Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Photo review - great machine!

iPod Photo review - great machine!
nagromme
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 02:41 AM

I FINALLY took the plunge and got my first iPod yesterday. How did I live without one? Any song, any place!

I show photos to people a lot--and give the occasional business presentation--so I went with the Photo model. I don't care about unloading my camera, I want to show photos--and that's what this is meant for. I went with 60 GB since I can use the backup space to backup most of my HD--and boot my OWN OS X installation with MY files and apps on other peoples' Macs! (Haven't done that yet.)

I got iTrip and iBeam too, and have my sights on RemoteRemote 2 and some kind of case with a flip-open face.

I'll happily answer any questions--just post here. And I'll try to post pictures someplace if there are specific requests. (The basic info can all be found here: http://apple.com/ipodphoto .)

* Overall impression--a great device! If you like to show photos, this iPod is worth it. Most people will get the 40 I imagine. If you don't show photos, you may still like the color screen and the album art. Not to mention battery life. I love how thin/light the 20 and Mini are, but the 60 Photo is still small and easy to carry.

* The iPod and accessories came in 43.5 acres of cling film. (And not a single scratch or dead pixel.)

* After a day using it on and off for hiking, driving, slideshows to TV, playing Brick etc.... I doubt I'll ever use more than 1/4 of the battery. Plenty of cushion there. And no skipping at all.

* Great manufacturing quality and attention to detail all around, from packaging to cables to little things about how it works (like auto-pause when you unplug the headphones). No audio defects that I could detect--even though my non-Apple headphones have a metal ring that contacts the case (and supposedly can trigger an occasional staticky sound in some iPods).

* Great sound quality, to my untrained ear. (FWIW it seems to me that the EQ doesn't seem to have as strong an effect as the same EQs in iTunes.) No audio defects that I could detect--even though my non-Apple headphones have a metal ring that contacts the case (and supposedly can trigger an occasional staticky sound in some iPods).

* I love that I can change star ratings right on the iPod. I have a playlist of the LEAST recently-played songs, and I play it as background for whatever I'm doing. I find lots of songs I appreciate more now that I've returned to them--so I can increase the star rating on the top. And some songs get demoted--what was I thinking?

* The LCD screen is very nice--very sharp and colorful--but it varies with your angle from side to side the way most laptop screens vary from top to bottom--an odd choice, since then your two eyes see slightly different things, which is distracting. The best viewing angle to avoid that is slightly from the left, not dead-on. You probably won't notice in the menus or in light or high-contrast areas, but you will in dark-on-dark details in the dark areas of photos. Still, photos look good, viewed indoors and out. Not as good as my laptop screen in brightness, but high DPI and better than my camera's screen. (Not to mention 240 times the storage )

* In dim light, you can just see the screen without backlight. Not usable in dim light--but as soon as you touch a control, the light comes on, and then it goes off again after 2 to 20 seconds (your choosing). So who cares HOW it looks without backlight? (And in normal light, it IS usable without backlight, unlike a laptop screen. I'd still want the backlight, unless you're talking really bright light.)

* The new UI is really nice. I like that it matches my PowerBook, and it's very readable. Lots of slick OS X-style animated transitions, with things sliding in and out. (Same with non-color iPods I believe.)

* The games are neat, but the Music Quiz that uses your own music is especially clever and addictive. It skips the very start of the song to make sure you don't just hear a silent lead-in.

* Calendars, Contacts, and Notes... all great too. Those use a tiny font, but non-smoothed (which is good for small fonts) and very readable. Calendars don't display iCal color-coding. All events are just red flags on a blue month.

* Alarm clock beep is short--might not wake some people up--but it's cool that it will play for Calendar events if you want it to.

* Time is apparently auto-synched from your computer. Not surprising, but I never knew that.

* Music in a slideshow does count towards playcounts, but does not shuffle. However, a slideshow set in iTunes to shuffle DOES appear on the iPod in shuffled order--and if you re-shuffle in iTunes, the iPod shows the new order. So you can get randomized music without using the iPod's own shuffle anyway.

* For slideshows you can only pick a playlist, not one song or album directly--but you can use an On-The-Go playlist for that purpose anyway.

* Smart playlists are not smart ON the iPod. Example: my "History" playlist shows the 100 most recently-played songs in order--and did not change while on the iPod. It DID change of course when I synched to iTunes (my iPod-played music appeared in the history both on my Mac and my iPod--and slideshow music was included). So the iPod still benefits from smart playlists, they just don't update live on the spot the way iTunes itself does. Not a big deal.

* The included "holster" case is nice--quite rigid back and front plates, but fabric-lined. However, it does hold pretty tightly onto your iPod. That's good in a way, but I've heard some users say it can cause scratches, so I think I won't use it. I might use the included "bag" case if I knew it wouldn't scuff the plastic face over time. I don't know what the material is but it's not that soft.

* Never used earbuds before, but they're actually comfortable. I greatly prefer the sound of my folding Sennheiser PX-100s, but the earbuds are nice and small to just throw in a pocket--and earmuff-friendly. The optional foam covers (came with 4, all alike) are a REAL pain to get on the earbuds, and they're black which doesn't match. But who cares--once I got them on I do like them. Except you have to peel them aside to see the "L" and "R" icons!

* The photo cache on your computer does take up some space. My HD was nearly full (~500 MB free) and it filled it all the way when I tried (for no good reason) to synch 1400 images! OK, fair enough... but the warning iTunes gave me implied that the iPod was full--and that music, not photos, was the culprit! Once I realized it was my PowerBook and the photos that were the issue, I deleted some junk and chose a smaller photo set and I was fine.

* Photo access is fast. As with album art, there is sometimes a brief blank placeholder that appears when as the image loads. But browsing full-screen pre-loads the images into RAM or something because you can flip through dozens FAST. Surprisingly fast--you have to get used to going slow on the wheel. That's good though because you can get through masses of photos quickly and find the one you want.

* Album art is very clear, especially when you click to enlarge. (I don't see a way to make it default to large, which I thought was possible--but most people will want small by default anyway, since then you get the title/album/artist too).

* Slideshows to TV are really cool. Someone who couldn't believe I spent $575 on a music player changed his mind upon seeing photo slideshows with music. You can shuffle photos, making a kind of visualizer as music plays. Too bad you can't shuffle the music AND the photos.

* Transition is a simple wipe right-to-left, or the reverse if you skip back. When you pause a slideshow, the music pauses too--and the pause icon appears and then fades away, OS X-style. Pretty slick. Wipes look soft on the iPod, but not on TV. Looks great either way--the motion's totally smooth.

* TV output looks great but is ONLY for slideshows (I wish it could be for album art). But that's good in a way: the TV shows black while you mess around setting up the show. The prev/next thumbnails on the iPod screen during TV play are neat--but I see no good way to skip past a slide totally. All you can do is double-skip quickly by it, or hit Menu to get out of the slideshow. If you've entered the slideshow from a particular image (like the first photo IN a folder instead of just playing the folder), then the iPod auto-selects the current photo when you exit the slideshow. It's easy then to skip ahead as many as you like without losing your place, and hit Play again. Great! But your music restarts then, and your audience is looking at black while you scroll ahead. It would be nice to do it in a more polished way.

* iPhoto users: you need iPhoto 4 to auto-synch. I don't want to upgrade until iPhoto 5 (for Tiger?) is out, so here's what I did in the meantime: made a folder to synch to and dragged my entire library in from the iPhoto window with Select All. Pretty simple, and they appear on the iPod in order as near as I can tell. Then I made subfolders in the main folder, for some of my albums, so I can more easily give slideshows. I'll have to periodically drag in new photos by hand, and that takes some HD space, but it will do the job until I get a new iPhoto.

* Photo synching to a folder DOES look into subfolders (multiple levels deep), and you can even check or uncheck certain folders at the top level within the main one (you can't see deeper by looking in the Prefs list, even though sub-subfolders do synch). Non-photo files are safely ignored. Unfortunately, that includes aliases, which would have been useful.

* A/V cable looks all-white in the photos--so how do you know what plug goes where? Never fear--look "up" at the "base" of each plug (the way you see them when plugging them in) and you see red/white/yellow color-coded rings.

* I love the 4G scrollwheel--including the fact that it's gray and stands out to complement the screen.

* Yes the back gets smudged instantly (wipes clean), and yes I worry about scratches on the front. But it's so shiny and nice I'll have to get a case sometime. (Thread here--I'm looking for 4G cases even though I may have to wait for a Photo version to be released.)

It was a big purchase, but I've been saving for an iPod for a while, and I'm 100% satisfied so far.

Re accessories:

* iTrip: You can't always find a clear station quickly (in some areas)--but once you find one, it works well. Tune your radio until you find a weak station (doesn't have to be dead air) and then tune the iTrip to match. Where the iPod is located in the car matters somwehat. I tried the suggestion of collapsing my external car antenna but it didn't help me enough to be worth it. I converted (some of) the control files to audibook format (convert to AAC then rename .m4b) and that seems to stop them from coming up at random, as others have suggested. The other control files I just deleted--I don't need THAT many stations. Range is great--I can go into other rooms and still broadcast to my home stereo! FM doesn't equal a real connection--but radio quality is just fine for driving, once you find a station. And no wires or batteries to deal with! Convenience is king. Under $30 at CompUSA--I recommend this product.

* iBeam: gimmicky but fun and useful. Both the light and the laser are very bright. Plenty to read by, and they don't sleep--so your docked iPod can be a nightlight for instance. I wouldn't have wanted a flashlight or laser with its own battery to use up, but I like these running off the iPod which I'll always be recharging anyway.

* I had an awful pair of tiny NON-powered computer speakers in my closet. Yes, such things exist--you plug them into your UNamplified computer audio-out and you get sound from them. Not loud, not good--but louder than just headphones lying on a table, and at least you get stereo separation. They came free with my last (and I do mean last!) Windows PC. So I tried them with my iPod to have music in my kitchen. They work fine. No need for me to buy something fancier, and they need no power source other than the iPod.

OK, I'm off to play. If you don't have an iPod, get one! And consider the Photo model. I'll answer questions if I can.
( Last edited by nagromme; Nov 17, 2004 at 03:15 AM. )
nagromme

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 06:30 AM

* I love that I can change star ratings right on the iPod. I have a playlist of the LEAST recently-played songs, and I play it as background for whatever I'm doing. I find lots of songs I appreciate more now that I've returned to them--so I can increase the star rating on the top. And some songs get demoted--what was I thinking?
This is my favorite thing about the iPod. I've rediscovered music I haven't listened to since college. Smart Playlists in iTunes are the best feature they've ever added, IMO. I love my "Rare" playlist, which serves up songs I haven't heard in at least one year, which I've rated at least three stars. That's like your very own retro radio station... Kickin' it old school on your command. Nice!

Editing star ratings on the go is cool, too. Promoting and demoting songs is fun. "What was I thinking," indeed.

* I had an awful pair of tiny NON-powered computer speakers in my closet. <snip> So I tried them with my iPod to have music in my kitchen. They work fine. No need for me to buy something fancier, and they need no power source other than the iPod.
I have a cheapo pair of non-powered speakers I bought for my PC at work a couple of years ago. They're on my nightstand and work great in conjunction with the iPod's Sleep feature. Definitely better than getting tangled up in headphones while drifting off, or thrashing your iPod off the bed as you toss and turn in your sleep. I love the concept so much, I'll probably upgrade to a good powered set eventually.

Good, thorough review, nagromme... Especially for those who've never had an iPod before. They'll get a lot out of it.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 03:02 AM

Mine is called "Forgotten"--it's the 100 least-recently played songs, that are NOT commented as "Duplicate" (which I use only for truly identical tracks on more than one album), and that are NOT rated 1 star. (That means I get the chance to reconsider songs rated 2+ even though I normally listen to 3+ or 4+, and it also includes NEW songs I've added but not yet played or rated.)

Day 3 and I'm liking this thing more and more I put a 3D animation I did on the iPod as a sequence of stills (easy to do with QT Pro) and it really does play nicely via "wheel-flipbook" method. Rarely useful, but still fun
nagromme

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 06:28 AM

Wow!

That's the longest first impressions I've ever seen. Excellent. The 'pod people have another member!

I've just got a new iPod too. It's my third so I guess that makes it my tri-pod.

I wonder if there's anyone who has actually ever gone "this is crap, I hate my iPod." (If there are, I bet they work in Redmond (Microsoft), Round Rock, Texas (Dell) or Singapore (Creative).)

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 06:06 AM

Yes--if they got a defective one

And there's some tech "analyst" in Microsoft's pocket who STILL goes on and on about how the iPod will never become a success and how Apple is dead and buried and how he loves his Dell DJ so much more than the awful iPod he got Enderle or Thurott or one of those types.
nagromme

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Nov 21, 2004, 07:15 AM

i bought an ipod mini and i'm still amazed how stunning it is

a work of art imho

plus 1,000 songs is still a helluva lot of songs !!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2004, 11:27 AM

We just got them in the store on Friday, and this li'l bastard has just topped the iPod mini and the G5 iMac on my "most desirable gadget" list.

I promised myself a year or two ago that I'd wait until 80GB-models were available, so I'm lucky in that respect.

My 5GB will have to last another year or so...

I do wish it were possible to browse albums by cover, though.

fritzw1957
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 09:26 AM

Be VERY careful if you elect to use your iPod as a boot device!

While the idea is very tempting, I've burned out a 15GB iPod by putting OS X on it and using it as a boot device - the simple fact is that the hard drive in these devices were never intended to do heavy duty cycle work such as this.

YMMV, but I don't recommend this to anyone with a 'pod of any flavor. Just use it as it was intended and enjoy it for what it is.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 10:25 AM

I just drove down to Denver to the Cherry Creek store on Friday, the 19th and got a 60 GB. It's my 6th iPod. Sold the 4th and 5th ones, still have an original 5GB and 2 minis(one has a dead main board, waiting for replacement).
As with you, I'm very impressed with my new toy. I got an "XtremeMac" sleeve to protect the shinies. I think I'll break my tradition and NOT beadblast the case on this one. 600 bucks plus is too much for me to be voiding the warranty this time.
With some judicious trimming of duplicate songs (THANK YOU APPLE for the new feature in iTunes)I have almost got all the music I want onto the iPod. It's time consuming still, but better than doing it in total manual.

All in all, I like the way the iPod is evolving. Color kicks.

Z

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 12:59 PM

I've heard people say you CAN boot OS X from an iPod (maybe problems were just revealing a defective drive?) and I've also heard people warn NOT to. Does Apple warn against it? And how much RAM did you have? Maybe I'll be safer if I avoid hitting the HD constantly for virtual memory.

I probably WILL boot OS X on my iPod some, since I'll be traveling over the holidays and this will let me not carry my PowerBook. (We're not talking constant use, though--a couple hours each for a couple days. Any more than that and I'd want my PB.) After all, an iPod IS intended as a portable HD--and if what you're transferring is big (or for loading a large music library, even) that means prolonged access.

I'll certainly heed the warning and check to see if it's getting hot.
( Last edited by nagromme; Nov 22, 2004 at 01:24 PM. )
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 01:22 PM

Seems like the iPod's HD may be meant for heavy use after all:

http://www.macintouch.com/ipod29.html#nov22

"We then left it to play back for a few hours on loop without any problems. It was a really funny test, and as we showed various people here in our office, no one believed it when we showed them the iPod playing back at full 1080 HD video quality."

"For example, the 40 GB model says MTTF 300,000 hours, no preventive maintenance necessary, product life 5 years or 20,000 power ON hours. If you do the math, you will find that this implies a ~50% duty cycle. Hard disk drives ARE designed for constant activity. There is nothing that would "consume" or "burn out" a disk drive just because it is constantly reading and writing (the only thing that will burn out faster is the iPod battery...). The Toshiba 1.8" drives are no different than any other disk drive."

Maybe your problem was a defect (or even a drop) that happened to reveal itself at that time--after all, it was running your HD harder than for music play, so I can see a defective or damaged HD having a tough time.

(Or maybe the earliest iPods with the earliest Toshiba micro-HDs really DID have a problem that's no longer the case: I see that in 2001, iPod HDs had a MTBF of 20,000 hours. Now it's 300,000.)

I'll still keep it in the dock for cooling when I do that, though. Better safe than sorry! And any further thoughts on this issue are appreciated.
nagromme

Gig103
Nov 22, 2004, 08:42 PM

Can anyone comment about the dimensions? I have a 40gb 3rd gen in a hard case (the front is solid so the new UI isn't an issue) but I want to know if the new will fit inside?
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Gig103:
Can anyone comment about the dimensions? I have a 40gb 3rd gen in a hard case (the front is solid so the new UI isn't an issue) but I want to know if the new will fit inside?
The iPod photo is the same format as the other iPods, and in thickness just shy of the original 5GB iPod (by maybe two millimeters).

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 10:55 PM

It's smaller than the 1st Gen iPod, both in thickness and feel (the rounded edges make a big difference). I recently upgraded from a 30GB 3rd Gen to a 60GB iPod Photo. Those two models are very close to identical in feel (apart from the "sharp" edges on the 3rd Gen's soft touch buttons).

The Photo is a tiny, almost imperceptibly bit thicker than the 3G, but the difference is so small I've managed to use it in the 3G dock without issue.

However, some people who compare it to the current 20GB iPod claim it is TOO THICK to carry in your pocket. I told them to go get a bright pink iPod Mini and just admit they're a girl!

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 01:13 AM

I notice the thickness when carrying the Photo in my pocket, and would much rather the 60 GB were thin like a 20 GB. But not enough to stop carrying it in my pocket anyway

Also, for reference, it's about 1.5 mm thicker than the current 4G 40 GB.

I just got my gray (Titanium) PodSleevz case--fits the photo perfectly and still goes in my pocket. I took some of the plastic the iPod came in and put it between the PodSleevz and the screen for extra protection in case the stitching scratches the iPod (some say it does over time). Minor complaint: the screen opening is just slightly slightly skewed and maybe a mm smaller than I'd like. But I'm happy with it anyway--feels great, fits firmly but still not hard to get on, and you can use the controls just fine through the case, as advertised. I like the feel, too--very much like suede (without the slaughter). You can use the belt case with it--but it's SO tight with the Photo that I wouldn't (unless I can stretch the belt case elastic). You cannot (as the company notes) use the dock without removing the sleeve.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Podsleevz.aspx

nagromme

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 06:07 AM

How much space do photos take? Is it equal to what you have in the iPhoto library. You only get full frame shots, right? No way to scroll? I'm thinking of getting one, but trying to decide if I really need the 60 (Have about 30GB of music).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 07:35 AM

*bump* on question above. The 40s are in stock, but a 60 just sounds so much more inviting.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2004, 04:56 PM

The photos are pre-processed to take up LESS space on the iPod. (Still great quality on TV.) You do have the option of having full-res copies auto-sync ALSO, for backup or sharing with other computers. But you're right, there's no image pan or scroll, which would be nice sometimes (like for maps or documents).

My photo library (about 1,000 or so) on my Mac is about 1.8 GB. On the iPod (no full-res copies) it's 1.3 GB. Note that your photo library on your Mac will gain an iPod cache folder--in my case, about 800 MB, included in that 1.8 GB. (Also, my photo library in iPhoto is probably larger than that 1.8--I've extracted just selected photos, and synch them from a folder, NOT from iPhoto.)

I got the 60 so I could install OS X plus all my apps and home folder for travel use. (Works great so far! I plug the iPod into any Mac and it's like home, without having to have my laptop along.) Plus the 60 is no thicker than the 40... and what's another $100?

Anyway, a couple weeks later I still love my iPod! (And its new RadTech Podsleevz case--total wheel and screen protection even WHILE in use.)
nagromme

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
The photos are pre-processed to take up LESS space on the iPod. (Still great quality on TV.) [...]

My photo library (about 1,000 or so) on my Mac is about 1.8 GB. On the iPod (no full-res copies) it's 1.3 GB. Note that your photo library on your Mac will gain an iPod cache folder--in my case, about 800 MB, included in that 1.8 GB.
um, wouldn't that make your photo library on your mac sans cache 1 GB? and isn't 1 GB (on your mac) < 1.3 GB (on the ipod photo)? how does this jive with your comment about photos taking up less space on the ipod?

you must have meant "not included in that 1.8 GB", no?

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hmmm... your math is right, and I didn't mis-type... so yes, my library GREW from 1 GB on the Mac (before adding cache) to 1.3 on the iPod. Good point!

I don't think that's the norm--I think people get a smaller size on their iPod generally. (Ask someone with a newer iPhoto that actually syncs itself ) Here are my guesses as to the reason I got an increase:

1. I'm synching just a folder of images, not iPhoto--so my folder is probably already smaller than it would be as an iPhoto library (which would have backups, thumbnails, etc.).

2. I'm synching a lot of non-photo images that are simple GIFs--for presentations, etc. All told, 275 non-photo images, vs. 825 actual photos. The non-photos probably INCREASE in size to get to TV quality. Non the usual case.

And of course even for actual photos, the change will vary depending on your original photo size. 3.2 MP in my case. Once on the iPod, all images become about equal as I understand it. So if all my photos were 5 MP, they'd still end up the same on the iPod (if not using the full-res backup option), and it would look like I saved a lot of data space.
nagromme

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2004, 03:11 AM

Just got my 60! Syncing it up now. Didn't get it engraved but I did get a Radtech PodSleeve thrown in for free.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions on a cool icon for when it's docked?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 10:54 AM

I've heard people say you CAN boot OS X from an iPod (maybe problems were just revealing a defective drive?) and I've also heard people warn NOT to. Does Apple warn against it? And how much RAM did you have? Maybe I'll be safer if I avoid hitting the HD constantly for virtual memory.

I probably WILL boot OS X on my iPod some, since I'll be traveling over the holidays and this will let me not carry my PowerBook. (We're not talking constant use, though--a couple hours each for a couple days. Any more than that and I'd want my PB.) After all, an iPod IS intended as a portable HD--and if what you're transferring is big (or for loading a large music library, even) that means prolonged access.

I'll certainly heed the warning and check to see if it's getting hot.
I have installed OS X on my iPod and have booted from it a couple of times. It did get pretty hot during the somewhat lengthy install process. My thinking is that it's okay for a backup/emergency drive from which you boot on occasion, but don't run for sustained periods of time. I booted my Powerbook from it when I was done with the intitial install (if you pare the install down to its bare minimum, it'll take up a little less than 900 MB.) just to make sure it worked, and a couple of times since to run DiskWarrior. I've never left it booted from the iPod for more than 20-30 minutes at a stretch. I think so long as you keep some sensible limits in mind, booting form an iPod shouldn't be a big deal.

Edit: I laid hands on an iPod Photo yesterday at the store. My thoughts? "Oooooh, I WHAAAANT one!"

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2004, 06:07 PM

Re icon: I've noticed it shows up with a cool iPod icon already... even shows the color screen

Re booting OS X.... I copied a TON of data (including cloning my OS X installation), running the iPod's HD non-stop for over an hour, and nearly non-stop for over two hours. I then proceeded to take it with me for Thanksgiving travel and use it to boot my desktop onto other people's computers and do several hours of work at a stretch.

It has worked great! I left it IN the sleeve AND laid flat instead of docked vertically. And it STILL didn't get more than barely warm at any time. I can't answer for anything but the 60, but.... so far it seems to handle extended use just great. (And if not, I'd rather find out under warranty!)

My guess is that these little HDs have just gotten that much better over the years. (And I'm not sure it was ever a widespread problem--there are anecdotes of failures, but I've never seen a warning from Apple, and failures could be the result of a ore-existing defect that's simply more likely to "trigger" the more you run your iPod. Simple odds. That's pure speculation though.)
nagromme

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 06:52 PM

Hey All

I just hope someone will make a CF Sleeve so you can just slip it on and download your photos. I can't believe that No One has done this Yet...

Happy Holidays!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 10:14 PM

Re icon: I've noticed it shows up with a cool iPod icon already... even shows the color screen

Re booting OS X.... I copied a TON of data (including cloning my OS X installation), running the iPod's HD non-stop for over an hour, and nearly non-stop for over two hours. I then proceeded to take it with me for Thanksgiving travel and use it to boot my desktop onto other people's computers and do several hours of work at a stretch.

It has worked great! I left it IN the sleeve AND laid flat instead of docked vertically. And it STILL didn't get more than barely warm at any time. I can't answer for anything but the 60, but.... so far it seems to handle extended use just great. (And if not, I'd rather find out under warranty!)

My guess is that these little HDs have just gotten that much better over the years. (And I'm not sure it was ever a widespread problem--there are anecdotes of failures, but I've never seen a warning from Apple, and failures could be the result of a ore-existing defect that's simply more likely to "trigger" the more you run your iPod. Simple odds. That's pure speculation though.)
I have a Sony VAIO laptop that uses the Toshiba MK4004 40GB 1.8" drive as the main hard drive, so the iPod's drive can definitely take a lot of usage. Like you, I've used my iPod to transfer tons of data and it still works great to this day.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2004, 05:01 AM

I used my old iPod to do lots of transfer and I found it handy to check it with Disk Utility or DiskWarrior every now and then.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2004, 05:16 AM

Good idea. Plus, anything you can drop down a flight of stairs ought to be backed up sometimes
nagromme

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Edit: I laid hands on an iPod Photo yesterday at the store. My thoughts? "Oooooh, I WHAAAANT one!"
My sentiments exactly.

Still, I'm waiting on the 80-GB model.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 11:38 PM

I have less than an a gig left on my 3rd gen 20gb model... I'm hoping for a 60gb photo ipod for xmas!! I hope accessories work with this ipod too though since it's a bit thicker than the norm....

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

ddma
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 01:40 AM

I am dreaming how it would be nice to have iPod mini photo...
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2004, 02:54 AM

Some accessories will work, others will need a new version. The Photo is 1.5 mm thicker than the regular 40.

But EVENTUALLY I'm sure the color UI will be in all iPods. And then, anything with 10 GB or more will probably have the photo features and TV out as well. Eventually.
nagromme

kickerz29
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
Wow!

That's the longest first impressions I've ever seen. Excellent. The 'pod people have another member!

I've just got a new iPod too. It's my third so I guess that makes it my tri-pod.

I wonder if there's anyone who has actually ever gone "this is crap, I hate my iPod." (If there are, I bet they work in Redmond (Microsoft), Round Rock, Texas (Dell) or Singapore (Creative).)
Uh, actually, I think my iPod is crap. I have had to send it for repair twice, and everytime i get a new one, and its scratched and also glitched. My first one didn't even turn on!!! And I know I'm doing it right because I followed the manual to a T. I also thought that Creative started in California.
i, Pod.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 03:34 AM

I can't believe you registered on the board with your first post as a whine, just to downplay someone elses positive attitude.

Originally posted by kickerz29:
Uh, actually, I think my iPod is crap. I have had to send it for repair twice, and everytime i get a new one, and its scratched and also glitched. My first one didn't even turn on!!! And I know I'm doing it right because I followed the manual to a T. I also thought that Creative started in California.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 03:41 AM

Ah forget him. Some punk who decided to troll.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I used my old iPod to do lots of transfer and I found it handy to check it with Disk Utility or DiskWarrior every now and then.
Supposedly from a "genius" at the genius bar Disk Warrior isn't for iPods.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules