Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook RAM/mobo Problems...

Powerbook RAM/mobo Problems...
flypenfly
Nov 9, 2004, 09:12 PM

So one day my AL 1.33 15" just completely wouldn't turn on anymore. Okay, got it serviced at the local apple authorized center... they said it was a bad mobo and top case. They replaced it, turns on fine... now the new problem.

I noticed that only half my ram was being recognized, two 512mb Crucial/Micron PC2700 sticks that worked fine before. Brought it back, they replaced with another motherboard, same problem!

Individually, the sticks work fine but the upper slot doesn't seem to see ram, now the chances of two bad mobos in a row just seem impossible when its the same problem. I tried using the original Hynix 256mb stick but no go either in any combo except it being recognized on the upper slot (closest to the actal mobo). I'm planning to bring this two hours away to an actual apple store to see what they ahve to say on Thursday but any thoughts?

wedgewood
Nov 9, 2004, 09:40 PM

Micron memory is not compatible with aluminium powerbook. Micron/Crucial ram is notorious for the problems. I don't know why. But it is the story since the first aluminium powerbook had been introduced.

Try the following configuration.
Insert 256MB Hynix memory into the first slot and Micron memory into the second slot. My prediction is that the powerbook only recognize 256MB. Next, switch the slot and find out what happens. My prediction is that it cannot boot.

If your result is same then the source of trouble is micron/curical memory.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

flypenfly  (op)
Nov 9, 2004, 09:56 PM

The confusing thing is, it worked perfectly before and Micron memory is supposed to be the best around no?

Oh it boots in either configuration.
( Last edited by flypenfly; Nov 9, 2004 at 10:01 PM. )

wedgewood
Nov 10, 2004, 03:14 AM

As for alminium powerbook, Micron is a bad choice.

check out the memory in the system profile. Powerbook does not recognize Micron memory so that it show only 256MB.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 11:06 AM

FWIW, I've been using an additional 512MB RAM from crucial.com in my 17" for the last year now--no problems. I'd always gotten memory for my PCs from crucial, so I did the same for the PB.

It may or may not be related, but there's been a spate of RAM <-> AlPB issues/articles lately. The only difference is others are reporting that the "lower" slot memory is not being recognized--even when it previously had worked.

I searched on macfixit.com just now. Here's a link:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...lower+slot+ram

Unfortunately, it's "older" news so one needs a subscription to view the text. I don't have a subscription. I believe other sites are probably reporting the same issue.

HTH,
Uber

flypenfly  (op)
Nov 10, 2004, 02:47 PM

This is messed up.

Picked up a generic 256mb sodimm from bestbuy to test it out.

Works fine by itself. Put it in with the original memory the PB shipped with. Same problem. So it cant be the ram... but two bad ram slots in a row? Is it just a bad batch or something?

When can I demand a complete replacement from Apple if I've had what is it now, three bad motherboardss in a row.

raiste
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 12:50 PM

This has been reported on MacFixit as well as on Apple's site here:

http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/[email protected]

If the above like doesn't work, here is the title of the Apple Discussions thread to search for: "Lost half my ram"

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules