Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How quiet can I get this QuickSilver?

How quiet can I get this QuickSilver?
booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 08:12 PM

OK. so I've upgraded. A dual 1GHz QuickSilver.A noticeable speed-hike over my previous 533 DP.

The G5 will no have to wait until some time next year.

Meanwhile, I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK!

Has anyone succeeded in really quietening these things down?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 08:43 PM

duck tape a matress around it
http://www.mafia-designs.com

JBytes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2004, 08:53 PM

I have a QuickSilver 933, which is probably louder than yours. the noise was driving me absolutely CRAZY, and literally gave me constant headache. I got extra long monitor and USB cables, drilled a hole through the wall, and put the jet engine in the adjacent room. Though I can STILL hear the bloody thing, I can actually hear the tele now.

I need a G5 soon.

--JBytes

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by JBytes:
I have a QuickSilver 933, which is probably louder than yours. the noise was driving me absolutely CRAZY, and literally gave me constant headache. I got extra long monitor and USB cables, drilled a hole through the wall, and put the jet engine in the adjacent room. Though I can STILL hear the bloody thing, I can actually hear the tele now.

I need a G5 soon.

--JBytes
wow. now thats extreme. heh

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 07:25 AM

I guess it will come down to replacing fans.

The power supply seems the worst. Anyone change theirs?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2004, 10:05 AM

I guess everything is subjective. I had a Dual 867 MDD and found it to be very quiet. I had a 933MHz QuickSilver and found it to be even quieter. Both machines were part of lineups that were supposedly infamously loud.

Perhaps my skin has been thickened after years of having had PCs.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
I guess everything is subjective. I had a Dual 867 MDD and found it to be very quiet. I had a 933MHz QuickSilver and found it to be even quieter. Both machines were part of lineups that were supposedly infamously loud.

Perhaps my skin has been thickened after years of having had PCs.
ya i ran a pc with 5 fans and the side casing always removed and everything seems quiet to me.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2004, 03:14 PM

We had a thread on this not too long ago, and I know that xlr8yourmac.com has a link to a site where a guy made a huge difference in the noise level of his G4. They are pretty much stock fans, 120mm for the power supply and 60mm for the CPU. The only problem is the power connectors are screwy, but if you get some molex passthrough cables, you'll be fine.

I replaced all my fans, including the CPU fan and power supply fan on my DP 1 gig Quicksilver, and it made quite a difference, but it still sounds like a beast next to my G5 DP 1.8.

I would say search for the thread here, and definitely head over to xlr8yourmac.com

Eugene Fields
Oct 25, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by booboo:
OK. so I've upgraded. A dual 1GHz QuickSilver.A noticeable speed-hike over my previous 533 DP.

The G5 will no have to wait until some time next year.

Meanwhile, I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK!

Has anyone succeeded in really quietening these things down?
I silenced my 1.42 with the Verax Kits, from Germany. I sold a whisper quiet machine as quiet as my G5 nearly silent. A whoosh of air thats all. It was worth the $300. Its a year later and I checked, He's Still SILENT... They are a great outfit. High Quality..10 year gurantee!!!!

They replace the Heartsink with a Heatsink with 2 dedicated Fans in it SIlent and replace the 2 PowerSupply fans with thiers. They have some of the most silent fans ever engineered for computers. Tre Kit!! and money back gurantee!

www.verax.de

http://www.verax.de/verax.php?SID=92...try&entryid=72

http://www.veraxfans.com/ - for the US vender

( Last edited by Eugene Fields; Oct 25, 2004 at 10:16 AM. )
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 06:17 PM

Thanks all for the input. i'll check out the Verxx kits.

But Lateralus, you must be the first person to find a MDD quiet. I had one for 3 hours, that was enough.

Perhaps it's time to change the battery in your hearing aid

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:13 AM

I have a QuickSilver 933...the noise was driving me absolutely CRAZY...
That's odd. I have the same computer. The sound from the fan isn't an issue for me. I've even put in one of those PCI slot fans. Still the sound of this computer doesn't bother me at all.

I guess it's all relative. I think my computer is perfect.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
I guess it's all relative. I think my computer is perfect.
may also be what your used too. I am used to using a pc with 6 fans and the door always open so every mac i've used is quiet. but if your moving from a powerbook to a 933mhz quicksilver i can see why you would think it to be loud. either way both my macs are silent.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 03:26 AM

I have a dual 1ghz quicksilver and it's quiet as a mouse, well almost. Sometimes I sit there in my room I wonder if it's still even running, if you listen hard enough everything is humming along inside.
- Eric

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 12:11 PM

My MDD sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It can be heard through the entire apartment and it should be upgraded, but I need to get more RAM first...
( Last edited by MOTHERWELL; Oct 27, 2004 at 01:23 PM. )

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:22 PM

I also have a Quicksilver 933 - and have succedded in making the thing friggen *silent*. I will have to check at home for the brands of parts I used, but off of the top of my head...

1) Mine came with no HD (long story, but got it free) - so the first thing was to get a 120 gig Seagate hd. They make the quietest hard drives in the buisness, and they stay that way, unlike others that start quiet and then get more and more shrill.

2) Swapped out the big 120mm fan - easy to do

3) Swapped out the 60mm processor fan - again easy. the hardest part was finding the right fan. Many that claimed to be quiet were noisier then the stock fan.

4) Swapped out the 80mm fan in the power supply - Hard. I would not recommend unless you have repaired electronics before.

5) To compensate for the lower rpm processor fan used in step 3 - I removed the heatsink, cleaned it, and used Artic Silver thermal paste to replace the stock cheap stuff.

If anyone wants the info - I can check the brands of fans I bought when I get home and the web sites I ordered from... But after doing this is is dead silent. I almost forget that it is on - its the quietedt CPU in the house - including a slot-loading imac and an ibook.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:50 PM

I need a G5 soon.

--JBytes
I did the same thing with my dual 867, except I suspended it from the ceiling in my computer room in the basement. I too can still hear it, but you really have to listen hard.

I cannot work with any kind of constant noise like that and I feel your pain [and fortunately can't hear it].

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I did the same thing with my dual 867, except I suspended it from the ceiling in my computer room in the basement. I too can still hear it, but you really have to listen hard.
. . .
That's got to be worth a photo!

Meantime, I've bought a couple of quiet fans - the 120 mm PCI/case blower and the one in the Power Supply (which i think is currently - ouch - the noisiest).

I'll probably start Operation Shhhh! sometime this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules