Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stupidest thing you have done to your iPod

Stupidest thing you have done to your iPod
James L
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:20 AM

Hey all!

Tonight my wife dropped my brand new iPod onto the concrete as she was getting out of the car. Thankfully it was in its case, so the only thing that actually hit the concrete was the iTrip, which was chipped a bit. It got a good bounce, but all seems to be working fine.

Sooooo, this made me wonder what the stupidest thing you have done with your iPod was, the closest to death it has been, etc?

Cheers!

James

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:23 AM

I lent it to a friend. I never thought it was comin back.

Thank goodness it did.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 02:23 AM

I think I dropped it a couple times, but it still works. It's the old 10GB model. Stupid thing, may be leave it inside the grove box overnight and parked on the driveway.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Nov 8, 2004, 02:26 AM

Took it back to the store a week after buying it, thinking it was money better spent elsewhere.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I lent it to a friend. I never thought it was comin back.

Thank goodness it did.
I lent my iPod to my brother, well actually we co-own it.

Either way he lost it. Atleast I think he did, and he thinks he did. None of us have started looking for it, it has been missing for 2 months. I probably won't see it again

We're idiots.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2004, 02:34 AM

I think I've dropped it a few times. I have it in a hard case so nothing bad has come of it. Actually, the stupidest thing I did was put it in the hard case to begin with. It's an iSee and the front plastic cover left huge scratches across my screen.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:38 AM

let a girl borrow it. one scratch on the LCD on an otherwise perfect iPod .
iamwhor3hay

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
let a girl borrow it. one scratch on the LCD on an otherwise perfect iPod .
At least... did you get some good benefits from lending it to her?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:06 AM

I teabagged mine on the keys and wheel (3G). My buddy was hinting at "borrowing" it, so I took a pic of my balls on it, then put it on his door.

Come to think of it, that was probably the best thing I've done to the rozwadPod.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 03:09 AM

I let my sister borrow it for a week. It came back with a bunch of Celine Dion & Justin Timberlake music on it.

..... never again.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
I let my sister borrow it for a week. It came back with a bunch of Celine Dion & Justin Timberlake music on it.

..... never again.
rough, I feel your pain.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 03:25 AM

umm... i'd post it here, but i think there might be minors reading this so i wont.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I teabagged mine on the keys and wheel (3G). My buddy was hinting at "borrowing" it, so I took a pic of my balls on it, then put it on his door.

Come to think of it, that was probably the best thing I've done to the rozwadPod.
... if that's the *Best* thing you did to your pod .. I dont wanna know what's the worse...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I think I've dropped it a few times. I have it in a hard case so nothing bad has come of it. Actually, the stupidest thing I did was put it in the hard case to begin with. It's an iSee and the front plastic cover left huge scratches across my screen.
I highly recommend the iSee - hasn't scratched my iPod in an perceptible way. It has saved me from quite a few scratches. I have dropped my iPod around a half dozen times. My brother always takes me to task for it because he's never mistreated it in the least. The worst incident was when I tried to take my iPod without remembering to disconnect it from my car's tape adapter, which sent it hurtling onto the asphalt. Certain albums would skip, and I could not get into disk mode without the disturbing repair icon being displayed. I had to force it into disk mode and restore it, but my iPod returned to full functionality after that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I highly recommend the iSee - hasn't scratched my iPod in an perceptible way. It has saved me from quite a few scratches. I have dropped my iPod around a half dozen times. My brother always takes me to task for it because he's never mistreated it in the least. The worst incident was when I tried to take my iPod without remembering to disconnect it from my car's tape adapter, which sent it hurtling onto the asphalt. Certain albums would skip, and I could not get into disk mode without the disturbing repair icon being displayed. I had to force it into disk mode and restore it, but my iPod returned to full functionality after that.
Thats one way to destroy a hard drive sector

..... never again.
from now on just sync before even looking at the songs,

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2004, 03:52 AM

I highly recommend the iSee - hasn't scratched my iPod in an perceptible way.
Well this is what the bastard thing did to mine.

Taking a picture of scratches is kinda hard, but I think you can tell from that picture that it isn't a small scuff. Of course, I still use the iSee since there isn't really a way it can screw it up more, and it still provides that hard-case-protection. But I don't recommend the iSee to anyone.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:

Either way he lost it. Atleast I think he did, and he thinks he did. None of us has started looking for it, it has been missing for 2 months. I probably won't see it again

We're idiots.
Yup.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 07:16 AM

I usually forget to charge it over night!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
I usually forget to charge it over night!
Same here.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 07:52 AM

Sold mine

now I need another one, a mini.

pink one or green
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:54 AM

I recharged it too many times and now the battery life is down below 4 hours! Dog gone it all!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 08:57 AM

I stepped on the remote and broke it..

Yose
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 09:01 AM

I put mine into the pocket of my pants and then promptly bumped into a number of desk corners. Result? A an metal case that could play along to the beat of snapple caps... but it still worked and my gf uses it now.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 09:34 AM

..... never again.
the justin timberlake is good. it sounds just like michael jackson "off the wall".

i have nothing good to say about the celine dion.

entrox
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 10:05 AM

The stupidest thing? Buying an iPod with this ultra-cheap bag that attaches to a belt. The plastic clip broke three times in the 2 years I've owned it, each time sending the iPod hurling to the floor.

I have ripped the damn thing out of the bag and replaced it with a much more robust clip from an old Nokia accessory and lots of super-glue. I've used so much in fact, that the plastic has already become slightly discolored. Oh well, at least it won't break anymore.

*grumble* ... 500� device with accessories worth 0.01� ... *grumble*

-Q-
Nov 8, 2004, 10:16 AM

The dumbest thing? Not putting it in a case and letting it roll around in my bag. It looks like I polished it with iron wool.

My 3G gets treated much more tenderly and is kept at all time in a Contour Design Showcase (love this case!).

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 11:26 AM

Left my Mini out of it's case, after having it in the dock for a few days, to lazy to put it back in of i went, 1 minute later droped it on the front entrance tiles. NICE little dent on the front top left corner.
The case now stays on 24/7 so I'm not reminded of my stupidity every time I see the dent.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 12:21 PM

I put some Michael Bolton song on mine. Yeah, I know...totally stupid.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:57 PM

Let my g/f borrow it. 'Nuff said.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Beewee
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:

Either way he lost it. Atleast I think he did, and he thinks he did. None of us have started looking for it, it has been missing for 2 months. I probably won't see it again

We're idiots.
I lost the adapter to mine, very iritating having to hook the damn thing up to my computer everytime I want to charge it. It's been missing for about 4-5months I think.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Well this is what the bastard thing did to mine.

Taking a picture of scratches is kinda hard, but I think you can tell from that picture that it isn't a small scuff. Of course, I still use the iSee since there isn't really a way it can screw it up more, and it still provides that hard-case-protection. But I don't recommend the iSee to anyone.
Ouch! I have the same case, and nothing of the sort has happened to my 2G 10GB iPod. Is it at all possible that you have the wrong plastic inserts in the iSee? I bet you have a 20, because I do remember reading something about the possibility of scratches from the case with the 20s.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2004, 04:17 PM

Ouch! I have the same case, and nothing of the sort has happened to my 2G 10GB iPod. Is it at all possible that you have the wrong plastic inserts in the iSee? I bet you have a 20, because I do remember reading something about the possibility of scratches from the case with the 20s.
It's a 20, yes. And there are no inserts. The iPod fills it up.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 04:34 PM

The iSee borked my old 5GB iPod pretty badly as well.

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 04:45 PM

I dropped mine on the treadmill last night. It was sitting where the book holder is, and I turned around to look at something, and my hand hit the headphone cord. Down went the iPod. Zip, it shot back about 3 feet and off the treadmill. Not a scratch on it.

This was, of course, the only time I've ever used it without a case.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 06:07 PM

i have dropped my 5gb iPod many times and its still going, i have also dropped my 4G 20gb iPod a few times too...i tried to keep the new ipod nice until i put my keys in the same pocket as my ipod and scuffed the screen all to hell...smart i know...but i got over it

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules