Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Scion TC, opinions?

Scion TC, opinions?
greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 08:45 AM

I got accepted into an art school for next yr, and am going to be making an 80 mile commute one way starting this Jan. My current vehicle is fairly new, but gets horrible gas mileage. So I'm tumbling inside my head the idea of getting something more practical for commute which could last several more years.

Anyway...

I've been looking at the Scion TC, as they seem to be a nice balance between style and affordability. Any opinions/experiences with this car?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2004, 09:34 AM

I say go for it. Made by Toyota, and pretty nice looking car. Looks like a little Infiniti G35. Sorta.
ice

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2004, 10:00 AM

As long as you intend to only commute, then the TC is fine. If you plan on actually moving, though, I'd suggest the xA or xB.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 11:38 PM

I already miss Ca$h's insight on cars. Not Really.

Personally, I think the tC is a great buy for a commuter who needs good MPG, good realiability, nice looks, nice accessories, and is backed by the most reliable car manufacturer in the world.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
As long as you intend to only commute, then the TC is fine. If you plan on actually moving sloowwly, though, I'd suggest the xA or xB.

fixed�
ice

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 12:36 AM

temple city represent!

oh.. you're talking about the car?

i like the tC, and I think TRD is/has already come out with TRD parts for all the Scions. As a commuter, you can't go wrong with any type of Toyota. Scion's are no exception.
iamwhor3hay

Vi0
Baninated
Oct 23, 2004, 12:43 AM

Are you nuts? a Scion? That plastic box on wheels? Anything that isn't German or American is total crap.

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 23, 2004, 12:55 AM

Have you look into a Ford Focus or a Pontiac Vibe?

milhous
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 02:27 AM

friend of mine just bought a tc and loves it. he took me for a ride today and it's quite decent. you're getting toyota quality so you really can't lose. don't know why he picked a white tc though.

if you want serious gas mileage, get a prius (which is probably next to impossible due to the backorders) or get a diesel like any VW TDI model.
F = ma

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Anything that isn't German or American is total crap.
Said the ignorant one.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Are you nuts? a Scion? That plastic box on wheels? Anything that isn't German or American is total crap.
plastic- lets talk about saturns and neons. ill take a Japanese car over anything (ANYTHING) american any day of the week.

<posted because i want to see page three on this thread>

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2004, 12:09 AM

my dad and I were talking about the tC as well. I saw a couple on the street. It's not a bad coupe...you got everything at $17k. I talked to the dealer just last week although I didn't test drive the tC. I shall wait wait for the '06 model..

Have u checked the '05 Nissan Altima? As for an I-4 engine, I think it's the best one out there.... more room as well.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 01:46 AM

Have you looked at Mazda 3 for comparison or are you looking for a coupe? Not exactly my market, but I hear the tc is a steal at $17K.
I, ASIMO.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
fixed�
It's true that you can't expect to move a whole house in a Scion, but he's talking about college, which probably means a dorm at first. You can easily fit that much in one of those things. In fact, I think they designed the things with that specific scenario in mind (they are trying to target the college-age crowd, after all).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2004, 02:50 PM

If that was my price range I'd look at the tC and the Mazda 3. I lean a little more towards the 3 but you can't go wrong with either one.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 02:57 PM

Just an update guys...

After much thought we decided that something like the TC just wouldn't be entirely practical for us at the moment. Since I would be commuting about 150 miles a day, 3 days a week, we thought it best to focus more on a car with great gas mileage.

So, we finally settled on a 2005 Toyota Corolla S. Decent options, nice look, 40+mpg hwy mpg, and a decent price tag. Sticker was 17.5, we got it for 16.5. The great gas mileage comes at the expense of horse power, but that's life I s'pose. Anyway, pics.

Nothing extremely fancy, but should suit our needs fairly well.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 03:16 PM

Augh! ... Corolla S ...

i woulda recommended a regular Corolla ... or a Hybrid .. (torque and gas mileage) .. but that's just me. the Corolla S ... well .. it's the "s" that bothers me .. but what does it matter. it DOES have great gas mileage and it's a pretty reliable car. Congratz!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 03:47 PM

Too bad you got an automatic gearbox.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 03:56 PM

80's rabbit diesel

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 04:29 PM

a Corolla.. that's my dad's favorite in his mind.. but he didn't actually buy one. Anyway, a Corolla may work for ya.. although it's not my cup of tea. Ever since I watched the Corolla XRS TV ad during the Summer.. I laughed about it everytime I saw that ad.

I'm sure the '05 model is closed to perfect.. for the Corolla line-up. well.. Good Luck and have 'fun'.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 05:47 PM

tc seems to be a good buy, but check it out in person. I liked the photos but was rather repulsed by it in person. I just bought a Cooper S. great car.

good luck with your decision. its not easy, and there is more than 1 good solution, always.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 06:48 PM

Nobody likes my tricked out econo-car

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 07:27 PM

I like your car a lot. In fact I looked at those when I last bought a car. I wanted a manual transmission though, I ended up with a 2003 Mazda Protege5. We both have tricked out economy cars. You made a very sensible choice, you will be happy with it.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 10:28 AM

get spinners then we will talk.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
And a coffee can exhaust.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Spinners? like on my nipples?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Nobody likes my tricked out econo-car

teh reason why i'm not feelin the love is because it's not too performance oriented even though it wears an "S" badge. it shouldnt matter really, it's great for economy and commuting. I just feel that, if you're going to trick out an econo car .. go all the way!

See: Mitsubishi Evolution (Especially the FQ 400) *linky* http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...II-FQ-400.htm, Subaru STi, Neon SRT-4, Type R (lesser extent)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 01:22 AM

I just bought one and I love it so far. My first "Japanese" car. Of course, there is no such thing anymore.

I have only owned trucks, and I got this car because I commute and the gas mileage here in SoCal is important with the gas prices. Of course that was not the only reason I got it. It looks cool, has plenty of room, comes with the most standard equipment of any car in its class and price. I figure with a Camry engine it should run for a long time.

I was also tempted by the Mazda 6 but I don't need or want 4 doors. I wish they made a two door version. Also considered the Mini but it is too small for me.

Anybody interested in this car, the "tC" it is called, should consider ordering it the way they want it. This is because of the no-haggle price and the fact that dealers don't make much profit on the car. What they do is the minute the car arrives at the dealer they send it out to a local shop and have leather seats and chrome wheels added. They then add $4000 to the sticker, which of course they only spent probably $2000. Instant $2000 profit on something that most people did not come to the Scion dealer for! Bastards!

So I wrote them a check for $100 to "order" a car the way I wanted it, and when it arrived, they called me, I came down, and bought it.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
teh reason why i'm not feelin the love is because it's not too performance oriented even though it wears an "S" badge.
If you have $3000 laying around for a S/C, you can almost have a XRS-like ride under the hood (166 bhp with S/C vs the XRS' 170 bhp stock). You can't do the same for the XRS, since the 2ZZ engine already has a high compression ratio.

Forum Links
Forum Rules