Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > buying for editing: dual 2.0 vs. dual 2.5?

buying for editing: dual 2.0 vs. dual 2.5?
thecavin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 04:41 PM

I am buying a g5 system right now, and am in debate between the dual 2.0 and the dual 2.5. My concerns are...is it worth the money for the step up to 2.5ghz from 2.0? also, is it worth the step up for the graphics card the dual 2.5 comes with, as well as the increased frontside bus (and while we're there...what exactly does that bigger frontside bus do?).
I've heard some say that for editing, you should save the $$$, get the dual 2.0 and spend the extra money on more RAM. I don't know.

I'll be using the system for everyday stuff (email, internet, itunes, etc.) and then for FCP HD editing, editing DV on it, and maybe HD-V when that's available. I don't do a lot of intense motion graphics, really just stuff inside FCP (with the motion tabs within in the clip) and use FCP video filters as well. I'll explore livetype more and a little soundtrack. Also, will use iDVD to build simple dvds, just to give clients rough draft stuff...MAY step up to DVD Studio Pro at some point. any suggestions?

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2004, 05:34 PM

Buy the fastest you can afford for what you want to do now. If you can conceivable spend the extra dosh for the 2.5 get it. There is a significant speed bump from the dual 2.0 to the 2.5. Checkhere for more info for FCP editing.

Basically buy the best you can, that includes more RAM, better video card, harddrives. I'd look elsewhere than Apple for RAM though.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2004, 07:52 PM

the above link should read

barefeats.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules