Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wired works, wireless doesn't? Through the same router?

Wired works, wireless doesn't? Through the same router?
jholmes
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 08:18 AM

Installed a new wireless router into our existing network. Config is DSL modem into Wireless router into ethernet hub to wired ethernet LAN.
WIred LAN performs flawlessly but I can't make the wireless hub work at all. It's a Netgear MR814 and had the latest firmware. It's set to DCHP and even with WEP disabled, won't hook up - It does a strange thing.
Hardwired, the system links up and produces a 192.168.0.XX Ip and a 255.255.255.0 subnet. Unplug the ethernet cable and the same IP stays and it shows an Airport card hook up but no web pages. Renew the DCHP lease and the IP changes to a completely different IP range - 165.XXX.XXX.XXX and the subnet goes to 255.255.0.0

WIreless computers see the hub and net status says the machine is on a wireless network, But can't access the web.

Any ideas?
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 10:07 AM

Have you now got two lots of DNS/DHCP going on now? I.e the original wired LAN and the new wireless router? Is this the problem?

Have you had a look at the designing airport networks docs for reference?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/air...rks0190271.pdf

I think you'd need to turn off the DHCP on the wired LAN

Or perhaps put the wireless router last (reverting to original set-up) and set it up as just a wireless access point, i.e. no dhcp.

I'm only going off problems I've had/about to have at home with a ADSL connection > ADSL modem/router > Airport Extreme Base Station.

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 10:34 AM

Turn off the DHCP server on the NetGear. Also connect it to your existing router using the Netgear's uplink port (if it has one) or one of the numbered ports if it does not. Do NOT use the WAN port. The WAN port is only for connecting directly to a cable or DSL modem.

jholmes  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by John Strung:
Turn off the DHCP server on the NetGear. Also connect it to your existing router using the Netgear's uplink port (if it has one) or one of the numbered ports if it does not. Do NOT use the WAN port. The WAN port is only for connecting directly to a cable or DSL modem.
Won't that take the firewall aspect of the router out of the equation? Essentially that'll make it nothing more than a WAP on the network. Nice, but if it compromises what I've got it in there for from a wired network standpoint then it's of little value.

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 04:09 PM

Sorry, I didn't read your intial post carefully enough. I thought you were uplinking the wireless router to an existing wired router. Ignore my last post. Just make sure, as someone else mentioned, that you don't have another DHCP server somewhere on your LAN and that all computers are on the same subnet.

jholmes  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by John Strung:
Sorry, I didn't read your intial post carefully enough. I thought you were uplinking the wireless router to an existing wired router. Ignore my last post. Just make sure, as someone else mentioned, that you don't have another DHCP server somewhere on your LAN and that all computers are on the same subnet.

I'm thinking that's the problem - both the wireless router and the DSL modem are broadcasting DHCP and it's conflicting. Would I be better off to halt the DHCP on the router and hard code the IPs on all the client machines or how would I go about disabling the DSL modem DHCP broadcast?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 07:08 PM

Is the DSL modem definitely a combined modem/router or is it just a modem? Was it this that was originally doing the DHCP?

Perhaps if you could post how things were linked originally? Was it the hub straight into the DSL modem?

If the DSL modem/router is providing the DHCP then it should be left alone and just the wireless router needs to be configured as a wireless access point. This means disabling the DHCP on the wireless router via the web admin interface.

I'd suggest looking at that Apple document and see if there is a similar configuration to yours in there. You can just substitute the bits where they refer to the Apple airport extreme base station to your wireless router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules