Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > ibook gaming

ibook gaming
Minch_Yoda
Oct 17, 2004, 09:05 PM

my school is lending me a ibook for work which id use it for but id be lying if i said i wouldn't play a game or two on it at times but what games could it run?
and could any new or relatively new games play if i put low settings or that (give examples please)
a friend of mine was loaned one and the specs are 800mhz g3 16mb gfx card 256megs of ram and a 30gb hd
i wont get mine tell Wednesday most likely but i assume the specs are the same cause they came from he same place ect.

az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2004, 11:31 PM

Like old games? Plenty of great emulators are available that would run fine on your machine. I use the following:

MacMAME - Arcade (Metal Slug series OWNS)
NEStopia - NES
SNES9X - SNES
Generator - Genesis
minivmac - Old Mac (system 6/7), gotta love Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle
DOSBox - MS DOS emu, can play old DOS games like XCOM and Duke Nukem

I'd think that new games would run okay so long as they're not 3D intensive - like most FPS games, unfortunately. I can vouch that Civ III runs like a dream.

Matthew

Aramas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 03:49 AM

Yep - Civ III runs perfectly on my iBook G4 800, and by installing from a disk image the CD is not required to play (very important to me). If rpg's are your thing then any of the Black Isle and BioWare games will be ok. Fallout 2 also runs on OSX, and it's right up there as one of the best games ever made. Anything by Blizzard will work well. Adventure games also tend to be easy on system requirements.

Your main bottleneck will be the old radeon video card. As far as FPS games go, I wouldn't expect anything more recent than Quake 3 and it's derivatives to be playable. I could be wrong though

Minch_Yoda  (op)
Oct 20, 2004, 09:02 AM

i looked at another game thats fun on my friends gamecube and its on the mac
Worms3d and the system requirements are
*Mac OS 10.2
*PowerPC G3/G4 600 Mhz
*256 Mb RAM
*Hardware accelerated 3D Graphics Card with 32 Mb VRAM
*DVD Drive
*1.3 Gb free hard disk space
*Mouse and Keyboard
*QuickTime 6
well will it run on low quality with 16mb vram ?
i ask this cause on my home comp a imac dv se its 500mhz G3 8mb vram and runs maxpayne at around 30fps on low and RTCW runs good to
both meet the imacs requirements except the vram because they require 16mb vram well i was wondering if this was the case with new games its half the vram like with my imac with those old games so would i have a similar experience or would it be a over rated slide show?
and if anyone has any other info/experiences running new games that require 32mb of vram or something like that on old hardware like with 16mb ect. it will be appreciated

Minch_Yoda  (op)
Oct 21, 2004, 12:23 AM

can anyone else help?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 12:35 AM

Black & White should run just fine. I paid $25 locally for the platinum pack that includes Creature Isle.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Black & White should run just fine. I paid $25 locally for the platinum pack that includes Creature Isle.
Great minds think alike! I bought the same deal, but online, I think I paid about the same money. I would say, though, that it may be a bit choppy on an iBook. My Rev C 12" PowerBook (1.33GHz/Go5200-64mb/1.25gb ram runs it a bit choppy unless the detail settings are cranked all the way down. But to me, games like Black & White (and the PS2 GTA series) are less about the eye candy and more about the "brain candy" - the sheer size of the environment you're given, and the level of interactivity you get... Makes it all worth while.

Matthew

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:18 AM

It'll run old games fine, but don't expect it to play the "heavier" games that decently. For example, Diablo II, Neverwinter Nights, Halo, Return to Wolfenstein, and whatnot will stress it (gameplay will not be fluid).

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 06:07 AM

Are you sure it only has a 16mb video card? My friend has a iBook 800mhz G3 12" and it has a 32mb ATi Radeon 7500.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:30 AM

Most games should run fine. My 466 G4 Tower with a GeForce 2 ran tons of great games which are still great games today. Alice, Oni, Fallout 1&2, lots of FPSs, emulators. Goo stuff.

Bookie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 10:37 AM

It should run everything my 600 iMac can with a worse video card, which is a lot.

OS X games I've tried at least a demo of, if not the full version:

Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft

RTCW, Jedi Knight 2, Undying, Medal of Honor, 4x4 Evo 2, Alice, Sims, Tiger Woods, SWGB, THPS2, Harry Potter 1 & 2, Ottomatic, Star Trek Elite Force, Ghost Recon, Zoo Tycoon.

Age of Empires 2, Tropico, Max Payne, Neverwinter Nights, Civilization 3, Stronghold, Myth 3, Age of Mythology, Dungeon Siege, Master of Orion 3.

Fallout 1 & 2, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2, NOLF, Giants, Freedom Force, Alien vs. Predator, Heretic 2, Another War.

Black and White, Ghost Master, Red Faction, F1 2000,

Pretty much any OS 9 game would work if you boot into 9.

There's a lot of game in that iBook, as long as you steer clear of the newer games, many of which want a G4 minimum.
Don't blame me - I voted Democrat

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:39 AM

G3 iBook 900mhz, 640 Ram
plays:
*halo on medium settings across the board
*diablo 2 at max resolution and max settings
*quake 3 at max settings
*warcraft 3 at medium settings
*starcraft
*MOA at medium settings
*Age Of Mythology at max settings

i have a g5 as well which i use for my main gaming system, but my iBook is a nice "toy" at school and for lan partys etc

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 12:55 AM

I'll second Jedi Knight II! It ran alright on my old G3 iBook 600 with 8 MB ATi Rage Mobility 128. It should run alright on your setup.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules