Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > First reviews of The Incredibles out. It rocks.

First reviews of The Incredibles out. It rocks.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 27, 2004, 09:50 PM

Shadows On The Wall: 5/5

VariaGallery: 4.5/5

And as previously posted, Steve Ballmer is gonna love it:

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 09:55 PM

This movie is going to be Incredible...ehhh...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 09:58 PM

Pixar made it, how could it not be outstanding? I'd never bet against that team.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 10:02 PM

Time Magazine: 4.5/5 (reg. req'd)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

Yep... those ARE incredible.

"Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes..."
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 05:07 AM

i'd hit that blond .. =) .. interesting how the jpg is named incrEDIBLES ... yes .. they ARE edible .. yummy ..

anyways .. looking forward to the film .. i bet it's going to be a smash (bye bye shark tale) hehee

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 11:55 PM

I saw it on tuesday night... it is good, some really adult jokes, it was surprising.. the animation is ****ing amazoing.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
I saw it on tuesday night... it is good, some really adult jokes, it was surprising.. the animation is ****ing amazoing.
good to hear. i'm looking foward to seeing it.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2004, 10:18 AM

Another 5/5 review (if you can read Spanish): Cinenga�os

Perfecta, impecable, maravillosa. Un nuevo cl�sico de todos los tiempos.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 10:32 AM

Everyone who has seen it raves about it. Kevin Smith says it's the best superhero movie ever.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2004, 10:11 AM

Shadows On The Wall: 5/5

VariaGallery: 4.5/5

Another 5/5 review (if you can read Spanish): Cinenga�os

Hollywood Reporter: No rating provided but... "'The Incredibles' is, incredibly enough, Pixar's best work yet."

Film Focus: 79%

Tiscali: 9/10

Outnow (German): 6/6

Originally posted by ort888:
Everyone who has seen it raves about it. Kevin Smith says it's the best superhero movie ever.
Who is Kevin Smith?

EDIT: I now see he is one of the reviewers at joblo.com but I can't find his review anywhere. I just see a synopsis and pictures, etc.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 30, 2004 at 10:32 AM. )

Kilbey
Baninated
Oct 30, 2004, 10:52 AM

Who is Kevin Smith?

EDIT: I now see he is one of the reviewers at joblo.com but I can't find his review anywhere. I just see a synopsis and pictures, etc.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Stop what you are doing and read this entire site devoted to Kevin Smith's movies. Right now.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:56 AM

I saw it yesterday, and it's one of the best movies in general that I've seen in a long time!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2004, 10:04 AM

Who is Kevin Smith?

omfg!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 10:36 AM

Wow... I didn't know it was out i can't wait to see it pixar has never failed!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2004, 10:37 AM

First "bad" review. Well, basically, it's an "It's OK but not great" review.

Killer Movie Reviews: 3/5

"Despite first-rate CGI animation and some clever atomic 50s-style art direction, THE INCREDIBLES commits the worst cinematic sin of all, it�s tepid. And it has nothing from that trailer in it."

Originally posted by Randman:
omfg!
OK, OK, now I have been enlightened.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Wow... I didn't know it was out i can't wait to see it pixar has never failed!
It's not out until Friday.... it was a pre-screening.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:09 PM

OK, OK, now I have been enlightened.
Here ya go Eug

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 02:31 PM

The balmer comparison:

Can't wait to see it!

-Owl

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 02:42 PM

he he he

a comment below in IMDB.

Date: 25 October 2004
Summary: Occasionally clever, sporadically funny and TOTALLY OVER PRODUCED!

The Incredibles is one of those loud, brash, totally over-produced, lowest common denominator, "family films' that while not void of clever asides and mild charms, results in a desperately frantic, grating and ultimately tiresome event for those of us who are not 12 years old. While the computer animation is top notch and often remarkable, the premise full of possibilities, and the musical score delightfully manic, the narrative elements are just too predictable. The characters are curiously one dimensional, which seems odd as they all have secret identities which often seem to fill irritating clich�s such as the "sassy" misunderstood daughter, the "groovy" jivin' black sidekick, the "freaky" decidedly gay fashionista/designer, and the "tough love" Mom to name a few. The narrative's nearly constant action screams along, raising the stakes and inflating its self assured importance with each passing minute.

This multi-million dollar, bombastic side show feels unpleasantly pre-packaged and ready to sell millions of Happy Meals, plush toys and other tie in merchandise. You can't help but wonder how many "power meetings" this thing generated for all the synergistic tie-in companies that cling to such shining gloss like leeches. One thing is for sure, it's designed to hit kiddie radar at dead center and this Christmas will be an Incredibles one!

Ultimately, The Incredibles isn't so much a movie experience but rather an endless commercial for Pixar and Disney as the film laboriously tries to top itself with each new sequence that usually ends with in flourish of animated bangs, if not an explosion. You can't help but feel you're being forced to submit to the film's brow-beating fury. Sadly, this will probably be the most popular box office hit of the year because a lot of commercial critics will pour accolades on it as a "feel good" movie of epic proportions.

30 years ago parents would have dutifully dropped the kids off at the kiddie matin�e and save themselves the headache. Now, in the post Spielberg and Lucas filmscape that made select children's narratives high art and the national obsession with computer generated 'art', many adults will feel obliged to see and love the latest "wonder" from the Walt Disney company. Worse if you are not particularly interested in this kind of cinema, numerous people think you are being too hard on such films.

With the Incredibles or more fitting The Incredibles (TM) there's a distinct plasticity in what so many film goers refer to now as a 'fun movie'. Sure, junk food can be a welcome treat but ultimately it can make people sick.

waky waky!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by i_rooster:
Bah! 10 out of 10 positive reviews so far at RT.

BTW, The Incredibles video games are out. (The Mac is supported of course.)

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 02:09 PM

The Incredibles is one of those loud, brash, totally over-produced, lowest common denominator, "family films' that while not void of clever asides and mild charms, results in a desperately frantic, grating and ultimately tiresome event for those of us who are not 12 years old.
Maybe I'm too disillusioned to follow the hype but that review struck me as the honest truth.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 03:06 PM

Who is Kevin Smith?
The poster boy for legend in his own mind.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Maybe I'm too disillusioned to follow the hype but that review struck me as the honest truth.
You've seen the movie then?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 03:43 PM

i feel sorry for people like them and if you agree with him � you.

it's a stupid movie. if you're too uptight, maybe you folks should stop doing everything and just sit at home and read the bible.

i am one of those people that can go see any movie. good or bad and see it for what it is. if it sucks, you make fun of it with your friends. if it's great, you talk about how great it was. my last netflix movie was "Spiceworld". deal with it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
The poster boy for legend in his own mind.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
You've seen the movie then?
I doubt I will. I'm not a fan of that sort of genre but the review felt somehow "right", at least in accordance to my cynical nature towards Hollywood hype and popular culture in general.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 03:08 AM

I doubt I will. I'm not a fan of that sort of genre but the review felt somehow "right", at least in accordance to my cynical nature towards Hollywood hype and popular culture in general.
Then it's your feeling that the sentiment is correct, not the review.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 10:28 AM

So basically, you have no idea. If this genre is not your thing then it's of course it makes sense not to see it and that's fine. However, that's quite a different thing from condemning a movie simply because some random comment fits your prior bias against it.

Meanwhile, it's 13 for 13 at RT.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 10:56 AM

No matter what the reviews I think Pixar will have another hit on their hands. WOW Can they really go 6 for 6? That would be unheard of in Hollywood. Even for animated movies.

I can't wait to see this movie. It looks like a lot of fun.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

andi*pandi
Nov 2, 2004, 11:08 AM

I'm a little worried it won't be good. The few trailers I've seen on TV have been poorly cut, like they couldn't find a good joke to show, or didn't have enough to give away. Just the dad being fat.

Hope I'm wrong.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 11:28 AM

Ultimately, The Incredibles isn't so much a movie experience but rather an endless commercial for Pixar and Disney as the film laboriously tries to top itself with each new sequence that usually ends with in flourish of animated bangs, if not an explosion. You can't help but feel you're being forced to submit to the film's brow-beating fury. Sadly, this will probably be the most popular box office hit of the year because a lot of commercial critics will pour accolades on it as a "feel good" movie of epic proportions.

30 years ago parents would have dutifully dropped the kids off at the kiddie matin�e and save themselves the headache. Now, in the post Spielberg and Lucas filmscape that made select children's narratives high art and the national obsession with computer generated 'art', many adults will feel obliged to see and love the latest "wonder" from the Walt Disney company. Worse if you are not particularly interested in this kind of cinema, numerous people think you are being too hard on such films.

With the Incredibles or more fitting The Incredibles (TM) there's a distinct plasticity in what so many film goers refer to now as a 'fun movie'. Sure, junk food can be a welcome treat but ultimately it can make people sick.
This is more like a review for Shrek 2.

After seeing The Iron Giant and follwoing the director's career, accusing The Incredibles of being a giant advertisement is about as arrogantly naive and cynical as you can get. Sometimes, people actually have heart and don't fake it, but the PR blitz makes it hard to tell the difference. Poor Brad. I hate that he has to put up with crap like that after all the hard work over almost a decade trying to get this project in theatres.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:30 PM

I sincerely think we need this image on the thread one more time.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 01:46 PM

he he he

a comment below in IMDB.

He probably hated Nemo and Monsters, Inc. too.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I'm a little worried it won't be good. The few trailers I've seen on TV have been poorly cut, like they couldn't find a good joke to show, or didn't have enough to give away. Just the dad being fat.
I don't have any worries. Then again, I love anything that mocks superheroes. (Which is odd since I have no interest in serious superhero stuff.)

My favorite episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants were the ones with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy and my favorite series on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block are Captain Sturdy and The Aquaman & Friends Action Hour.

What do you mean Captain Sturdy never made it past the second pilot and Aquaman and Friends is only shown in Latin America?

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 05:55 PM

The fact that Ca$h doesn't think he'll like this movie is a sure sign that it's going to be absolutely huge.

Let's face it, most of the humor and fun in Pixar's films is really not geared towards the play-with-fire-and-knives crowd. You gotta be able to get at least two or three of the jokes in any given Simpsons ep to really appreciate the kind of stuff Pixar puts out.

I'm seeing this movie on Friday, and I've little doubt it's going to AT LEAST live up to my expectations.

BTW, Kevin Smith is a talentless hack.

That is all.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 05:58 PM

demograph68 isn't Ca$h.

Nor is pman68.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
The fact that Ca$h doesn't think he'll like this movie is a sure sign that it's going to be absolutely huge.

Let's face it, most of the humor and fun in Pixar's films is really not geared towards the play-with-fire-and-knives crowd. You gotta be able to get at least two or three of the jokes in any given Simpsons ep to really appreciate the kind of stuff Pixar puts out.

I'm seeing this movie on Friday, and I've little doubt it's going to AT LEAST live up to my expectations.

That is all.

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:

Hope I'm wrong.
Bwha? If there's one thing Pixar knows how to do, it's put out a trailer.

I suspect you're used to a TV trailer representing a movie's full load of gags and fx, a crime of which Pixar is as yet not guilty.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/the_incredibles/
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
He probably hated Nemo and Monsters, Inc. too.

I go to every Pixar movie with really high expectations for some reason and am always disappointed. Looking back, there is only one Pixar movie that I liked much at all and that's their very first two minute one before Steve Jobs got involved with the company. I don't know why people find their stuff so irresistible. And it's not the genre that's a problem for me either, because I loved Shrek and even some normal Disney flix. I will go to this one one opening day with high expectations again, but I am realizing that they aren't going to be as high as last time.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

hayesk
Nov 2, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I go to every Pixar movie with really high expectations for some reason and am always disappointed. Looking back, there is only one Pixar movie that I liked much at all and that's their very first two minute one before Steve Jobs got involved with the company. I don't know why people find their stuff so irresistible. And it's not the genre that's a problem for me either, because I loved Shrek and even some normal Disney flix. I will go to this one one opening day with high expectations again, but I am realizing that they aren't going to be as high as last time.
Perhaps because you like one-time sight gags and pop culture references over a good story? Seriously, that's the big difference - Pixar starts with a story and refines it and then does the production. Dreamworks seems to slap together a quick story and flesh it out with sight gags and pop culture references.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Perhaps because you like one-time sight gags and pop culture references over a good story? Seriously, that's the big difference - Pixar starts with a story and refines it and then does the production. Dreamworks seems to slap together a quick story and flesh it out with sight gags and pop culture references.

I don't think that's it. In fact I think the Pixar stories seem a little thin. And again, I really WANT to like their movies since I love SJ and Apple and computers and graphics etc so much but they just seem to be missing something.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

hayesk
Nov 3, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I don't think that's it. In fact I think the Pixar stories seem a little thin. And again, I really WANT to like their movies since I love SJ and Apple and computers and graphics etc so much but they just seem to be missing something.
I really don't make the connection between SJ/Apple and the Pixar films. It isn't SJ - it's John Lasseter and his crew. After seeing their production processes, I think my opinion is justified. They work to refine the story and the jokes far more than the other studios. I'm not sure what you mean by "thin" - they're not supposed to be ultra-complex plots - just good ones that are entertaining over and over again. I can watch any Pixar film over and over again - I was bored of Shrek after the second viewing.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I can watch any Pixar film over and over again - I was bored of Shrek after the second viewing.
Hey I like Shrek, and prefer it to Finding Nemo actually. In fact, I bought Shrek, and didn't buy Finding Nemo. However, both are good movies, as are all of the rest of Pixar's movies. OTOH, I DON'T think of any of Pixar's movies (or Shrek) as being in my top 10 faves though. Face it, they're kids' movies, even if they're kids' movies that adults (like me) can enjoy immensely.

Anyways, there are lots of reviews rolling in now for The Incredibles, and they confirm the initial impressions... It rocks. And once again it's gonna make a gazillion bux for Pixar/Disney.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2004, 10:22 AM

The Incredibles opens today.

Metacritic: Average rating 89/100
Rotten Tomatoes: 96% positive reviews, Average rating 8.4/10

So who is going to see it today? I can't go until Saturday.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 11:12 AM

I was going to see it today, but I'm babysitting a friend's 9 year-old tomorrow, so I'll take him to it then.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
I was going to see it today, but I'm babysitting a friend's 9 year-old tomorrow, so I'll take him to it then.
don't forget to bring him back...

you will all lurve it, i have seen it, and it spectulous.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2004, 12:43 AM

Pixar Stock Hits Record on 'Incredibles'

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Pixar Animation Studios Inc.'s stock rose to an all-time high on Friday, lifted by expectations for the success for its latest computer-animated film, "The Incredibles."

Shares in Pixar, whose films are released through a partnership with Walt Disney Co., rose 4.44 percent to $84.45 at the close of trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Earlier they touched $84.94.

Pixar, which is chaired and majority-owned by Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs, held previews of the film for Wall Street financial analysts earlier this week.

The buzz those previews generated, plus favorable reviews in national publications such as the New York Times, has helped lift the shares, said Jefferies analyst Robert Routh.

Routh expects the film to bring in about $610 million worldwide.

Just how frickin much is Steve Jobs worth these days?

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 12:55 AM

i saw it today. it was entertaining. i liked it as much as the other Pixar movies, they're fun to watch, but not too great, besides Toy Story, Toy Story was great.

btw, 141/145 good reviews on RT.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 01:11 AM

Wow, Renderman has definitely been enhanced or something after seeing this phenomenal movie. The "wet hair" was chilling it was so real.

....and 1 more for extra measure:

Forum Links
Forum Rules