Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The New iTMS Countires:

The New iTMS Countires:
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 12:28 PM

So, yeah, I know, I got this screenshot and now it is going when you go to "Choose Store," but it will be up later, so just trust me:

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 12:35 PM

more evidence:

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 12:37 PM

Good deal.

Still no Canada, eh.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Good deal.

Still no Canada, eh.
*lol*

Steve must hate the Canadians
Or the Canadian MI Apple ?!?!

-t

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 12:52 PM

[ busy shopping ]

European Monetary Union rocks!

[ sorry, Nordic neighbours ]

J

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

[ sorry, Nordic neighbours ]
Yes, this sucks!

why ???

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Jens Peter:
why ???

Seriously, a lot of european markets are still missing and I'm sure they're being negotiated. I just think that this big EMU-bunch was bigger and faster to manage, so it got priority.

The population of the countries added today adds up to 150 million. Just add some marketing.

J
( Last edited by Judge_Fire; Oct 26, 2004 at 02:05 PM. )

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 02:10 PM

Heeheehee...

Unfortunately this euro zone argument doesn't apply to the UK, so, despite us being a bunch of euro-jerks, we still got our own store due to our sheer size.

However, for a lot of the smaller countries, it does highlight the very clear advantages of being inside the euro zone, and I would imagine that in the Nordic region, Finnish iTunes users feel particularly smug tonight. :-)

K�benhavn is actually my favourite city in the world, but come on guys (and the same to my fellow Brits)... get it over with... join the euro!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:18 PM

But what about Ireland!?

With U2 appearing alongside SJ, I thought they were sure to get theirs

J

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:27 PM

Good deal.

Still no Canada, eh.
iTMS Canda will be available in November.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
iTMS Canda will be available in November.
2010, that is.

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 02:46 PM

Arggghhhhh.... no Australia either. ...i can look but i better not tought.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
i can look but i better not tought.
Translation, please ?

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Translation, please ?

-t
I think he means "touch." Probably just a typo.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 04:23 PM

Anybody else notice that only the German and French iTunes Music Stores have their stores' interfaces localized to their own language?

The terms of service for each store is in each country's native language, but for every other store the language within the store itself is English.

I wonder if that will change in the future? However, if I remember correctly, when the German and French stores came out their stores were already in their native languages.

Austria speaks German, they could have at least started with Germany's translations, and then change specific things to the Austrian dialect...

Oh well... in other news, once the Greek iTunes Music Store actually has Greek music available (by currently popular Greek artists), I expect my father to get a credit card issued by a bank in Greece so he can take part in song purchases. He just built a house in the village where he was born and raised and opened a bank account there, and has money transferred from his US bank to his Greek Bank on a monthly basis, so all he has to do is get a credit card or a debit card from them, and...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 08:02 PM

Good deal.

Still no Canada, eh.
I think that you are suppose to be getting the iTMS in November.

Congratulations to Europe on this momentous occasion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Anybody else notice that only the German and French iTunes Music Stores have their stores' interfaces localized to their own language?
In the best scenario, the store would function like a regular mac app and use the language spesified in the system prefs.

Most users I know dislike the localization. The terminology is weird and since most apps don't come with a Finnish translation anyway, you'd still have a mostly English UI.

People's location isn't a sure indicator of their language preference.

J

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 05:05 AM

Are we forgetting our technologicly superior neighbors in Japan? Give them a music store before they sent their giant robots over to take our music from us!

Seriously.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 05:18 AM

Japan is ridiculously behind the times in a lot of weird aspects, so you shouldn't just assume that they'll have any given technology, especially if it's a service.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:06 PM

WE WANT iTUNES!!!!!! iTUNES 4 OZ!!!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 06:47 PM

And whaddabout Switzerland???? They speak German, French and Italian here so it's no biggy, and who cares about the Swiss Franc, anyway.
weird wabbit

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:35 PM

Steve come on! What the heck is up with this? I totally would have bought stuff as soon as the iTMS came out! Sigh... oh well. That said I wonder how tax will work with Canada, IE will I have to pay 14% sales tax because I live in Manitoba?

Dang it... I want the iTMS! I would totally buy... let me see...

If I could get an album for 10 bucks CND that'd be awesome. Even 12 bucks. Any more than that I might as well get the album myself.

But yah, I wanna get the Hawk Nelson album, probably get the second Ace Troubleshooter album, the first Benjamin Gate one, and perhaps a few others as soon as it goes live.

urbatronik
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by storer:
WE WANT iTUNES!!!!!! iTUNES 4 OZ!!!
me too (im dreaming)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
The Belgian store was released in English, went to French yesterday and switched back to English today and no option for Dutch. But whatever, Dutch, French, English, it's all the same to me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 03:42 AM

Why is it that people automatically assume it's Apple? I'm sure Apple would love to have an iTMS in every country, but copyright laws and recalcitrant music companies are the blockade in many places.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
The Belgian store was released in English, went to French yesterday and switched back to English today and no option for Dutch. But whatever, Dutch, French, English, it's all the same to me.
Heh, yea I noticed that too, but still I'm thankfull we finally got an iTMS store ....

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 10:15 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to see Apple even bother making a foray into Portugal, a tiny market by their standards. I guess that shows the market possibilities the Euro enables. It remains to be seen what sort of an impact it will have on the local market there, considering it hasn't been translated yet, and the lack of local musicians to choose from, but that may change over time.

Ehehe, kind of ironic my country of origin gets the iTMS before my country of residence does, but comforting nonetheless.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Japan is ridiculously behind the times in a lot of weird aspects, so you shouldn't just assume that they'll have any given technology, especially if it's a service.
Except Japan is the country of gadgets, and a country where 100 yen is nothing to spend on stuff. A country where Apple has spent a lot of time and money marketing the iPod in an effort to beat Sony on their own turf. And won. (iPods are everywhere on the streets)

This is a country where you can rent the latest CD for three hundred yen (less then $3), and at the checkout counter is a stack of MDs.

So when I saw the lengths people were going to, to actually get iTunes accounts in Japan, I figured Apple would do this.

Call me dumb. But its a obvious choice. You know, it being like one of the top economies in the world and all.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 11:31 AM

What are the copyright laws in Japan? That's the question you should be asking.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
What are the copyright laws in Japan? That's the question you should be asking.
Yeah, thats the weird thing. I know they have them, I've just never seen any evidence. Chain music rental stores everywhere and all.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Except Japan is the country of gadgets, and a country where 100 yen is nothing to spend on stuff. A country where Apple has spent a lot of time and money marketing the iPod in an effort to beat Sony on their own turf. And won. (iPods are everywhere on the streets)

This is a country where you can rent the latest CD for three hundred yen (less then $3), and at the checkout counter is a stack of MDs.

So when I saw the lengths people were going to, to actually get iTunes accounts in Japan, I figured Apple would do this.

Call me dumb. But its a obvious choice. You know, it being like one of the top economies in the world and all.
�0�6100 is less than US$1, so yeah, of course it's nothing to spend on stuff. If they release the iTMS here, it will almost certainly cost more than �0�6100 per song. Sony already has an iTMS-like service here, and I believe it's about �0�6300 per song. Hell, ringtones cost more than �0�6100 per song if you want the whole thing, and that's just crappy MIDI stuff.

Yes, Japan has gadgets, but they lack anything and everything that actually makes your life easier or more convenient. And who cares about MDs? Also note that being the second largest economy in the world means it has its own powerful and corrupt record companies and RIAA-like organizations (JASRAC). That makes it harder, not easier to establish something like the iTMS.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:25 PM

Those three countries at the right side... together again!, just kidding, I am non-political but I got some e-mails about the flags configuration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules