Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook hack difficult for non-techy?

iBook hack difficult for non-techy?
blindemboss
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 01:23 PM

I'm so tempted by the recent price drops and speed increases of the iBook. But my problem has always been about the lack of video spanning.
I've read of the hack, but I'm not a techy...never been in terminal mode...and I'm wondering how difficult it would be for me to use this hack on a regular basis.

If I use an external monitor everytime I bring the iBook home, is it a quick plug and play, or do I need to type in that code everytime? In other words, what's the inconvenience factor associated with this hack?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 01:34 PM

It's super easy. If you want, you can use the original instructions. Write them out extremely carefully... if you need to, write an exact key sequence so you know what to do without messing anything up. But there's an easier way, called Screen Spanning Doctor. It lets you perform the operation without having to boot into Open Firmware.

It's a one-time deal by the way. Once you use the code, it'll stay with the iBook as long as the nvram stays put (which it does unless you pull the battery and unplug it).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 03:03 PM

screen spanning doctor makes the hack painless

i have one problem w/ it though, how do i select custom resolution? i know it'll auto detect the output source and show the allowed resolutions, but it doesn't detect the right ones for my HDTV. is there a way to edit some file to create custom resolutions? i searched around i found this software. does it really work?

ChaotycEnygma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2004, 01:06 AM

i think im the only one who doesnt know, but what hack is he talking about? can i get a link?
Chicken tastes good when you eat it!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 01:16 AM

We should really make a sticky about this topic.

The Screen Spanning hack for the iBook (and iMac + eMac fitted with ATi video chipsets) turns on a hidden option that gives you screen spanning (or extended desktop, depending on the terminology you want to use). This means you have two desktops, one of which has the dock, menu bar etc. The other one is blank, just has a desktop picture on it. You can drag any program from one screen to the other. People like to use this feature so they can watch a DVD on one screen and do work on the other.

This 'hack' also opens up all the iBook's resolution options. It will detect all those compatible with your external monitor and list them. For my 17" CRT it lists everything from 640x480 to 1600x1200. This hack is essential for people wanting to use an external LCD that is larger than 15", as they have a permenent resolution of 1280x1024 (in the case of 17" and 19" LCDs).

To use it you download the Screen Spanning Doctor, run it and chose to enable the patch. Please note it also has the option there to remove it. The second box to pop up allows you to enable 'clamshell mode' - lets you use the iBook with the lid shut. I wouldn't recommend this as it is a little buggy, and also the iBook vents a lot of heat through the keyboard.

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Forum Links
Forum Rules