oh well.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 04:58 AM

There's a couple of good articles from the Register looking at this:

Apple results best for nine years
Apple profits leap as iPod sales rocket

It's interesting to note that during the Fiscal Year 2004, Apple shipped 4.42m iPods, but the total iPods shipped is now 5.74m. That means that 77% of all iPods ever sold have been sold in the last 12 months. I find that amazing! iPod has gathered a massive amount of momentum in the last 12 months.

It's also interesting, that Apple sold 876,000 Macs in Q3, which fell to 836,000 in Q4. If you think that for nearly 2 and a half months of the quarter, Apple weren't shipping iMacs, a drop of less than 5% in total mac sales is pretty impressive. (Obviously it would have been better if they had been shipping iMacs, and there'd been an increase rather than a drop in sales, but they still seem to have made the best of a bad situation).
12" Rev B PB

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2004, 04:58 AM

Oh bull.
..snip..
Thanks. Those posts sounded like FUD.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
heh heh. they got 1,046,000.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
The tech bubble burst. Apple, being a tech company, was affected.

How young do you have to be to not know this?

Edit: I guess I should add that the earnings warnings didn't help:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000/sep/28q4.html
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2000...q1results.html
In addition to that, Apple was valued at nearly $100 at the height of the dot.com boom. The stock split. Then we saw insider selling, cube launch, losses, and the tech bubble burst. I too am concerned about Apple's reliance on the iPod. Besides, AAPL is quite inflated right now. I recommend setting your stop loss orders. Eventually iPods will saturate the market, the craze will die down and Apple will steadily lose momentum until coming back to rest around $30. Then we'll wait a few more years for the next insanely great thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 06:59 PM

Why have PowerMac sales been so mediocre? Are they overpriced? Are laptops and the iMac "good enough" for most people?

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I I too am concerned about Apple's reliance on the iPod.
Heh heh, why?? Look at Microsoft, they have ridden two products, Office and Windows, for EVER.

Forum Links
Forum Rules