Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPods

New iPods (Page 2)
brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
iPod Photo. WTF! What a useless feature.

You all need to quit drinking the apple kool-aid.
the point is that it's not useful for everyone, hence it being the iPod Photo, and the continuation of the regular iPod. For those who have a need to transport their photos around, or even for those desiring a colour screen, it is indeed very useful.

You just need to realize they're not always trying to please you, champ.

8minute
Oct 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
They should have used iphoto for pictures on the mac and itunes for pc users.
You can use iPhoto to sync pictures and albums. These are the following options listed on the website:

"As with your music, iTunes gives you options. You can choose automatically to sync:

* All the images you�ve assembled in your iPhoto, Adobe Album or Adobe Elements photo library
* Just those albums or collections you select in the iTunes dialog
* All the photos found in a selected folder on your computer�s hard drive"

I would love a colour iPod ... but seeing the Australian prices nearly made me choke ... 40G AUD799, 60G AUD949! The 60G costs a third of what I paid for my 12" PB

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 09:12 PM

This rocks.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:25 PM

the black ipod is cool. would be a lot better with a red screen.

photoipod? no, thanks. i have a 12" PB to show my pictures on and i find it to be the perfect size.

curmi
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 10:15 PM

A cool possibility I haven't seen mentioned is putting your presentations on this thing. Keynote could have an "export to slideshow" option, producing a slide show of all the slides in your presentation. You then sync with the iPod Photo, and take that to a customer's office. Plug the iPod Photo in their projector and do your presentation. No need to carry or set up a laptop. Very cool.

Keynote doesn't have this option though - but I'm sure someone could create something like this for Keynote or PowerPoint.

pinkpanther
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 10:27 PM

Does album art transfer/display on the ipod?

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by pinkpanther:
Does album art transfer/display on the ipod?
yes

"And did we mention that iTunes 4.7 also autosyncs Album Art? It�s true. The Album Art downloaded when you purchase music from the iTunes Music Store is transferred to iPod Photo along with the music. So while iPod Photo plays your tunes, you can enjoy the Album Art � in color, of course � on the Now Playing screen."

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

tr

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 10:53 PM

15 hours battery life?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! damn.
iamwhor3hay

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by tr:
yes

"And did we mention that iTunes 4.7 also autosyncs Album Art? It�s true. The Album Art downloaded when you purchase music from the iTunes Music Store is transferred to iPod Photo along with the music. So while iPod Photo plays your tunes, you can enjoy the Album Art � in color, of course � on the Now Playing screen."

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/

tr
This is an example of marketing at its finest. The fact of the matter is that the album art is part of the music file itself. So even before iTunes 4.7 was released the album art was "autosynced". It got transferred along with all the other tags on a music file. The iPod Photo just has the ability to display the album art. But Apple will hype it like iTunes 4.7 is actually delivering a new feature or something!

OAW

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 12:10 AM

Hum... I think I'd rather just take my powerbook with me. I happen to like the 15" widescrean a bit more than something the size of my camera LCD display. Besides... I can listen to music and look at pictures already... I mean it is a mac

No doubt apple will sell tons, but I think certain other features (like a SD and CF reader built in) would make something like this so much more useful and justify the extra price.

Think about it... you have to take your camera, powerbook/ibook and photo ipod with you anyway... you need all three to get the photos on your ipod. So why not save the money, get a normal 4G and deal with having to whip out your top of the line notebook instead of an ipod. You know the notebook that you spent a nice chunk of cash on... that's setup to do this job much better than the photo ipod

I do like the U2 iPod idea... don't love the color combo... but apple should have made some other colors too... would have sold tons...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 12:21 AM

I think the UPod would have been better as a Mini. I like the photo idea just to have the coolest stuff but ...

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 03:10 AM

bah I'm sure Apple could give album-art display to the old iPods with a firmware update...surely? I don't mind album art in monochrome!

Even if they could though, they wouldn't as they need the distinction between the two brands. Its like display spanning vs mirroring on the powerbooks and iBooks.
http://www.yongfook.com

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 05:59 AM

The color display is nice, the supposed 15hr battery life is nice too, but me personally I think the photo thing is kind of a gimmick. I guess I don't have a digicam though so it's usefulness is limited to me. I think it would be cool for a while then the novelty would wear off and that would be that. I'd take the thinner form factor over photo capability anyday. Just give me more battery life!

Ruahrc

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 08:01 AM

I think the iPod Photo is incredibly cool! I just bought my 3G 15GB earlier this year and look at how things have changed. The iPod Photo would fit into my lifestyle perfectly as I'm always snapping digital pics of my 2 little girls and showing them to anyone who'll pay attention. Those who are complaining saying that they could already do iPod Photo's tricks on their digital camera are missing the point. Last time I checked they weren't making 40GB or 60GB CF cards. All your pictures, instantly available in your pocket. Never mind the fact that a photo slideshow is always better with the perfect music. The only thing that seems amiss (as others have said) is that it is missing a direct camera to iPod link... something Belkin is probably very happy about.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by noxoliver:
when can we expect G5 ipods?

A pricedrop is also out of question. Well, it lokks like I have to buy a 20g ipod. Too sad, I thought this event would be more interesting.
Good lord, find someone willing enough to slap you please harder the better.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:47 AM

Though I'm certainly not in the market, I think a iPod Photo is useful for photos the same way an iPod is useful for music. You may not always leave the house thinking "today I want to show my pictures from my trip to San Francisco", but if for some reason it comes up, you have it with you. I figure it's for people who are really into sharing their photos with others. It's not for me, but I can certainly see a lot of uses.

Either way, eventually the iPod photo will be standard, and for the same $299 or $399 we'll be able to get an iPod that has a bonus color screen and photo (and more?) capabilities.

If you don't need it, don't buy it, but I think it's a natural feature integration for the iPod. With these huge hard drives, they need more than just music capabilities to fill it up. Though I am disappointed that they didn't release a 60GB non-photo iPod.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by iPoder:
Now only if Apple can build-in the transfer function, then it will be quite useful.
this is what I'm getting at. I have the media reader but I can't figure out what it does that can't be done through software and a direct connection. It seems to me that all it is is a media reader with a dock connector output...But even the newer Digital Camera Link that connects straight to the camera has a mechanical part to it. So I guess the question is, what's in the white box that makes it necessary?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
It seems to me that all it is is a media reader with a dock connector output...
That is pretty much it!

Apple definitely can support the direct link in the same way that iPhoto loads the pictures from your camera.

My guess that Apple did not feel the need to do that because iPod was only for music only. But now the situation changes.

Some people want the media reader built-in as part of iPod. But that will increase the cost, weight and the thickness, so likelihood of that happening is close to nil. But it should not take much for Apple to make a cable (dock connector to mini-usb or whatever it takes) and some firmware supports to allow transfering the pictures from your camera.

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 01:24 PM

Well, this is an interesting turn of events. It won't be enough to make me upgrade from my third generation iPod. I have a LOT of photos, and I currently use my iPod as a backup drive for my photos, but I have no need to see them on the iPod.

It's too bad that Steve declined to do video on a small device like this, because that would be the next logical step. I'd love to take just my iPod on a flight and watch movies, play music, and even store photos from the trip. Since video is out of the equation, what would the next generation hold for new features?

Guess this also confirmed the 60 GB drive rumors from a few months back.

I think I'll stick with my 12" powerbook for now.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:27 PM

maybe not the right thread, but my 60gb has shipped from Shanghai via FedEx, though they dont give an estimated arrival date

blikum
Oct 27, 2004, 02:27 PM

I called my local apple store yesterday to inquire about availability and I was told 2-3 weeks in the stores. So I put my name on the list for the 60 of course. I received a phone call this morning before the store was even open and what a shock I got when the guy said we have the new pods! I thought he was joking! So needless to say I'm copying my library as I type. Can't wait to check out the new features!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by blikum:
I called my local apple store yesterday to inquire about availability and I was told 2-3 weeks in the stores. So I put my name on the list for the 60 of course. I received a phone call this morning before the store was even open and what a shock I got when the guy said we have the new pods! I thought he was joking! So needless to say I'm copying my library as I type. Can't wait to check out the new features!
Well hurry up and take a photo!!
You can host a snapshot at http://tinypic.com if you don't have a webhost.
( Last edited by Mithras; Oct 27, 2004 at 03:06 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by alligator:

It's too bad that Steve declined to do video on a small device like this, because that would be the next logical step. I'd love to take just my iPod on a flight and watch movies, play music, and even store photos from the trip.
I'm responding to this portion of your post, but it is not directed at you alone. It is to everyone who is still clamoring for video functionality on an iPod.

1. A 2-inch screen is way to small to watch video. Sure, it can be done. But why?

2. Full motion video requires even more power than displaying photos. The new iPod sports a 15 battery life for music. Continuous display of photo slide shows will only get you 5 hours of battery life. Full motion video will get even less!

3. Last but definitely not least .... there is no content! Exactly where does one obtain 20 x 176 pixel resolution movies? There is nowhere to legally obtain such content. If people have to manually re-size movies themselves that they rip from DVDs or download from Kazaa (with all its associated copyright issues) in order for them to fit on the iPod screen then that will be a huge negative from a usability standpoint.

While video on an iPod sounds cool ... the timing simply is not right for such functionality.

OAW

jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:08 PM

Agreed. My iPod is a music player. The color screen adds nothing but additional expense as far as I'm concerned.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

blikum
Oct 27, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Well hurry up and take a photo!!
You can host a snapshot at http://tinypic.com if you don't have a webhost.
Here's a couple quickie photos. Had to go with no flash, and I'm definately not a photographer.

http://idisk.mac.com/blikum1/Public/pix/sgtpod.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/blikum1/Public/pix/helppod.jpg

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by jcadam:
Agreed. My iPod is a music player. The color screen adds nothing but additional expense as far as I'm concerned.
I grew up with, and still prefer, vinyl.

Cover art *used to* be an absolutely integral part of the album concept.

I would *love* to be able to browse music by album cover (or name, with cover preview image).

Can this be done on the iPod photo?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 06:21 PM

still disappointed that there is no optical and a 2.2 inch screen. Im hoping for bluetooth or infrared for keynote. Use the ipod as the the controller and do it on a monitor or tv or projector in class. u have over 5 buttons to go back forward etc.

curmi
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I'm responding to this portion of your post, but it is not directed at you alone. It is to everyone who is still clamoring for video functionality on an iPod.

1. A 2-inch screen is way to small to watch video. Sure, it can be done. But why?

2. Full motion video requires even more power than displaying photos. The new iPod sports a 15 battery life for music. Continuous display of photo slide shows will only get you 5 hours of battery life. Full motion video will get even less!

3. Last but definitely not least .... there is no content! Exactly where does one obtain 20 x 176 pixel resolution movies? There is nowhere to legally obtain such content. If people have to manually re-size movies themselves that they rip from DVDs or download from Kazaa (with all its associated copyright issues) in order for them to fit on the iPod screen then that will be a huge negative from a usability standpoint.

While video on an iPod sounds cool ... the timing simply is not right for such functionality.

OAW
Surely the idea is for video from the output port, not on the 2-inch screen? So you can put your videos on the iPod, attach it to a TV, and watch them. Or convert your Keynote presentation to a quicktime movie, and display that (complete with the impressive transitions).

No one wants to watch video on a 2-inch screen. But you should be able to watch video on your TV or on a projector at a business meeting.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 07:00 PM

iPod Comic?

I know the screen is rather small, but the resolution of 220x176 isn't too small for comics to be displayed... Not huge splash page type comics, obviously, but web comics such that use a standard template, such as Sinfest, perhaps an application could be written that downloads and splits up the images? Hell, GraphicConverter can do the splitting up part already... And eventually, I imagine, some web comics will create content specifically for that resolution; the image can simply be scaled down, but the text probably needs to be redone, else it's too fuzzy.

Anyway, just an idea. I don't know if the screen is too small in real life for this to be feasible.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:23 PM

with the recent added tv output from the ipod, i would rather see just the ability to play a movie to a tv instead of the tiny screen, if i could carry my movies in something that small and only have to carry one cable for video like that it would more than make my day

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 12:18 AM

i saw the ipodphoto today. Wow. I must say. The screen is so osx like. I think if the made it so the ipod was the controller and than get mpeg4 part 10 on there we might be headin some ware.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 01:07 AM

The iPod itself is pretty useless. All it does is make entertaining sound. Now it shows pretty pictures too. As an entertainment device, it doesn't have to be useful!

But it could be educational: students who use iPods to listen to recorded lectures could now also make mini-flashcards of key graphical concepts: science diagrams, art history works, etc.

And professional: designers could keep their portfolios in their pockets to show potential clients, real estate agents could flick through photos of recent houses grabbed from the website, company execs could save Keynote/Powerpoint presentations as still images for plugging into the company projector/plasma.

Besides, Kool-aid is tasty and it takes us further into space than Tang. Many of us Apple users like to dream a bit.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 01:14 AM

When will they come out with 60gb regular iPods??
iamwhor3hay

michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by blikum:
Here's a couple quickie photos. Had to go with no flash, and I'm definately not a photographer.

http://idisk.mac.com/blikum1/Public/pix/sgtpod.jpg
http://idisk.mac.com/blikum1/Public/pix/helppod.jpg
Blurry as hell, but excellent anyway! Congrats, I think they're the first ones here.

So, you're a Beatles man. With the court case, no special edition for them just yet!

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 28, 2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
total non-event

what excatly is the point of the ipodphoto ?

my digital camera already allows me to see pictures on a screen

and it has superior display capabilities
The iPod Photo doesn't take pictures (or video for that matter), the same way the regular iPod doesn't record music. It's a storage and play-back device for music/spoken word recordings and now for photographs.

It can store and display pictures of any size (well over 5 megapixels if you want), and display them on screen, or on a TV or any other video device, in browsing or slide show format (accompanied by music that's on your iPod if you like).

It also will synch with your photo libraries on your computer so that you don't have to do any work to keep the photos on it up to date. It's really meant to be a way to have access to your photos on the go, the same way the regular iPod allows you to access your music on the go.

Apples and oranges, really.

Still, I think Apple missed two prime features:

1) being able to share a photo with someone else who has an iPod Photo and is within range via bluetooth or whatever. How many times have you seen people looking at photos, and heard one person say "Oh, you HAVE to get me copies of THAT one!"

2) You should be able to hook up a USB cable from your camera to the iPod, and it will download and optionally delete the photos on the camera, just like iPhoto does -- and then you can of course synch it with your desktop machine, edit the photos by deleting them, etc. Many many people who own digital cameras run out of storage space. Yes, I know, the Belkin Media Reader -- but most consumer cameras use USB, and the iPod can do USB -- I should be able to just plug it in and go.

I think it'll do reasonably well -- but I have to see how well everything is implemented first. Music is very personal to people, as are photos -- it could do better then we're expecting. I do think photo sharing is a must, as is direct camera downloading tho. Both are a natural.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 02:22 AM

I'll probably get a 60 just for the bling bling, but it really is a camera phone without the advanced pda functions, can't do video, can't take pictures and can't make phone calls.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

69camaro
Oct 28, 2004, 03:22 AM

why is everyone jumping all over the fact that it shows pics. WOOHOO cool just another lil feature. What about the major thing that drew me in, the 60 gig drive. The part that really sells it. I hate being only able to take a fraction of my collection with me with my 20 gig, now i can take 3 times as much. I've been waiting for a 60 gig drive and it is finally here. I guess it's cool that it has a color screen and does pictures too.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
but it really is a camera phone without the advanced pda functions, can't do video, can't take pictures and can't make phone calls.
Cant take picts, cant make phone calls, yet somehow you still see fit to call it a camera phone!? Riiight..
Been somewhat over indulging in some bad habits lately have we?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I would *love* to be able to browse music by album cover (or name, with cover preview image).

Can this be done on the iPod photo?
I bet not -- or it would have been showcased -- but great idea. I imagine iTunes would have to sort through your music library and build an index... other than that, I think it'd be very cool.

atlcane
Oct 28, 2004, 02:41 PM

I like the iPod Photo but because I am not big on pictures I do not see myself needing a color screened ipod. It is cool though. I bet by next summer though Ipod come only with the color screen. I may wait till then to buy another ipod. I still have 2.4 gig left on my 2nd generation 20 gig.

Forum Links
Forum Rules