Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Alpine KCA-420i IPOD interface adapter

Alpine KCA-420i IPOD interface adapter
Juggler
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 12:57 AM

I had the alpine adapter installed a week ago on my Honda Civic. I have a CD-9827 headunit. Overall I am pleased with the performance. The slowness of the search feature has been discussed elsewhere in these forums. I can live with this hassle because I usually listen to playlists anyway, and I don't have a big number of them.

However, I am a bit disappointed with the sound quality. Trebles sound somewhat flat.

I wonder why is this. I would like to know if the decoding is done by the iPod (and the sound piped through the adapter with an analog signal) or if the decoding occurs in the alpine adapter itself.

Previously I had the iPod connected to the AUX input of the same headunit (a standard audio cable running from the headphone-jack on the iPod to the AUX input on the headunit). It seems to me that with this setting I had a noticeably better sound. Therefore my guess is that the bad sound quality when using the KCA-420i alpine ipod adapter could be explained if the decoding is done by the alpine adapter.

I have most of my music in AAC files. Later I will test the sound experience using MP3 files.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 01:11 AM

My understanding is that the KCA-420i is using the iPod's line-out. If so, it won't be using your iPod's EQ settings. This might explain the sound difference.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 09:28 PM

Well, I just ordered a bunch of equipment today, including the Alpine iPod unit. Having it installed next week.

I will let you know it sounds.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Juggler:
However, I am a bit disappointed with the sound quality. Trebles sound somewhat flat.
All the audiophiles on SoundDomain that have gotten the KCA-420i and posted impressions have been VERY impressed with the sound quality. What format are the files you're playing on the iPod?
Apple user since 1987

Juggler  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2004, 12:02 PM

I find it indeed puzzling that some other people say that the sound quality is very good. I wonder if there is something wrong with my installation. But what could be wrong since the setting is so simple? Most of my files are AAC at 128 kbps. Macpilot, I would very much interested in your opinion after you install it.

There is just one non-trivial variable in the installation that I am not sure was done properly: the "system switch" in the back of the head-unit. From the manual: "When connecting a processor or driver using AiNET, place this switch in the EQ/DIV position. When no device is connected, leave the switch in the NORM position." I still don't understand in which position should it had been left, i.e., if the KCA-420i is a "processor" or not.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Juggler:
I find it indeed puzzling that some other people say that the sound quality is very good. I wonder if there is something wrong with my installation. But what could be wrong since the setting is so simple? Most of my files are AAC at 128 kbps. Macpilot, I would very much interested in your opinion after you install it.

There is just one non-trivial variable in the installation that I am not sure was done properly: the "system switch" in the back of the head-unit. From the manual: "When connecting a processor or driver using AiNET, place this switch in the EQ/DIV position. When no device is connected, leave the switch in the NORM position." I still don't understand in which position should it had been left, i.e., if the KCA-420i is a "processor" or not.
Getting it done Tuesday. Shall post soon after.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Juggler  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Getting it done Tuesday. Shall post soon after.
Thanks Macpilot!

It would be great if you could test the sound quality with both positions of the system switch on the back of your alpine headunit, i.e. NORM vs. EQ/DIV. (It is not easy for me to do that test now because the headunit is already fixed in its place.)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 02:10 AM

Well, I can't test that switch you speak of since mine is installed.

My observations so far:

For the most part this thing is pretty cool. The instructions that come with it are quite lame.

Yes, the scrolling is slow, but this is compared to scrolling on the iPod itself, which makes scrolling on any other device seem so slow. This makes creating the optimum playlists so much more important.

I quickly noticed the limitation of finding a certain artists. Mine stopped at the "T's". So it appears I will have to make playlists for my artists that come after T.

I also noticed that you can't search for artists, albums, and playlists, once you are playing something when the Mix setting is enabled. So this seems kinda crappy, as you must turn off the Mix (shuffle) feature on the Alpine head unit in order to exit that playlist.

The display on my CDA-9833 is quite nice. I only scratched the surface in terms of different settings on this unit. There are too many. Why doesn't Apple make a head unit?

My issue now is how to mount the iPod so it looks nice. I have a black plastic pocket under the head unit now because the stock Scion stereo was so tall. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 02:40 AM

I forgot to say that the sound quality is excellent. Played some 128 bit AACs from the iTunes store and they sounded great.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Juggler  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2004, 09:55 PM

I forgot to say that the sound quality is excellent. Played some 128 bit AACs from the iTunes store and they sounded great.
Macpilot, what about the trebles? Are you satisfied with them?
Yes, the scrolling is slow, but this is compared to scrolling on the iPod itself, which makes scrolling on any other device seem so slow. This makes creating the optimum playlists so much more important.
Indeed. Also it is not so smart to search for music while driving. Thus dedicating some time to your playlists on iTunes beforehand is the way to go.

Notice that if you really want to search for something on your iPod, say while parked, you can alwasy disconnect it, do the search on the iPod, then reconnect and it will start playing your selection.

I quickly noticed the limitation of finding a certain artists. Mine stopped at the "T's". So it appears I will have to make playlists for my artists that come after T.
How many artists do you have? I have 341 artists and have no trouble seraching them from A to Z.

My issue now is how to mount the iPod so it looks nice. I have a black plastic pocket under the head unit now because the stock Scion stereo was so tall. Anybody have any suggestions?
I prefer to keep the iPod in the glove compartment. It makes for a less cluttered space.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 10:29 PM

I would say the sound is excellent in all ranges.

I have about 440 artists.

The reason I do not want to put the iPod in the glove box is because the lack of ventilation is unhealthy for an iPod. You don't want to expose it to high heat for long periods of time.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2004, 10:37 PM

Actually, most glove boxes aren't completely sealed if you look up in there. And it wouldn't be hard to drill a hole into the A/C duct that runs near the glovebox so that more cool air circulated behind it (and into it through the openings). Just a thought.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules