Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spider-man 2 Question

Spider-man 2 Question
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 09:56 PM

I just rewatched Spider-man 2 on DVD tonight, and there was one line that bothered me even when I saw it in theaters. When Peter's Aunt is selling all her stuff, Peter remarks about his old magazines. Now, from what I'm thinking, he might have some valuable ones that he could see off and maybe keep his Aunt's head above water financially. But his Aunt just says she gave them away and Peter looks bothered. Was there originally suppose to be more to this that cut out, or was it completely random?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 09:57 PM

Are comic's still worth anything? I thought it was an 80's thing.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Yes, comics still have value, but not as high as before the "crash" in the early '90s after speculation spiraled out of control.

To answer your question, Matt, it's not a big deal. Back in the '60s when Spidey was introduced, comics weren't believed to have much value. Decades later, the copies that weren't thrown out or destroyed skyrocketed in value. For the purposes of Spider-Man 2, you can assume that any comics Peter had weren't old enough or rare enough to be a viable solution to May's financial problems.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:05 PM

Now all the tripe about the tritium. It is gas, not solid, and there is enough of it around and naturally occurring to be nearly worthless.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:18 PM

Substantial value. The crash of the 90's dropped the value on the overprinted and overcirculated comics of that time. The comics of the 70's and earlier can be worth a fair bit o' change. Heavy emphasis on can be, because most of them aren't worth squat.

I have a very nice copy of Incredible Hulk #181 (from 1974) that is worth an easy grand. It is an extremely crappy comic book, but was the first appearence of Wolverine (of X-Men fame), so it is heavily prized. Did a quick Google and found a guy asking 10 grand for an essentially mint copy. He'll never get it, but he may get a few grand for it. And it is just a flippin' comic book.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Now all the tripe about the tritium. It is gas, not solid, and there is enough of it around and naturally occurring to be nearly worthless.
The main character was bitten by a radioactive spider and gained super powers. It's called suspension of disbelief.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
The main character was bitten by a radioactive spider and gained super powers. It's called suspension of disbelief.
But why couldn't they pick something that actually IS rare? I mean they had crap-loads of time and money and the best they could do is tritium? I bet someone just randomly picked it off the table of elements.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:40 PM

But why couldn't they pick something that actually IS rare? I mean they had crap-loads of time and money and the best they could do is tritium? I bet someone just randomly picked it off the table of elements.
Would you've been happy with unobtainium? How about reallyrarium?

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 11:46 PM

It sounds like titium, I'm happy.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
It sounds like titium, I'm happy.
I take it that your a titium guy, not an assium guy? Me? I like both elements.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 11:54 PM

Solid tritium is indeed rare.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 01:54 PM

I think the scene was in the movie because a huge percentage of the adults watching the movie were spiderman freaks when they were kids and had their comics tossed when they went away to college and thus could relate! That's all. And yeah maybe they could have helped her situation, but like it is for the viewers of the movie... too late!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2004, 02:06 PM

i was bit by a hooker, what does that mean?

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
haha, but three honest points:

Who cares about Spiderman 2? It was the worst movie I have ever seen.

Who cares about what the guy was talking about, he was obviously on drugs and hallucinated all this Spiderman stuff....

And finally, it had the cheesiest ending that I have ever heard, "Go get 'em tiger." Good lord, that movie was worse than eight-legged freaks...

When all is said and done, that is one f-ed up movie

SuperNova

Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Super Nova:
Who cares about Spiderman 2? It was the worst movie I have ever seen.
It might not be the best movie in the world but calling it the worst movie you have ever seen is pretty stupid with all that other crap out there.

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 04:54 PM

It might not be the best movie in the world but calling it the worst movie you have ever seen is pretty stupid with all that other crap out there.
Well, i have never seen anything worse so i will call it the worst movie i have ever seen

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 04:56 PM

that movie was worse than eight-legged freaks...
I wouldn't go that far......

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 5, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Would you've been happy with unobtainium?
That is what PRS guitars claim it's guitar nuts are made of.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:07 PM

Well, i have never seen anything worse so i will call it the worst movie i have ever seen
Well, my guess there's a lot of inside jokes you're not getting. For example, MJ always called Peter "Tiger" in the comic. It's sort of like the scene im X-Men when Wolverine complains about the outfit and Cyclops asks him if he would prefer yellow spandex, which is what he would always wear in the comic.

It's always odd when people say one movie is the best or the worst - it's totally subjective on what is best or worst for you. There are people who love chick flicks and there are people who love horror and will put a movie from their favorite genre at the top of their list.

I do find it hard to believe you haven't seen a movie you found worse than Spider-Man 2... what else did you not like about it?

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
Was she radioactive?
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:16 PM

Anyone who thinks Spider-Man 2 is the worst movie ever should be forced to sit through Captain America, both versions of The Punisher, Superman IV, Batman and Robin, and Masters of the Universe... in one sitting.

Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:17 PM

Anyone who thinks Spider-Man 2 is the worst movie ever should be forced to sit through Captain America, both versions of The Punisher, Superman IV, Batman and Robin, and Masters of the Universe... in one sitting.
Or super Mario Brothers

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 05:20 PM

I agree with Super Nova. It`s not the worst movie I ever saw, but one of the worst in a long time. Why?

It`s over-hyped.

I had the feelling of hearing the same speech over and over and over and over again by every characters. �With great powers comes great responsability� declined in every possible way. There is no depth in both movies.

Technical achievement? Yes and know. It works, but every shots scream CG so loud that I couldn`t concentrate.

Again it`s very personal, but I find it sad when they spend millions on a movie with a very thin plot and too much eye candy to make you forget about it.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
I agree with Super Nova. It`s not the worst movie I ever saw, but one of the worst in a long time. Why?

It`s over-hyped.

I had the feelling of hearing the same speech over and over and over and over again by every characters. �With great powers comes great responsability� declined in every possible way. There is no depth in both movies.
The plot isn't thin or shallow; it's just a universal theme. The reason Spider-Man's story has worked for 42 years (and counting) is because so many people can identify with it. He's a superhero, but he still has a hard life. A 16-year-old kid gains fantastic powers -- at first he thinks they can solve all his problems, but his arrogance and irresponsibility gets his uncle killed. That's when he learns that with great power comes great responsibility (a phrase that should be repeated since it's the theme). In the second movie, we revisit the theme, but in a different way. Peter knows he has a great responsibility, but how does he fulfill it? He saves lots of people by being Spider-Man, but he also endangers his loved ones. That's not the most complex idea in the world, but it's not shallow.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 06:01 PM

No, the story is not great. Definitely not the worst in the world. Th experience is pretty good.

Kind of like drinking antifreeze.

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 11:15 PM

yeah, except nobody would sit through one of those movies because they're all comic book characters. Most people aren't comic book fans and those who are tend to stick to the book because they tend to be better.

SuperNova

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 12:12 AM

yeah, except nobody would sit through one of those movies because they're all comic book characters. Most people aren't comic book fans and those who are tend to stick to the book because they tend to be better.
Actually, while there is a Masters of the Universe comic, it began as a cartoon and a toy line. Anyway, I'm guessing you don't know many comic fans. "Regular" book fans may avoid movies because they prefer the book experience, but many (dare I saw most?) comic-book fans love to see the characters on the big screen. Those movies I named sucked (especially Captain America, which is truly craptacular), but there have been lots of movies that have been praised by comic-book fans (Superman, Superman 2, Batman, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and X-Men 2 all come to mind). Furthermore, those movies were enjoyed by non-fans as well.

BTW, lots of people sat through Superman IV as well as Batman and Robin. Of course, by "lots of" I mean "way too many."

Ham Sandwich
Dec 6, 2004, 12:57 AM

I grew up on Spiderman comics and just watched part 2. I thought it was pretty true to the stories I remember reading. Speaking of, out of all the comics I've owned (and there's been a lot!) I've kept all the Spider-Man ones. Though they were fantasy, they still had a lot of "real life" in them and didn't seem so way out there. It was easy to identify with Peter in a lot of respects - apart from the radioactive-super-hero-thing, he was a normal nerdy guy you could feel sorry for.

Of course, the movie had the gratuitous nipple shot from whatshername that played MJ like the first movie did. Is that in her contract or something?

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 01:02 AM

mah bad...

SuperNova

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
I grew up on Spiderman comics and just watched part 2. I thought it was pretty true to the stories I remember reading. Speaking of, out of all the comics I've owned (and there's been a lot!) I've kept all the Spider-Man ones. Though they were fantasy, they still had a lot of "real life" in them and didn't seem so way out there. It was easy to identify with Peter in a lot of respects - apart from the radioactive-super-hero-thing, he was a normal nerdy guy you could feel sorry for.

Of course, the movie had the gratuitous nipple shot from whatshername that played MJ like the first movie did. Is that in her contract or something?
i don't remember a nipple shot...... maybe the moive is better than i thought.......
haha
SuperNova

Ham Sandwich
Dec 6, 2004, 09:16 AM

i don't remember a nipple shot...... maybe the moive is better than i thought.......
haha
SuperNova
Yeah, it's towards the end during the final Doc Oc fight scene when she's all trussed up and getting wet...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:40 AM

Or super Mario Brothers
That could easily kill a man. Or a horse. Or even better, a centaur. You know its true.

dgs212
Senior User
Dec 6, 2004, 11:12 AM

Super Nova -

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be a good movie?

The Mick
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 12:45 PM

Had to revive an old thread, just saw the movie finally.
My question is how did Harry know where Doc Oc had taken MJ at the end of the movie when Peter asked him? Doc Oc never told him anything, he just produced Spiderman in exchange for some tritium, then ran off.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 12:50 PM

Logic works.
Touch�.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
That is what PRS guitars claim it's guitar nuts are made of.
That's impossible, I've never even seen a guitar's penis, much less its nuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules