Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Look in DVD Player's Prefs!

Look in DVD Player's Prefs!
timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2001, 11:41 AM

and tell everyone what you see!

<cc>
Sep 9, 2001, 11:59 AM

What do you mean?

PowerBookDude
Sep 9, 2001, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by &lt;cc&gt;:
<STRONG>What do you mean? </STRONG>
I think he wants to know what are the prefs for the DVD player in 10.1.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 12:58 PM

This is the second time someone has alluded to a special "something" in the DVD prefs. The first time IIRC was in the context of a thread about the son of XBox -- the digital hub PC thing from MS.

<End user>
Sep 9, 2001, 01:04 PM

I think there is somthing more we are expected to see...

This was posted in anouther thread...
Wish I could say something about Apples DVD player in defense [look in prefs]..Oh well - you will see soon enough.
by an unregistered user...&lt;spy&gt;

here is the thread..

But I dont see anything that would cause such comments....

&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;
&lt;!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd"&gt;
&lt;plist version="0.9"&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AudioLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;** &lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AutoPlay&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AutoPresentationMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ControllerType&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;1&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayControllerHelp&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayDolbyLineMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayStatusWindow&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DolbyLineMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;HorControllerVisible&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;HorControllerWindowPosition (h,v)&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;250 536&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;HorControllerWindowSize (h,v)&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;279 99&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;InactiveControllerTimeOut&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;10&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;MenuLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;key&gt;PrefsVersion&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;1&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;PresHideInactiveController&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;SubTitleLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ViewerVisible&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ViewerWindowPosition (h,v)&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;0 49&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;/plist&gt;

That is from 5g27

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2001, 01:08 PM

Maybe he means look in the prefs dialogue box, under the app menu.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
<STRONG>Maybe he means look in the prefs dialogue box, under the app menu.

Amorya</STRONG>

I see nothing unexpected in there ether... (in 5g27) Any one with a newer build want to take a look and see what this is all about???
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2001, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:
<STRONG>

I see nothing unexpected in there ether... (in 5g27) Any one with a newer build want to take a look and see what this is all about??? </STRONG>
I think they're alluding to 5G40 or later (at least, that's how it seems to me). I don't have that build, but I know someone who does (legally). If I can get ahold of 'em, I'll see about getting a dump of the prefs file.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

SYN
Senior User
Sep 9, 2001, 03:05 PM

On the same page, spy posted this url. It's a list of Apple held Trademarks.

didn't know what that meant. So i did a search on DVD... Well there seems to be some interesting stuff going on...

what would DVD@CCESS TM be??? It says it's a software feature... Wonder what it could be... Streaming movies?

Odd.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2001, 03:08 PM

Okay -- I contacted a developer friend who has been seeded 5G48. Here's what was in the DVD Prefs file:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> &lt;?xml version=<font color = red>"<font color = blue>1.0</font>"</font> encoding=<font color = red>"UTF-<font color = blue>8</font>"</font>?&gt;
&lt;!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM <font color = red>"file:<font color = brown>//localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd"</font>&gt;</font>
&lt;plist version=<font color = red>"<font color = blue>0.9</font>"</font>&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AudioLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AudioVolume&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>180</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AutoPlay&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;AutoPresentationMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ControllerType&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>1</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DefaultScanRate&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>4</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayControllerHelp&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayDolbyLineMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DisplayStatusWindow&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;DolbyLineMode&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;HorControllerWindowPosition (h,v)&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;<font color = blue>0</font> <font color = blue>653</font>&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;InactiveControllerTimeOut&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>10</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;MenuLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;key&gt;PrefsVersion&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>1</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;PresDefaultViewer&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;integer&gt;<font color = blue>3</font>&lt;/integer&gt;
&lt;key&gt;PresHideInactiveController&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ResizeFullScreenViewer&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;true/&gt;
&lt;key&gt;SSPD&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;data&gt;
Rk9STQAAABREVkRDRFZEUgAAAAxDJBI0AAAAAAAAAAU=
&lt;/data&gt;
&lt;key&gt;SubTitleLanguage&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;key&gt;ViewerWindowPosition (h,v)&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;<font color = blue>15</font> <font color = blue>374</font>&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;WebAccess&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;false/&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;/plist&gt; </font>[/code]

Nothing too special in there to me, but maybe someone else sees something noteworthy. The only thing that's interesting is that SSPD line, but I have no clue what it means.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

<smurof>
Sep 9, 2001, 03:22 PM

looking in the dvd player prefs and compairing it to that of 2.7's prefs, the only difference I see is the ability to have the player have on screen display. Example, when you tell the player to play, a box appears on the screen saying play. the same for stop and forward and menu and such..

DVD@CCESS is something that exists in the 2.7 version of the player. it makes it so if there is a web link on the dvd it will connect it to the browser, and load the web site.

<ED>
Sep 9, 2001, 03:32 PM

maybe the key here is (like the Unreal Tournament ini file) you can customize the DVD player via the prefs file or am I way off?

thought maybe that'd be a different view to the prefs file - rather than looking for something subtle or small and specific is the 'answer' the file as a whole?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 03:37 PM

What is Dolby Line Mode?

-ratlater

Jamie
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2001, 03:49 PM

On DVD@CCESS:

"DVD@ccess, a component of Apple's new DVD Studio Pro that embeds Web links into a DVD title, automatically launching a browser when the user clicks one. The functionality is limited, but it does offer cross-platform compatibility between PCs and Macs"

Source: dvdcreation.com

J

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 03:50 PM

Can you use your computer as your home DVD player, hook it up to your TV? Is that even a big deal?

Workers Comp Wampa
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2001, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<STRONG>Can you use your computer as your home DVD player, hook it up to your TV? Is that even a big deal?</STRONG>
No.

"Braaaaaaaawwww!"

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2001, 04:28 PM

why not?

what's stopping it from working? no TV-out on the vid card?
*empty space*

vasu
Senior User
Sep 9, 2001, 04:53 PM

maybe he meant "no, it's not a big deal", because it's very possible to use your computer (mainly laptops) to watch a dvd on a tv

-vasu

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2001, 05:03 PM

Uh, Wampa, my PowerBook G3 (FireWire) *IS* my home DVD player.

S-video on the back, you know?

Maybe you meant that you can't hook it up from say a G4 tower out of the box...

As for the prefs, the only thing I see of interest is the SSPD key, which I seem to recall having something to do with the licensing of a DVD player. Hmmm. (Something Something Public Data?)

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
<STRONG>maybe he meant "no, it's not a big deal", because it's very possible to use your computer (mainly laptops) to watch a dvd on a tv

-vasu</STRONG>
Thank you

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2001, 09:41 PM

So... is that SSPD line supposed to be the CSS decryption key or something?

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2001, 10:28 PM

What is Dolby Line Mode?
This is the ability to output the Dolby (Stereo or Digital) encoded sound out through the audio line out so you can play it through a stereo system/receiver.
The main question though is if it will be Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic. The Mac OS 9.x player outputs Dolby Pro Logic which is stereo positioned sound. It would be great if the OS X player lived up to DVDs potential by outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound.

<chadseld>
Sep 9, 2001, 11:55 PM

Could it be this?

&lt;key&gt;WebAccess&lt;/key&gt; &lt;false/&gt;

What the hell is that?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2001, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
<STRONG>
It would be great if the OS X player lived up to DVDs potential by outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound.</STRONG>
Wouldn't we need to have a digital output (SPDIF) somewhere on our Macs to be able to output 5.1 sound? If that's the case: no surround for you until Apple in its infinite wisdom chooses to add this 5-cents-bit of equipment - just don't hold your breath for it: they seem to prefer removing stuff lately.
It's depressing sometimes how far the Mac lags behing PeeCees in certain areas... I can still hear St. Steve blathering about "digital hub" and "best-of-breed DVD playback"...

MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2001, 07:43 AM

What on Earth is this all about? What's in the DVD prefs that's so exciting? Did the original poster know something we don't or was he just speculating?

Also: Why are these boards so sloooow and has anyone ever noticed that everything written on them is Copyright &copy; 1999-2001 MacNN. All rights reserved?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2001, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
<STRONG>
Wouldn't we need to have a digital output (SPDIF) somewhere on our Macs to be able to output 5.1 sound? If that's the case: no surround for you until Apple in its infinite wisdom chooses to add this 5-cents-bit of equipment - just don't hold your breath for it: they seem to prefer removing stuff lately.
It's depressing sometimes how far the Mac lags behing PeeCees in certain areas... I can still hear St. Steve blathering about "digital hub" and "best-of-breed DVD playback"...</STRONG>
Strange...I've never seen a PeeCee that had an SPDIF jack that wasn't user-installed (read: add-on sound card)...mind you, I'd have had a *lot* less trouble with an acoustics experiment I'm doing if my iMac came with SPDIF...I'd really like a jack...but still...I don't follow your reasoning.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2001, 08:09 AM

You can ouput 5.1 down a stereo lead as I have a creative 3500 and it has a 5.1 input on a stereo jack lead to it is possible... As far as I know... after all its just a digital signal...

Naplander
Senior User
Sep 10, 2001, 12:20 PM

Okay, I'll bite.........

Would some one please tell us what this is all about!

Yours in sanity

Nap
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>
Strange...I've never seen a PeeCee that had an SPDIF jack that wasn't user-installed (read: add-on sound card) [cut]..but still...I don't follow your reasoning.</STRONG>
Well, at least they (the PeeCee folks) have the option of adding a 5.1-capable soundcard. We don't -- as far as I'm aware of, anyway.This is especially galling now that Apple's finally catched up to Windows in DVD player performance, from what I read around here. One little step at a time, I guess...

hmpff
Sep 10, 2001, 04:37 PM

This is especially galling now that Apple's finally catched up to Windows in DVD player performance, from what I read around here. One little step at a time, I guess...
Or, another way to say this is :
It'll never be good enough for some people

<Mac The Fork>
Sep 10, 2001, 10:43 PM

This is especially galling now that Apple's finally catched up to Windows in DVD player performance, from what I read around here. One little step at a time, I guess...
Actually, I'm positive it means this:

I expect the Apple DVD player to perform as well as the Windows one. Now it does, and I'm glad for that; but I believe we still aren't to where we should be - ideally - to present the platform as a superior alternative for digital media playback, backing up Apple's push to be the digital hub. There's a long road ahead, but if we go fast enough, we'll get to run over Bill Gates! Keep up the good work, Apple.

Isn't it fun to fool with others' words?

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>You can ouput 5.1 down a stereo lead as I have a creative 3500 and it has a 5.1 input on a stereo jack lead to it is possible... As far as I know... after all its just a digital signal...</STRONG>
That stereo jack is not just a normal stereo jack. Yes, it's an RCA plug but sending an spdif consumer digital signal. The other way of sending one is through an optical connection.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
<STRONG>
Optimists see the glass as half full. Pessimists see the glass as half empty.
Engineers see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
</STRONG>
Designers see a really ugly glass that's like, so 90's, man.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2001, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by workerbee:
<STRONG>
Well, at least they (the PeeCee folks) have the option of adding a 5.1-capable soundcard. We don't -- as far as I'm aware of, anyway.This is especially galling now that Apple's finally catched up to Windows in DVD player performance, from what I read around here. One little step at a time, I guess...</STRONG>
What's the point in investing $$$ in a 5.1 soundcard and fancy speakers - only to sit in the same room as beige box full of noisy fans ? Oh - and watch the movie on a 17" non-widescreen monitor ?? I think this fairly describes DVD on most PCs.

Computer DVD is a 'nice to have' - but if you're serious enough about your DVD to bother getting a 5.1 soundcard, then you're much better off just buying a widescreen TV, DVD player and Dolby Digital decoder.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

What's the point in investing $$$ in a 5.1 soundcard and fancy speakers - only to sit in the same room as beige box full of noisy fans ? Oh - and watch the movie on a 17" non-widescreen monitor ?? I think this fairly describes DVD on most PCs.

Computer DVD is a 'nice to have' - but if you're serious enough about your DVD to bother getting a 5.1 soundcard, then you're much better off just buying a widescreen TV, DVD player and Dolby Digital decoder.</STRONG>
I'm just about to spend something like $3000 on a video beamer (Sony vpl-cx2 or Philips UGO X-lite), and from all I read, in this price class the image coming from a video source is cr*p, whereas DVD played on a PC, or in my case, Mac, is brilliant. So ideal setup would be: Mac -&gt; VGA -&gt; Beamer and Mac -&gt; 5.1 SPDIF -&gt; A/V Receiver. There are other video beamers for certain, but I'm slightly unwilling to spend $5000+.
Sure I can just hook up with my Stereo, but without a centre speaker language is kinda hard to understand sometimes, and also a bit of a waste considering the resources that go into sound engineering on modern DVDs.

It'll never be good enough for some people
It'll be good enough when it is as good as it's been for years on Windoze. Or better.
I feel I'm entitled to expect this, because of all the "better" and "more elegant" along with the "best-of-breed" and the "hub of the digital world" we've been hearing and reading about, and paying for, too.
Is it asked too much of Apple to measure up to cheapo windoze boxes?

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: workerbee ]

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 06:41 AM

This of course might be the solution... I could even use my PowerBook to play DVDs... ohhh... drool

marca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2001, 07:22 PM

The cryptic "Rk9STQAAABREVkRDRFZEUgAAAAxDJBI0AAAAAAAAAAU=" in the pref XML file means : "FORM DVD CDVDRC4"

It's Base64 encoded and thus quite simple to decode.

Well, it doesn't help much but i tought that some of you may like.

-- marca

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2001, 09:30 PM

Ok, but waht was the purpose of this post? What the hell is in the prefs??
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

saltines17
Senior User
Sep 12, 2001, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Ok, but waht was the purpose of this post? What the hell is in the prefs??</STRONG>
I second that...

!!!

Maybe it's a secret movie of Clarus the Dogcow!!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2001, 12:32 AM

You guys are thinking too hard...

Maybe someone was interested in whats in the prefs!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2001, 01:21 AM

You guys are thinking too hard...Maybe someone was interested in whats in the prefs!
No, "Look in DVD Player's Pref's!" then his sentence of "tell everyone...!"

Notice, 2 exclamation marks, and no real questions. This is an excited statement. I think you need to re-think the topic and post and join us in asking-

What's in the frickin prefs!?!?!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<thisIsWhereMyNameWouldBe>
Sep 13, 2001, 01:23 AM

Only thing I notice that I wasn't expecting is that there's no region selection.

Is it automatic? Or is it regionless?

Regionless would be quite a bonus.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by marca:
<STRONG>The cryptic "Rk9STQAAABREVkRDRFZEUgAAAAxDJBI0AAAAAAAAAAU=" in the pref XML file means : "FORM DVD CDVDRC4"

It's Base64 encoded and thus quite simple to decode.

Well, it doesn't help much but i tought that some of you may like.

-- marca</STRONG>
Interesting....

CDVDRC4 could that be 'region code 4'? As in " New Zealand has been designated Region Code 4, (incorporating Australia and South America), and thus all DVD products that we are able to offer for sale on this site are Region Code 4 (RC4)."

If the person who posted this could confirm if his 'developer friend' was from NZ it sure would help.

D

<BillBuckley>
Sep 13, 2001, 11:28 AM

Interesting....

CDVDRC4 could that be 'region code 4'? As in " New Zealand has been designated Region Code 4, (incorporating Australia and South America), and thus all DVD products that we are able to offer for sale on this site are Region Code 4 (RC4)."

If the person who posted this could confirm if his 'developer friend' was from NZ it sure would help.
Nope. It's the same, character for character, as a US install. I'm looking at it right now.

My money is on the region free: perhaps some of the stink between Apple and the MPAA came from an Apple insistance that Region Codes were ridiculous to enforce on migrating hardware, i.e. Powerbooks, etc.

Bill

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by &lt;BillBuckley&gt;:
<STRONG>My money is on the region free: perhaps some of the stink between Apple and the MPAA came from an Apple insistance that Region Codes were ridiculous to enforce on migrating hardware, i.e. Powerbooks, etc.</STRONG>
Well, wouldn't the *software's* being region-free be fairly irrelevant anyway if the region is in fact selected in the DVD-players' firmware...?

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>

Well, wouldn't the *software's* being region-free be fairly irrelevant anyway if the region is in fact selected in the DVD-players' firmware...?</STRONG>
Yep, it's the DVD drive that allows only five region switches and not the software.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules