Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook for College?

Powerbook for College?
betamike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 11:06 PM

Hello all,

In a little less than a year I'll be heading to college to study Computer Engineering. So I've come to choosing a laptop to bring with me. I would love to bring a powerbook, but I'm worried about doing assignments on it. The programs I've looked at involve programming in Java, and another in FORTRAN and C++. I know that because of the processor architecture difference, I can't compile the program on the laptop and turn it in, if need be.

I was wondering if anyone might be enrolled in this, or a similar a major (or were in a similar major) or if anyone in general could tell me if my worries are valid.

thank you

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 12:52 AM

Every course I've taken as a CS major requires you to submit code, not binary executables. You'll almost always be submitting source code which a TA will compile/execute on their machine. The programming aspect shouldn't be an issue.

What could be an issue is if you have to program some board for a digital logic/design/etc. class, where the board connects via a serial port. I had a digital logic course that required a PC w/Windows and a serial port to connect the board/program it. You'd need to check into courses like that... those would be more sticky than just a programming/software development course.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

gbarill
Oct 31, 2004, 03:49 AM

yeah, gator is right.
in my CS classes (i'm in computer engineering at ubc), having a mac is actually somewhat better than having a PC, because for labs we use Unix terminals, so I connect with X11 and have a Unix workstation remotely connected and compiling in terminal doesn't have any strange conditions like compiling in visual c++ or other.
since X11 is included in mac os, i don't have to install any software like windows users have to. (expose on X11 applications is fun)

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:53 AM

I'll tell you why you need a powerbook. Three of the 4 of us submit code via our powerbooks for our classes.

[removed image: NO HUGE INLINE IMAGES! --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 31, 2004 at 03:27 PM. )

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 31, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
[DO NOT QUOTE POSTS WITH LARGE INLINE IMAGES!! --tooki]
Oh no, not that picture again!
( Last edited by tooki; Oct 31, 2004 at 03:28 PM. )

betamike  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2004, 02:18 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm going to check into the courses at the two colleges I'm planning to goto (assuming I get in: UF and GeorgiaTech). I have an old toshiba laptop (PIII 1Ghz, not too bad), and I could always bring that if for some reason I need x86 or Windows,etc.

Thanks again!

mjames
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 03:55 PM

Definitely get a PB, you'll love it. I'm a freshman in college and don't regret my PB one bit!
21" 2.5 Ghz Core i5 iMac | 13" 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook
20" Cinema Display | iPhone 4 32 GB

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 05:40 PM

Good luck with your Powerbook, I can't imagine being at college without mine.

elbles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 06:11 PM

I love my PowerBook here at school, but a few comments. For some odd reason, I'm at Virginia Tech, and they REQUIRE that any Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Business Information Technology major have a PC, regardless of the fact that we have the XServe cluster and all. Go figure. Anyway, I brought my first Mac down here anyway, as I was way too sick of all the Windows headaches that I had to deal with back at home.

It's absolutely great to have a machine that just works, and it is just UNIX underneath, so there's a lot of compatibility there with whatever sort of UNIX apps that they might have you write. I'm a freshman, so I haven't gotten into any of that yet, but there are supposedly professors down here who say nothing but UNIX (for which Macs are included), and others who won't touch anything that isn't Windows; now, keep in mind, this is a school that REQUIRES students to have PC laptops with Windows, and there is still tons of disparity among instructors. It might very well be the same at other schools, it's just something to keep in mind, as $3,000 on a PowerBook is a great tool, but it's difficult if you get stuck with what I would be to consider stupid Windows zealots. For what it's worth, I have Virtual PC with Windows 2000 setup on the PowerBook for two programs, Autodesk Inventor, and a piece of crap known as Alice; I have managed to run Alice (a Java program that is absolute trash, and still Windows only) under OS X with reduced functionality, but still able to do everything necessary for a course. Windows 2000 hasn't been touched since September. :-)

Since you have a PIII laptop, I'd highly recommend getting the PowerBook; you have something to fall back on, if absolutely necessary, and otherwise, you get to avoid using the Windows trash that way too many people use. :-)

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by betamike:
Thanks a bunch guys. I'm going to check into the courses at the two colleges I'm planning to goto (assuming I get in: UF and GeorgiaTech). I have an old toshiba laptop (PIII 1Ghz, not too bad), and I could always bring that if for some reason I need x86 or Windows,etc.

Thanks again!
Well, I can say for certain that if you're in Comp Eng at UF, you'll have some hardware classes that use boards with parallel port connectivity and things like software from Altera that required Windows (I used Maxplus, seems like the current Digital Logic course uses Quartus now).

The labs here should have computers you can use to deal with some of the stuff if needed, though your Toshiba laptop should be just fine for your hardware courses.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules