Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush almost assissinated

Bush almost assissinated
SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Nov 27, 2004, 09:52 AM

Damn, they almost got the ****er, what a shame, huh? Well, I wouldn't have shed a tear if he was wiped off the face of the Earth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4047199.stm
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
Damn, they almost got the ****er, what a shame, huh? Well, I wouldn't have shed a tear if he was wiped off the face of the Earth.

I am not sure more deads are good things.

I may disagree with the U.S. government foreign policy but to wish an elected representative to die is not acceptable to me, even in taking account of potential controversies around his position.

SubGeniux  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Nov 27, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
to wish an elected representative to die is not acceptable to me,
It is to me. Being elected no more grants him the benefit of life than it does to Osama Bin Laden, IMO.

I hope he, one day, is put on trial or removed from office, however that may happen, and with his henchmen too.
sanathana sarathi

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 10:14 AM

Be thankful. Think Dick Cheney, President
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 27, 2004, 10:23 AM

http://www.briefcounseling.com/?sour...honecounseling

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 10:32 AM

But I thought "All terrorists are Muslims"�.

Has that changed?

begin spin......
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 27, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Abu Bakr:

Has that changed?

begin spin......
I don't think anyone has said that ALL terrorist were Muslims.

Has anyone?

That would be silly.

A good percentage of terrorists are "Muslim" however.

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Has anyone?

That would be silly.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...84#post2301000

Seems like aberdeenwriter and the pig Daniel Pipes think so. And I agree. They are silly.
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

SubGeniux  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2004, 11:34 AM

I predict that this thread will have the following, not so unique, highlights.

Outrage that someone could actually celebreate the death of Bush... check

Laughing at the notion that Bush is a threat to World peace & security, and thus a reason to not be sad at his death... check

Right-wingers frothing at the mouth... check

Moral equivalency betwen Bush & <insert any Islamic terorist, or Fallujah resident> dismissed... check

Right-wing hicks posting their rants in ths post... check

Am I laughing at the usual responses by those right-wing loons (Bush/US apologists) who think they have the morally superior high-ground...? check!!!!
sanathana sarathi

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 11:56 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...84#post2301000

Seems like aberdeenwriter and the pig Daniel Pipes think so. And I agree. They are silly.
You must be feeling like the world is jumping down your throat, so I will resist the urge to make any comments to your post here.

"With time, individual Muslims are finding their voice to condemn Islamist connections to terrorism. Perhaps most outstanding is an article by Abdel Rahman al-Rashed, a Saudi journalist in London: "It is a certain fact that not all Muslims are terrorists," he writes, "but it is equally certain, and exceptionally painful, that almost all terrorists are Muslims. � We cannot clear our names unless we own up to the shameful fact that terrorism has become an Islamic enterprise; an almost exclusive monopoly, implemented by Muslim men and women."
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 12:03 PM

Has anyone?

That would be silly.

Yes, it would be silly. Though I am sometimes pretty silly, I'm (thankfully) not posting sillily in this case.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 12:33 PM

It is to me. Being elected no more grants him the benefit of life than it does to Osama Bin Laden, IMO.

I hope he, one day, is put on trial or removed from office, however that may happen, and with his henchmen too.
Which is different than death, although I see that you do not make a difference in the means leading to one specific result.

I agree that no one should have power of over anyone's life though, and certainly the body count in Iraq amongst civilians warrants opposition.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Yes, it would be silly. Though I am sometimes pretty silly, I'm (thankfully) not posting sillily in this case.
You said sillily

That's enough to make me post giddily

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2004, 01:49 PM

I'd be incredibly shocked if these guys even came remotely close to assassinating Bush. This is barely news; I'm sure ALOT of people plan, unsuccessfully, to assassinate the US President ALL THE TIME (and not just this US President)

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Be thankful. Think Dick Cheney, President
Or worse...the assassination attempt would fall short and merely incapacitate the Prez, thereby rendering him a complete idiot.

THEN where would we be?

heh.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by 3gg3:
You said sillily

That's enough to make me post giddily
By Jove, you caught it!

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
Or worse...the assassination attempt would fall short and merely incapacitate the Prez, thereby rendering him a complete idiot.

THEN where would we be?

heh.
Bluesky, I didn't realize how much I missed you til I read your post. Your seemingly ever-present whimsy is a welcome breath of fresh air to me today.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 02:55 PM

Bluesky, I didn't realize how much I missed you til I read your post. Your seemingly ever-present whimsy is a welcome breath of fresh air to me today.
I'll be back for the impeachment.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 03:25 PM

I, obviously, don't expect that to happen. However, should it take place, I bet you'll learn some things about your President that would surprise you. (In a good way, of course.)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 04:07 PM

I haven't been able to find this on any U.S. news sites. It's funny how things like this don't get published in the mainstream U.S. news.

Isaac
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2004, 04:18 PM

I am not sure more deads are good things.

I may disagree with the U.S. government foreign policy but to wish an elected representative to die is not acceptable to me, even in taking account of potential controversies around his position.
even within the context of democracy/republicism being in anyway legitament; as the people effected by US forign policy are not the ones allowed to vote in the election, such rational as "he can be voted out" is irrelevent to those trying to protect themselfs from violence commited and perpetuated by the US.

"Capitalism is man exploits man, in communism it's the other way around" -- some guy...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 05:28 PM

Nevermind.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 27, 2004, 07:35 PM

I mean Ted wasn't a Muslim. Either was Timothy McVay.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 08:16 PM

Almost? Did a bullet just miss his head? Were gunmen apprehended in the vicinity of Bush? Those types of things would be "almost".

No would-be assasin got anywhere near the President, and if they did, they obviously didn't have the guts to carry the job out.

So they're either spineless or full of crap. Since you're so excited about this, you can take you're pick of the two.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 27, 2004, 08:26 PM

I predict that this thread will have the following, not so unique, highlights.

Outrage that someone could actually celebreate the death of Bush... check

Laughing at the notion that Bush is a threat to World peace & security, and thus a reason to not be sad at his death... check

Right-wingers frothing at the mouth... check

Moral equivalency betwen Bush & <insert any Islamic terorist, or Fallujah resident> dismissed... check

Right-wing hicks posting their rants in ths post... check

Am I laughing at the usual responses by those right-wing loons (Bush/US apologists) who think they have the morally superior high-ground...? check!!!!
Loon, wishing for the death of a living person, thereby letting it known what a loon he really is.

Check.

Heck, I don't even wish the death of Osama.

Wouldn't mind him being caught though.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Nov 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

Heck, I don't even wish the death of Osama.
Then thou art a better man than I. I wish Osama death every second of every day. And all his ilk that support or sympathise with him or his spinoff Islamafascists around the globe.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 11:09 PM

Has that changed?

begin spin......
I do not believe all Muslims are targeted, but they do appear to be a center of attention these days...

Nevertheless, the U.S. has been involved for several decades in Colombia where political consultants have been involved in their local politics.

According to Hernando Calvo Ospina, a journalist of Columbia who published an article in Le Monde Diplomatique of November 2004, USAID has recently contracted DynCorp (since 2003, owned by CSC aka Computer Science Corp. who sponsored cyclists on the last Tour de France) to operate on the war on drugs. But DynCorp has apparently been involved in Columbia since 1993.

Other Military/Security contractors have been involved in Columbia since at least 1987, under the approval of the local government as well as the various major land owners and drug lords whom hired such organisations. Hod He'hanitin (aka Spearhead Ltd) from Israel, was hired to train paramilitary personel. Ex-Mossad and SAS officers also trained personel on Texas Petroleum Co. land in Columbia. The mercenaries were used to fight people suspected to be part of the local guerilla. It also appears, according to the U.N., that about 140 such paramilitary organizations are involved in fighting guerilla sympathizers as well as Union sympathizers and countrymen.

The U.S. has fought back, with the approval of the Columbian government (also threathened to see any "aid" removed as well in case of crimes reportable to the International Court of Law), any attempt to interfere with the oil exploitation by petroleum consortia. Military and surveillance equipment were provided by several U.S. corporations with expertise in the field (Nortrup Gruman Corp., ACS Defense, Rendon Group, Lockheed Martin, ManTech, TRW, Matcom and Alion, those last 4 for surveillance). 1.30 Billion U.S. Dollars were invested from the U.S. for the purpose of maintaining security personnel for the main foreign oil exploitation corporations.

Considering that instructors have been involved for close to 20 years in Columbia to assist them in providing their own security, it is surprising that the U.S. is still investing so much on the basis that Columbians are not yet ready to take over...

Note also that the article mentions that other oil exploitation companies have used external agencies from other countries (like Texaco using Defence Systems Ltd, and British Petroleum, Total and Triton using hat subcontractor as well as Silver Shadow from Israel.

The "Columbian Insurectionists", fighting for the right of Columbians to share the wealth from the exploitation of oil as well as defending the intetrest of that nation are tamed by using the resources sent in Columbia for the war on drugs.

So it does not appear surprising that Bush could be a target for assassination in Columbia, even if his participation in this conflict is far and remote.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2004, 10:59 AM

I saw this while away on the Thanksgiving holiday. It didn't seem to get too much play here in the mainstream american press. This leads me to believe they caught some guys planning to do harm to President Bush but getting nowhere near the ability to carry it out.

Having said that, I would take NO comfort in the assassination of President Bush. I despise the man's politics but I would not wish him dead as a result of my feelings towards him. He is our President, for good or ill, and I don't want him assassinated for the turmoil it would cause in this country.

On a side note, I believe it was President Clinton who had the highest number of death threats issued against him. During the Monica Lewinsky scandal there was lots of talk about how could their assignations possibly take place with the President constantly surrounded by Secret Service agents. And I remember it was mentioned in passing in a newspaper article that President Clinton averaged something like 1500 threats against him every year he was in office.

<inflammatory rhetoric mode>
So, it looks like Clinton is better than Bush, Jr. yet again.
</inflammatory rhetoric mode>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2004, 11:07 AM

With a large majority in the House AND Senate? You're daft.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 01:11 AM

I do not believe all Muslims are targeted, but they do appear to be a center of attention these days...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...38#post2305838

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I haven't been able to find this on any U.S. news sites. It's funny how things like this don't get published in the mainstream U.S. news.
Thats because it wasn't news. Someone thought about killing the president. Happens all the time.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2004, 12:42 PM

Nice... from what I have read it wasn't even that close to him being assinated. They pick up the plot early enough. Sorry to disappoint you though. I'm sure you mourned the death of a real terroist in Arafat though. I still don't get all the hatred for President Bush? I mean they guy is doing what should have been done a long time ago in taking care of these terrorists and terrorist nations. Unfortunately I don't think enough is beoing done. Glad you are on the other side of the pond and not in the US with your attitude.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Nice... from what I have read it wasn't even that close to him being assinated.
I believe it was Carolyn Parrish who assinated him! And now she's been assinated!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 2, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
With a large majority in the House AND Senate? You're daft.

Those evil republicans will do anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules